Author Statements/Feats vs Calculations

Topic started by xlab3000 on March 19, 2013. Last post by KingOfAsh 1 year, 5 months ago.
Post by xlab3000 (1,395 posts) See mini bio Level 10

which would you accept and why?

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,289 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Online Now

Author Statement/Feats, since it their story. Calculations are just fandom

Post by MarioRedfield (1,765 posts) See mini bio Level 11

I take author statements with a grain of salt. If they're just arrogantly acting like their characters are gods and don't back it up, then no. Like for example, according to some guidebook Goku can destroy 15-20 planets in SSJ form alone. People like to accept that yet if you bring up something from a Marvel or DC handbook they'll just ignore it and say it doesn't count. So no I'm not accepting an anime handbook. It's a double-standard that's ridiculous.

Post by hitsusatsu11 (10,747 posts) See mini bio Level 20

All acceptable to some degree, i'd rank them:

1) On panel/screen feats

2) Direct data book/author statements

3) Character Statements

4) Calculations/powerscaling

Online Now

@MarioRedfield:

Its the author story and there world. You can't really take it with a grain of salt (since you not the one who created the world)

@Destinyheroknight: But the same could be said about comics, and people don't accept those.

Online Now

@MarioRedfield:

With comics you get different authors, that do their own thing. That does against their other feats

Like Deathstroke beating the JLA without prep, that shouldn't happen since he have trouble beating the titans

Manga usual are more better with the feats, since their only one author

@Destinyheroknight: If there's no proof of it in the actual series, and not only that but there may even be proof countering what the author said, then I'm just going to ignore it. Besides with comics, you just have to ignore what's inconsistent and go for what's consistent... Like with DBZ there are inconsistencies that make destroying 15-20 planets hard to believe. Besides that, people who claim to know Japanese are the ones doing these translations, we may not even know if they're telling the truth, and these books may not even be written by Toriyama.

If I wrote a manga and a character died from a bullet, then wrote a handbook saying they could survive a supernova, would you accept that?

Post by Imperator100 (107 posts) See mini bio Level 15

My personable way of deciding goes:

1: Direct Feats

2: Omniscient Statements

3: Logical Powerscaling

4: Logic

5: Supported Statements

6: Unsupported Statements

7: Contradicted Statements

Online Now

@MarioRedfield:

Besides that, people who claim to know Japanese are the ones doing these translations, we may not even know if they're telling the truth, and these books may not even be written by Toriyama.

kanzenshuu.com is the top DBZ site for translations, I pretty sure they not lying (since they using their real names and they know what they talking about). But the other ones I don't know since I don't use them

The books are not written by Toriyama, but he do tell what to pull into them and also he do the art for them (the data books are just for background stuff). The books are the third form of canon

If there's no proof of it in the actual series, and not only that but there may even be proof countering what the author said, then I'm just going to ignore it.

You know, you should have said that from the start. Anyway, yes if the statements is inconsistent it shouldn't be use

Like with DBZ there are inconsistencies that make destroying 15-20 planets hard to believe

Really!? DBZ is inconsistent, but I do believe Goku can destroy that many planets.

If I wrote a manga and a character died from a bullet, then wrote a handbook saying they could survive a supernova, would you accept that?

Yes, I would. Since your character might have a piercing weakness (kind of like Wonder Woman).

@Destinyheroknight: I'm just saying that if you're going to ignore comic handbooks that are pretty modern, then I'm going to ahead and ignore any handbooks from mangas. It's a double standard and I'm not participating.

I saw one from just this girl online and the guy expected us to just use that as fact... I'm like no.

Even if Goku can destroy that much, the book "apparently" said that he could do that at less than half power.

Although, I think I can see your point. I just hope you see mine. If someone is willing to accept marvel/dc handbooks in a debate, then I'd be willing to accept DBZ ones

Post by Kurohige (3,727 posts) See mini bio Level 19
@MarioRedfield: LOL
Post by SilverGalford (2,951 posts) See mini bio Level 11

@Destinyheroknight said:

@MarioRedfield:

Its the author story and there world. You can't really take it with a grain of salt (since you not the one who created the world)

sometimes you have to do it .

Really!? DBZ is inconsistent, but I do believe Goku can destroy that many planets.

i think he can't .

just because you beat a planet buster doesn't make you one. it's like saying the doom guy can kill Lucifer morningstar because he can beat demons. the character first have to prove his power and ability (which goku hasn't shown in the manga ) and second perform at least something close to that .

Post by taichokage (13,408 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I agree with Hitsu's order (long time no see btw :)
Post by Dream (7,683 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I'd be careful with relying too much on one method of understanding character abilities over another since there can be inconsistencies, contradictions, lack of visible proof and/ or moments of PIS/ CIS that can come up with any fictional title that you read or watch. This is especially notable with American comics since they are made by differing artists and writers who have their own differing beliefs of how potent the abilities of a character are and characters who are ridiculously powerful (Silver Surfer and Superman for example) are often written to lose to far weaker characters due to the necessity of needing some sort of engaging conflict to be written for said character lest the story gets dull due to how overpowered the character is by easily creaming any foe they are up against.

But otherwise unless there are contradictions or holes in the logic, here is my normal way of judging character feats:

1. Visible Onscreen Feats (only cases where I wouldn't rely on onscreen feats would be if the mentioned feat(s) is some form of outlier and not consistent with the power demonstrated by other characters within that series or is some element of CIS/ PIS brought about by the title's storyline)

2. Omniscient Narration/ Author Statement (author is Word of God obviously)

3. Calculations (help provide some sense of how powerful/ fast/ durable the onscreen feat is.)

4. Powerscaling

5. Character Statements (mostly because there can be instances where character statements reek of hyperbole, like many shounen manga/ anime titles tend to do with such statements.)

Post by KingOfAsh (1,389 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Auther Statements & feats. Often people just make up calculations because they're upset that te\heir own character lost, so they dumb down the other guy.

Post by DBZ_universe (15,725 posts) See mini bio Level 17

@hitsusatsu11 said:

All acceptable to some degree, i'd rank them:

1) On panel/screen feats

2) Direct data book/author statements

3) Character Statements

4) Calculations/powerscaling

This.

Post by KingOfAsh (1,389 posts) See mini bio Level 15

I must also say that calculations can be used to back up author statments & feats.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel