Asian Films

Topic started by Supreme Marvel on July 11, 2013. Last post by P3IN 1 year ago.
Post by Supreme Marvel (5,176 posts) See mini bio Level 12

I wanted to start a thread about films that show the glory of Asian cinema. With your help, I would also like to put them into Genre of films. Maybe even a personal rating? You might have similar taste to others and connect more. :D

I.E. My personal ratings

• Seven Swords - Action/Fantasy - 6.5/10
  • Howl's Moving Castle - Animé/Fantasy - 10/10
  • Spellbound - Horror/Rom-Com - 8/10
  • Ong Bak - Martial Arts - 8.5/10
  • 2002 - Action/Sci-Fi - 5.5/10

Edit this post in the second post and put the genre in this one.

Would also like other people's take on this idea. One question is, do you think I should include animé? Or leave it out since the site is full of it?

Post by sickVisionz (4,307 posts) See mini bio Level 24

I've seen probably going on a hundred or so Asian movies, mostly Korean and Chinese, via Netflix. That and its BBC content are the main reasons I subscribe. Some of my faves would be:

• Man From Nowhere - Action/Drama - 5/5
  • Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai - Drama - 4/5
  • Triad Election - Drama/Gangster - 5/5
  • The Yellow Sea - Action - 4/5

There's three more but I can't think of their names. One is about this dude that's a pimp and one of his girls gets kidnapped. He thinks it's just a rival pimp at first but it turns out to be this really psychotic dude. The girl escapes to a convenience store and the pimp and the police eventually figure out what's go in and they rush to save her where she was recaptured, but it ends where the killer just happens to walk past the store and the owner is like, "you have to help me, this gitl was kidnapped by this crazy guy and I'm afraid to wait to here alone with just me and her," and he kills them both (with a fricking hammer... onscreen) and leaves like 5 minutes before the whole cops rushing by thing.

The other one is about this school for deaf kids where most of the teachers and administrators are either child molesters are violently abusive but a reporter and new teacher end up breaking the story and getting the case to goto trial, but everyone gets off with a slap on the wrist due to corruption in the system. I believe it's based off of true story. It's pretty intense but it's really good.

One is a story about these two teenage girls that are friends, one is a prostitute and the other is kinda her pimp. The hooker one ends up jumping out of a window to escape a police raid and dies. The pimp one then takes up sleeping with all the dudes the hooker had as regular clients. Her dad is a cop and finds out and either publicly shames, beats the shit out of, or murders the dudes. It ends with like him and his daughter going on a trip in the woods and he has a vision of him doing a murder suicide with his daughter (I think that happens, maybe I'm remembering what I thought would happen) but it ends with him killing himself. It was really cool because the description on Netflix was like, "the story of two prostitutes saving up enough money to travel abroad." but like 25 minutes into the film one of them dies and it's like oh, this is going to be about something else then.

There's another one where there's a serial killer chopping up women's bodies and this detective/forensics dude is trying to solve the case. His daughter ends up kidnapped by the killers and they want him to... to do something, but I can't remember. Oh, it's to get rid of evidence in their case. Anyways, it turns out that years in the past the killer's sister was gangraped by some rich teens and the forensic dude basically got pressured to be like there wasn't any evidence of rape so the guys got off, her family was shamed due to the media spinning her as this psycho slut who got gang banged then made up some fake charges, and the girl killed herself. Anyways, in the end it turns out that some of the body parts he found earlier were actually his daughter's and that they had killed her probably around the same time as like the opening scene in the film. I think the guy commits suicide at the end.

One cool thing I like about Asian movies, or at least the ones I stumble across on Netflix... mainly Korean ones at that, are that they have like zero hesitation to end on a super depressing note or have the protagonists just completely and utterly fail in their task.

@sickVisionz said:

One cool thing I like about Asian movies, or at least the ones I stumble across on Netflix... mainly Korean ones at that, are that they have like zero hesitation to end on a super depressing note or have the protagonists just completely and utterly fail in their task.

Yeah, from reading all them, I would agree. Depressing.

Post by UltimateHero0406 (5,047 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@Supreme Marvel: I've seen the Ong Bak trilogy.

The martial arts are excellent in all 3. In the end, Tien becomes a complete monster. But the actual story kinda fell apart for me. The 1st one was good but after that, not so much.

So for Ong Bak 1, 8.5 out of 10 as you said. But add in the other 2 and I'd say more 6.5/10.

I also saw a few more Japanese movies

Dororo: Nice little tale about a cursed samurai trying to put his body back together. I give it a 8/10

Blood: The Last Vampire: I believe the anime (Blood +) was based on this. EIther way, the anime story was a lot better than this. I give it a 6/10.

Death Note: L Save the World: Based on the anime of course. I believe that one was focused on L doing what he does best rather than the rivalry with Light. Pretty good imo. 8/10

Casshan: Pretty crappy. 4/10

Post by Acura_Max (2,380 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Online Now

@Acura_Max: Still yet to see that, but soon.

Post by P3IN (330 posts) See mini bio Level 8

I've ong bak, the legendary assassin and some others, I personally enjoyed the legendary assassin, was a good film and had me occupied, was really interesting nonetheless

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel