AnimeVice, I need your opinion.

Topic started by Wales on July 12, 2011. Last post by sharingan_eyes 3 years, 5 months ago.
Post by Wales (133 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Alright, I come to an odd point in the summer where I have absolutely nothing to do. School starts up in a few weeks where I will be working my ass off on my final semester before earning a degree in the field of education (Granted if you've been in the loop about Georgia education, you might consider me SOL). So this is the point where I pick an anime or two and simply grind through them with the available hours in my day spent from eating food or doing errands around the house. I have a small watch list but I need help figuring out which ones are worth the 600+ minutes of investment. So, my question to you is what's good out there right now? What are some good titles that may have been swept under the rug in lieu of shonen titles and more blatant series.  
Post by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (8,779 posts) See mini bio Level 18
Baccano! 
Slayers (any) 
And a few others that can be found on FUNimation's YouTube channel, free of charge.
Post by DocHaus (936 posts) See mini bio Level 18
@Wales: My standard protocol is to direct you to this list of mine whenever I see a vague "What should I watch?" question in the forums. If you have any preferences for genres or characters or online streaming or something to narrow it down, I could give you some better recommendations.
Post by takashichea (14,478 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

Are you taking summer school? Or you just saying that you starting the fall semester in August?

I always thought you had a talent for being a teacher. From your blogs and your mannerisms, I thought this guy could be either in the field of marketing or education.

@takashichea: I am referring to the Fall semester that starts in August. So that gives me roughly four weeks or so to get through some new anime.  

Yeah, I'm an educator major. Last semester. 
Online Now

@Wales:

Summer goes by too fast. I see that you starting school when my summer school ends. The bad thing about my class, it's starts too late. I get 2 weeks of break between summer school and fall semester. It's cool though.

I starting my third year this fall.

Good luck!

Check out the new animes on DocHaus's blog and Sora_thekey's preview. I'm always behind new anime.

Edit: I heard Control C is good (I never watched it yet). I'm working on Blue Exorcist(shounen), and it's a unique start. Yet, it becomes a mainstream shounen. I'm taking the definition from Bakuman and saying Blue Exorcist is another shounen anime.

Did you already finished IGPX already?

Post by thekokapelli (98 posts) See mini bio Level 9
I can recommend Baccano to just about anyone provided you're not squeamish, although that one is pretty well-known and popular, I think.  If you want something that's not as well-known, Welcome to the NHK is very funny (although it's all gallows humor and schadenfreude) and it's a personal favorite of mine.  It has a lot of references to Japanese subcultures, but it's easy to understand even if you're new to anime.  It's more like watching an indie film than a lot of anime.  If you want something that will make you think, Kino's Journey (philosophical but not preachy) and Paranoia Agent is a great psychological title that is witty and insightful without being pretentious.  Higurashi is easily the best horror anime I've ever seen, it's actually a smart and intriguing story, although it's not perfect.  If you're in the mood for a good scare I recommend that one.  Moribito is a great fantasy with excellent execution, beautiful art and animation, intriguing characters, and some really exciting fight scenes.  I hope this was helpful.
Post by sickVisionz (4,311 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@Wales said:

I have a small watch list but I need help figuring out which ones are worth the 600+ minutes of investment.

Where is this list you mentioned?

Pani Poni Dash and Mitsudomoe* come to mind as really funny shows that you might get an extra kick out of since you plan on being a teacher. Good non-comedies that I'd suggest would be Time of Eve*, Kaiba, Kurenai, Shigofumi, and Erin*. Erin is 50-something episodes though so I don't know if that's too long for what you're looking for. It's very addictive though. Takes about 3-5 episodes to really get going but it's awesome if it hooks you.

*Available online on CR

Post by buhssuht (223 posts) See mini bio Level 19

does it have to be finished series or are on going series fine too?

@sickVisionz: Here is the aforementioned list. http://www.animevice.com/profile/wales/watch-list/121-1440/ I appreciate you putting in extra consideration due to the field of education, but it doesn't mean I'm not above the crazy antics in GTO or the sexy ladies of Gurren Lagann.  

@buhssuht: It doesn't matter really. I can go with an on-going or a completed series. 
Post by matti00 (28 posts) See mini bio Level 7

@takashichea said:

I'm working on Blue Exorcist(shounen), and it's a unique start. Yet, it becomes a mainstream shounen. I'm taking the definition from Bakuman and saying Blue Exorcist is another shounen anime.

I'm really not sure how I feel about Blue Exorcist, I've never been the biggest fan of shounen to begin with and this definitely hasn't sucked me in yet.

Post by MohsinMan99 (1,777 posts) See mini bio Level 21
@Wales: Since you say you're open to stuff like GTO and GL, I say you should definitely try out 'Gintama'. First of all, it requires you to be somewhat well-versed with the usual Japanese stuff and what's what of Japan but I honestly don't think you would be having any problem with that stuff.
    It is an ongoing series but about 95% of the episodes are stand-alone and the series just gets better and better with each episode. I went into watching it like it was another one of those typical shonen stories but it became my favorite anime just after 10 episodes. I have now watched the whole series and still wasting for more that comes every week!

Just remember to start watching from Ep3 onwards which is the actual beginning of the story(if you do decide to check it out). I guarantee you will have a SUPERB TIME!
Online Now

@matti00:

Same goes for me when I try to watch Slice of Life type of anime. I love tragic, action, horror, and comedy which reflects most of my work. Don't worry about shounen anime. I'm sure you find something.

No one can truly hate anime because it is like ice cream. So many flavors that you have to try until you find a hit.

Post by sharingan_eyes (330 posts) See mini bio Level 9
@Wales: i say watch Death Note or Code Geass, or if you're in the mood for something older, how bout Cowboy Bebop?
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel