Anime x Reality... what do you want to see?

Topic started by sickVisionz on July 20, 2012. Last post by takashichea 2 years, 1 month ago.
Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24

I'm curious, no matter how grand or mundane, what are some situations you all would like to see happen in anime that break the 4th wall or acknowledge some of the craziness in anime as indeed being crazy? For a while now I've been thinking about writing an article about things anime has taught me about Japan where I pretended like everything in anime was real and then discussed it. Some of the things I as thinking about mentioning but will do here instead are totally centered around cosmetics.

My beautiful and natural blue/pink/purple/yellow (blond Japanese? come on)/green/ hair.

There are plenty of bathing scenes in anime but I would love to see one where there is a character shampooing their hair or at a beauty salon and we seen them dying their hair. One thing that becomes immediately apparent in many anime series is that wild and crazy hair colors are the norm. Everyone has them and nobody ever mentions, "hey, that girl has pink hair." It's funny, because you might have a series set in a school where doing things like wearing an earring is a criminal offense and dress code/personal appearance is taken super serious, but the school is filled with green, blue, yellow, pink, and purple haired students but nobody even notices it. I'd love to see just one scene where someone either makes notices of the crazy hair colors or where maybe two girls call each and the conversation is like

"What are you doing?"
"Oh, not much. Just dying my hair."

I just want something, anything, that acknowledges these crazy hair colors. While we're on the subject of hair...

What do you mean? Everyone has 8 foot long, gravity defying hair, right?

Hair length and magic anti-gravity hair are another thing that I'd like to see acknowledged as being crazy. I mean, look at that picture. The only person with non-crazy insane long hair has blue hair! Now, I've seen women with hair this long in actual real life, but at some point there is always a conversation where someone says, "wow, your hair is really long" and they go into a long winded speech about it. We get the hair in anime, but never the recognition that it's longer than normal. I'd love to a scene with this. Maybe you know, when some girl is getting bullied or envied by the mean girls at the school and someone says, "who does she think she is... with that 6ft long green hair?" Anything like that would bring a smile to my face.

Am I a loner out there wishing for some acknowledgement of some of the crazy aesthetics of anime or do some of y'all also have things that you'd love to see? Maybe some parents who object to the school uniform that that includes skirts less than 8 inches long. Perhaps even some feminist student protesting the end of to rule that says girls must wear bikini bottoms during gym. What anime vs reality situations would you all get a kick out of seeing?

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13
reality is much less provocative
reality is much less provocative

The "bikini bottoms" you speak of are bloomers and they actually used to be standard for the P.E. uniform. I think most schools have switched to shorts these days. I have seen shows where the girls comment about being surprised that their particular school still requires the antiquated sportswear...and no, they weren't "that" type of anime.

The crayola-hair and vivid eye colors don't bother me since I know they're there to make it easy to differentiate between characters. I watched an old 80's anime a couple of weeks ago where everyone had realistic colors and I couldn't tell the cast apart for the first few episodes.

A lot of shows do refer to typical plot cliches in anime such as running late for school with a piece of toast in their mouth then bumping into the one who would become their love or tripping over only to have some girl fall onto your face, crotch first.

We're here to clean up after your filthy ass
We're here to clean up after your filthy ass

The one I'd like to see given more focus (I have seen it just very very rarely) is how all wars in the future will be fought by bratty teenagers. Why are there so many 16 year old's trained to kill in these scenarios? They have trouble enough managing their relationships with the opposite sex and they're given a license to kill? And, while I'm on the subject, what megalomaniac keeps building these exclusive schools which teach a standard Japanese curriculum and modern armored combat 101? When I was 16, we had dodgeball. In the future, Japanese students will have dodge-bullet. Speaking of extravagance, why do the exceptionally rich in anime have about 50 maids to maintain a single mansion? And how do they build these huge estates in the middle of town? Or has the estate always been there and the city itself grew up surrounding it?

One thing which I found curious in a handful of anime I saw was an obscure reference linking a yellow power ranger-type character with curry. I saw it pop up in Bleach, Gintama and Sgt. Frog. I recently found out that the first super sentai show, Himitsu Sentai Gorenger (1975) had a yellow ranger who liked curry. Who knew?

Post by takashichea (12,343 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

Yesterday, I couldn't come with an answer due to wiki exhaustion. God, I think I want to see magic becoming a reality in the real world. Combine magic with science would make life so interesting and easier.

Great blog, sickVisionz!

Post by Bigheart711 (3,915 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Online Now

I also want to see magical powers becoming a thing in reality. Obtaining magical powers when one doesn't have any of those abilities should also be possible if that were to happen. I'd also like to see Alchemy become a real thing too, but that's totally asking for too much, isn't it? XD

Post by asian_pride (168 posts) See mini bio Level 18

@takashichea: @Bigheart711: I would like to see this as well. Even with the technology we have today, it's hard to convey fantasy/supernatural elements in live action that totally doesn't look goofy or uncanny valley-like on screen.

But yeah, I'd like to see powers for real. Also, a lot of anime characters I've seen can jump really high. I wish we could do that. :P

Post by takashichea (12,343 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

@asian_pride:

I wish we could jump or fly, too.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel