Natsuyuki Rendezvous anime discussion

Topic started by takashichea on July 26, 2012. Last post by takashichea 2 years ago.
Post by takashichea (12,353 posts) See mini bio Level 25

Welcome everyone to the Natsuyuki Rendezvous anime discussion! I forgot to open this one for Auron570, UsaChanMan, and you guys a while back.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Natsuyuki Rendezvous

For those who are new to Natsuyuki Rendezvous:

Hazuki, a young Japanese man, falls in love with a flower shop owner named Rokka. One day the shop advertises for part-time workers. Hazuki applies and gets a job there in the hopes of getting closer with Rokka. It turns out Rokka's husband, Atsushi, died years ago due to cancer. However, Atsushi's ghost, who can only be seen by Hazuki, hangs around the shop and tries to drive Hazuki away from Rokka. Natsuyuki Rendezvous follows Hazuki as he tries to care for Rokka and get her to fall in love with him, while dealing off her ghost of a husband.

By Auron570, Shels, and BigHeart711

Please feel free to comment and share your thoughts.

If you have free time, we welcome any help on the wiki pages or promoting the anime with blogs/reviews.

Other Anime Discussion Threads

Please check these out if you are a fan of these new summer anime series.

How do you feel about this series?

Spoilers

I loved this series. It's my first Josei series.

This series make you feel bad for Atsushi who is unable to love Rokka. Hazuki desperately does everything he can to make Rokka smile like she used to be. Though, it was funny that Hazuki jumped the gun and asked Rokka if she want to have sex with him during their trip to an amusement park.

Post by UsachanMaN (4,514 posts) See mini bio Level 15

@takashichea: I stopped at episode 3 but so far (I havent watched the amusement park episode yet) and I like it. I'm not a big fan of the whole mushy-gushy couple stuff, but what really draws me in to this series is for its "real life" feel (besides the fact that there is a ghost hovering around lol). Rokka really does demonstrate the hardships to move on...and how hard it is to deal with the death of somebody close.

All in all, I really like it! And hopefully it continues to get better! :D

@UsachanMaN:

Thanks!

I hope I didn't spoil you. I should have whited out or don't talk about episode 5.

Post by UsachanMaN (4,514 posts) See mini bio Level 15

@takashichea: No prob! :D Dont worry about it, you didnt spoil it for me :P

Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24

Episode 1

I wasn't sure what to expect but I'm getting a very Nana, Chihayafuru, White Album, Aoi Hana, Wandering Son vibe from this so far. What I mean by that is that despite some mild craziness (ie ghost husband) the show seems like a very realistic approach the situations the characters find themselves in. This is my preferred approach to romance anime. The people are real and they behave in a realistic fashion. I saw the first two eps back-to-back so I might be mixing them up, but I love that the main guy confessed already. Now you can actually have a series about a relationship rather than the typical anime thing of the final or penultimate episode being the one where anyone makes their feelings known. Even middle school kids have girlfriends and boyfriends, meaning that someone had to state their feelings at some point. I've always hated that anime treats relationships in such a less than juvenile way, but shows like this buck the trend.

Oh, and on a way less serious note, the main lady has man shoulders. The first time they showed her from the back I was like, "whoa, she kinda looks like a dude."

Episode 2

I'm really enjoying this. I was actually falling off from anime for the past few months but this series has gotten me back into it. Anyways, cool episode. I'm really liking the main dude. It's a breath of fresh air to see an actual real-life man with man tendencies in anime. He doesn't approach relationships like an adult aged elementary school student; he actually tries and is pretty successful at making a move on a woman. Even when he made that lol-worthy mistake and ended up having to leave (another touch I loved, bucking the anime trend of men either being Shinji or Casanova when it comes to relationships in anime) he spit some game at her before he left.

Anyways, good episode. I do wonder though, both characters have expressed their feelings to each other and both seem capable and willing to pursue a relationship. I could see the series ending in like 4 more episodes but I wonder how it will run for 12 or more. Is the story development going to slow down to a snail's pace? Are mystery characters going to pop up to throw everything into a tizzy? Is the main guy going to turn into Shinji and totally retreat into a shell for like 8 episodes in a row? It's been a fun ride so far so I hope that whatever they do can keep up the naturalness of everything so far.

Episodes 3-6

I ended up watching the rest of the episodes in one sitting. I'm still enjoying it but it seems like the stretching has come into play. Outside of the occasional Spice & Wolf like banter, I haven't enjoyed much of the fairy tail parts of the last episodes. I wish they took place 100% in the real world because that's where everything that I enjoy about the series takes place.

I can't remember episode 5 besides Thumbalina Rokka. The thing that still bother about Rokka are her eyes. They're huge!

@sickVisionz:

Glad to see you enjoying the anime!

Nana, Chihayafuru, White Album, Aoi Hana, Wandering Son

I have not tried any of these shows. I'm not a big Slice of Life or romance fan.

Edit:

I'm watching Ep. 6 right now. I find Hazuki like a savior in Auron570's blog, and the show will end when Hazuki brings closure to the Rokka and Atsushi. Atsushi's soul will finally rest once he sees Rokka got over him.

Oh, I forgot to say, Awesome Insight! I looking forward to this show.

Post by AURON570 (572 posts) See mini bio Level 15

I have not really enjoyed the fairy-tale parts either, but I can see that they're trying to make parallels to the relationship between Rokka and Atsushi. Like how in episode 6 they were tending to an injured bird, like how Rokka used to visit Atsushi in the hospital.

It's a lot of pushing and pulling and indecision, kind of like real life I guess, and I feel like it's trying to be really subtle and careful while building up to something big. I can feel it in the way that I watch it. Like whenever I see Hazuki in the real world, I have to keep switching in my head like "okay.. wait.. this is actually Atsushi speaking through Hazuki, so whatever Atsushi says, Rokka is going to be hearing it from Hazuki, how will this change the way Rokka takes what he says?" And then there's lots questions that keep running through my head like, 'who is doing the right thing?', who is going to 'end up' with who?, will there be a 'happy-fairy-tale' ending? None of which have 'right' answers. =\ I'm really interested to see where this series decides to go. However it turns out, it's going to be a really delicate ride until the end. (pun not intended)

I haven't watched this sense episode six because I want to just marathon it all at once, but I get more and more disappointed to see that it's still in the fairy tale parts.

@sickVisionz said:

Episode 2

I could see the series ending in like 4 more episodes but I wonder how it will run for 12 or more. Is the story development going to slow down to a snail's pace? Are mystery characters going to pop up to throw everything into a tizzy?

I hate when my mental red flag shoots up. It's been honed over years and no matter how much I'm loving a series, once it goes off the thing that I fear is basically guaranteed to come true.

@sickVisionz:

I haven't been catching up. Too much shows, work, and so little time in a day.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel