Where I stand with Naruto.

Topic started by Kuro on Dec. 8, 2008. Last post by HeeroYuy 5 years, 5 months ago.
Post by Kuro (559 posts) See mini bio Level 5
Why am I posting this? No idea, attention? Probably. Any who, for anyone willing to read, let me tell you where I stand with Naruto and why.

Naruto, it's probably the most popular anime today in America. Both those that are *Into* anime and kids that see it as a another show on Cartoon Network with an understanding that it's not your every day cartoon full of talking animals and severe anatomical deformities, Naruto is the most  watched anime in today's day and age (mind you, in America).

As a show, I think it accomplishes what it sets out to. Be a fun, mindless, time waster. A couple catchy characters, a couple cool battles, it's an easy way to kill a half hour every week. I personally don't watch the show (though I've watched about... 60 episodes) but I do read the manga in American Jump and collect the volumes. To me, the manga is the same form of mindless entertainment, but much better quality. Though, still. I would not call Naruto unique, nor outstanding.

Is this show's popularity deserved? In my opinion, not to the extent that it is. Naruto is extremely marketable, which makes it really easy for kids to get into. It's somewhat visually exciting, but the animation is QUALITY, and by that I mean crap. It has a somewhat interesting story, with the occasional good arc, but most of the plot twists are uninteresting, out of nowhere, and predictable. The only interesting character, with any sort of real depth, is Naruto himself. Unfortunately, he's annoying as hell.It's those points that makes this show quite lackluster.  It's a show that should be popular to a degree, but many people hold it in a much higher regard than should be. Finding depth that isn't there, or failing to realize the plot is made up as it's gone along. It lacks the intricacies that other shows of it's type (One Piece, or even Bleach for that matter) have. It's just not brilliant, really.

Sure, maybe I'm  biased. Maybe I've turned into some sort of elitist. I try not to think I am. My range of shows is quite varied, and I gave Naruto a very good chance. I can understand why some are into it, and it's cool, but I just don't think it's *amazing*. It's certainly not the worst show in the world, but it's not really *good* either.

LOLDONGS n Stuff
Kuro
Post by Bertmasta (151 posts) See mini bio Level 6
i think its popular because its accessible, i mean maybe if we were here, what 8 years ago 10 and DBZ was just coming out we would probably be saying similar things, truth is naruto is gonna get people into anime like DBZ did. i dont think its trying to be unique, its trying to be a decent show, and as for the Manga i really enjoy it, well i enjoy the anime as well, oh and i enjoy Dragonball so ye XD
Post by Slinger (399 posts) See mini bio Level 7
I actually got into Naruto very briefly. I can understand why people could be annoyed by him (the complaint that I've heard most often about the show) but I always kinda liked that trait, and thought it added to the quirkiness of his character. I more was driven away by Sasuke. It got to the point with me that I wondered why they even called the show Naruto. Anyway, I didn't stick with it too long because I missed an episode and couldn't really get back into it. That's probably one of my biggest problems with anime in general is that it often seems to me to be very sequential to the point that if I miss something it gets frustrating to pick it back up. (Also the reason why I don't watch Heroes, or Lost, or 24, or anything like that, but I digress.) Sounds to me like you just out grew it.
bertmasta: That will be a benefit of Naruto, it's the DBZ of this generation. It'll get many people into anime, which is exciting!

Slinger: I started watching Naruto when the boxsets came out here, having already read much of the manga. I'm quite certain its not something I grew out of. I still do read the Manga, and somewhat enjoy it.
Post by Niko (865 posts) See mini bio Level 8
I was actually into Naruto for a while. Not to the fannish extent of many fans, but I enjoyed the manga. It just got too much of a pain to follow.

As for the story, yes, the main character is annoying, but as you said, it's extremely marketable. They know their audience, and it works. Basic action story with plenty of merchandising opportunities. It gets annoying, but it's what happens.
Post by Baku_Sensei (464 posts) See mini bio Level 10
I was alright with it until my buddy Eric showed up at UPS one night wearing a Kakashi cosplay. In the middle of May.
Post by ChrisTobin (17 posts) See mini bio Level 8
I 100% agree with the opening statement. There's nothing wrong with naruto, it's just not that amazing.
Post by OkazukiIchigo (350 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Yet I don't have a opinion on Naruto but if you are one of the early birds like me who watched Naruto when it was released 5-6 years ago, through the painful fillers and into Shippuuden towards now, it feels just decent like fast food but not even close to being better. Somehow the recent episode of Shipuuden redeemed abit
Post by Resonate (625 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Ive gotta say that a hardcore 80% of your points I disagree with man. While the subject of whether it entertains you or not is purely objective and subject to change for everyone, I can say that, while it is more popular than I think it should be, it's more in depth than you've set it up to be. And, about Naruto...he's possibly the least interesting main character at all. Possible Spoiler warning for remainder of post, guys

I think that Neji, a character who hardly gets any screen time anymore, is a lot more interesting of a character than Naruto. Naruto is an orphan thats been beaten down his whole life, but got some motivation and wants to be great. The character concept isn't really original at all, ther're more "Hai guiz I wanna be the best" main characters in main stream anime/manga that you can swing a stick at (Yoh - Shaman King, Luffy- King of the Pirates)

Then you have a simple side character, Neji, who actually has a belief system and lives life trailing down said belief, thinking that fate rules life. It's cool, and not enough characters are like him. He's a good character, morally conflicted because of his birth lineage, and obviously saying that fate had to cause it because he had no control over it, thus showing that he doesnt want to seem weak. He has flaws. But at the same time, he does things right. Naruto is like this...only with a lot more flaws prior to maturation

Gaara, Naruto's mirror self is probably Naruto's most original character to offer, with a cool and unique fighting style and crazy motifs to boot. All for the same reasons as Naruto, just without the help. An example of the main character gone wrong. How many times have main stream series created a character like this and actually done a half-way good job? Im going to critique your every answer to that, there aren't enough like him.

And then, There's Naruto's initial rival : Sasuke. Sasuke, as of late, has gotten pretty aggravating, was originally a pretty cool character. He had everything, and knew what it was like to be "normal", and had it taken away from him, mentally scarring him for life, and changing him into a quiet character with a bit of an ego that he really doesnt deserve. While in Shippuden he's proven to be somewhat of a douche to his companions, in part I, he was really fun to watch. Someone that was never going to get too far ahead or to far behind the main character, and while not amazingly original, cool enough.

Then of course there's Itachi, the most badass character in the series that I dont even need to explain. He was a very deep character, anyone disagreeing with that just hasn't read far enough yet.

Naruto isn't so much a form of "mindless entertainment" to any of it's fans at all. Some of the twists are predictable, but you're being contradictory if you're saying they come from nowhere. How do they come from nowhere if you know what's going to happen?

Im not really going to break down the OP,all in all, it's just a form of opinion. The way I look at Naruto is a series that is more than the modern day DBZ, it's a strong series that's gained a huge fan base for whatever reason that can hold it's own in the industry in pretty much any aspect, and while not the most original in everything it touches, at least it presents everything well, and keeps its fans coming back.

Post by nevergiveup (199 posts) See mini bio Level 6
I like Naruto and DBZ.
Resonate: You make a couple fair points, but there's alot of what you said that I could also break down. I'll post again later doing so, i don't have the time at the second, but in a few hours I shall. Alot of what you're saying is opinion though, and so is some of what I'm saying. That's what blogs are for, opinion. What i mean by "being out of nowhere, yet predictable" is that alot of the twists have absolutely nothing leading up to them. The Itachi one for instance, bull, *yet* it's still somewhat predictable the author would make a move like that.
Post by OkazukiIchigo (350 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Resonate: Yeah he is a orphan but with the Nine-Tails conceal inside. I agree abit but unlike Gaara, Naruto never gotten anyone to take care of. Gaara on the other hand, was acquainted with someone when he was a kid but soon betrayed him. While Naruto lives with himself, his arrogance may be annoying(wanting to be a hokage), as you see from the anime. Gaara's emotions, back before Naruto taught him, friendship and the will of fire, was emotionless(unless he bleeds), didn't care less about teamwork and like Kakashi said, teamwork is important for a successful mission. Just see what the Akatashi did to Gaara in Shippuuden, you can't possbily beat an S-Rank/Missing Nin Akatashi head on. Yeah Gaara is alive but with a sacrifice and the consumption of his powers towards the Atakashi(yeah i don't read the manga so I don't know what all those powers, the Akatashi attainted later on).

Back in the Chunnin Exams, Neji talks about what you just said but then Naruto tries to reason with him and beats him.

Companions? When did Sasuke get any companions in Shippuuden, he prefers training by himself and Orochimaru just waiting until he gets Sasuke's powers.

I understand why everyone hates Naruto but in my experience, Naruto is only really annoying in the earlier episodes, and repeating, shadow clone jutsu, all the time. Now he somehow redeemed abit, as he improved his rasengan with the elements of wind and the other element which Idr.

And also, people have a hatred towards other people who like Naruto and distain them to be "not" otaku.

I only watched the anime but not the manga. So this might be a contradictory.

I prefer Shikamaru, as you seen from Shippuuden, he is kinda like L. He always plans ahead for stragedies against the Akatashi.
Post by Neku (198 posts) See mini bio Level 5
I think that Naruto is the Twillight of Anime.

Or, Twillight is the Naruto of books.
That's not really a good thing.
Post by Neku (198 posts) See mini bio Level 5
I think that Naruto is the Twillight of Anime.

Post by Damnation_Lee (223 posts) See mini bio Level 5
Too many of the characters annoy the s**t out of me. Plus when fangirls won't shut up about Sasuke it kinda kills the series for ya. As for me I'll stick with Deathnote, Bleach, and Gundam. Hail Zeon.
Post by AlexanderAnderson (23 posts) See mini bio Level 2
Neku said:
"I think that Naruto is the Twillight of Anime.

"
Har.  Nicely put.
Post by Resonate (625 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Kuro said:
"Resonate: You make a couple fair points, but there's alot of what you said that I could also break down. I'll post again later doing so, i don't have the time at the second, but in a few hours I shall. Alot of what you're saying is opinion though, and so is some of what I'm saying. That's what blogs are for, opinion. What i mean by "being out of nowhere, yet predictable" is that alot of the twists have absolutely nothing leading up to them. The Itachi one for instance, bull, *yet* it's still somewhat predictable the author would make a move like that."
I understand, and I stated that what I was saying was simply a difference in opinion. There is no factual arguing with opinions, it's just fun :D
Post by HeeroYuy (1,210 posts) See mini bio Level 12
I first started watching the show back in 2003 when it was airing around episode 50 or 60 or so. I thought it was really good for 30 episodes, ok for about another 50, and then I started to care less and less as it drug on. I didn't even catch up on the non-filler episodes (through 142 I think) until they were on episode 160 something, and at that point I was only watching to give it the benefit of the doubt since a friend of mine reading the manga told me it was supposed to get really good again. I dropped it for a long time, tried the first 3 episodes of shippuden when they came out, but I have never cared to touch it ever since. In retrospect I'd say it's a very average 2 to 3 out of 5 shounen show...

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel