Is Naruto Coming to a Grand Finale?

Topic started by Guest_Author on Aug. 9, 2011. Last post by wolvz0 2 years, 10 months ago.
Post by Guest_Author (0 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Staff

Every story has a beginning, and they also come to an end. Even more so in manga. Sometimes they are quick four volume series, and other times they can go on for 50+ volumes. Fullmetal Alchemist has already ended in Japan. As I'm reading these events that have been happening in the Fourth Great Shinobi War Arc of the current Naruto manga series. I can't help but feel that Masashi Kishimoto is trying to wind down to a finale. This army the Shinobi Alliance is facing is made up of all the greatest ninjas who ever lived. After you end a war of this level, how could you possibly top that? In this war, the cast of Naruto is quite literally facing off with the ghosts of their past. In doing so, many are getting grand closure to much of their issues.

Naruto now knows his parents loved him
Naruto now knows his parents loved him

You can always tell when these stories still have more in them because the world has mysteries. Unanswered questions the readers may have. We have already learned the truth about the night Narutolost both his parents, the reason the Uchiha were massacred, and that Madara Uchiha had a hand in both events. Even answers to questions we didn't even know we had are coming up. Such as withGaara's mother, and the true fate of Shisui Uchiha. Naruto has merged his own body with the power of the Nine Tailed Demon Fox, the most powerful of the Tailed Beasts. He's also gone on to unite all the waring factions of the Shinobi World behind him. He's reached nearly every goal of his life, and it's hard to imagine how Naruto could be more overpowered in this state. Naturally, there is still the final battle between Naruto and Sasuke, but what could happen after that?

Madara has revived all the dead Jinchuriki
Madara has revived all the dead Jinchuriki

The only real x factor I can see right now is with Kabuto and those secret bodies he showed Madara that had him so worried. He's merged his body with the remains ofOrochimaru, but I just can't see him turning into a bigger threat over Madara. I'm not saying the series will be ending in the next year or two. I just can't help feel as if it's certainly on the near horizon.

There are other series that felt as if they had come to an end but kept going. Dragon Ball would be the best example. That could of ended after Volume 16, but that's when Toriyama introduced us to theSaiyans. That's when the comedy-adventure series became a true shonen fighter and went on for many more years. BLEACH really felt as if it could've ended after Ichigo's victory over Aizen, but they stripped away all of Ichigo's uber-powers and it's only now having it's mandatory Shonen Jump time skip. Along the way, Kubo is explaining the source of Chad'spowers at last. After Naruto defeats Sasuke and becomes Hokage. I can't really see Kishimoto taking this series into space. They don't even have cars in this world. Would this series be as interesting reading about Naruto as Hokage, and the world brought into a peaceful balance? What are your thoughts on the direction the series is heading?

-Kristoffer Remmell (FoxxFireArt) is a freelance graphic artist, writer, and over all mystery geek.- Follow for news updates: @ animevice / @ FoxxFireArt

Post by buhssuht (223 posts) See mini bio Level 19

who knows? i remember Kubo saying something like he'll make sure that the bleach will continue for 5 years more. Kishimoto hasn't saying anything but he might get greedy and make some more BS

Post by Lurkero (405 posts) See mini bio Level 7
There are plenty more stories to tell in the Naruto universe. I feel like most manga or anime series create worlds so vast that even after the conclusion of one series, another could arise.

Look at how Avatar: The Last Airbender is continuing. Hey, 70 years later, something new is happening in this world we spent 3 seasons developing.
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,230 posts) See mini bio Level 21

They'll never stop Naruto, Have no fears, we've got stories for years,

Like, Tsunade becomes a robot, maybe Kakashi gets a cell phone,

Has Naruto ever owned a bear or, How 'bout a crazy wedding?

Where something happens, and doo doo doo doo, doo

Sorry for the flash back, have no fears, we've got stories for years. :)

Post by Wales (133 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Maybe it can work similar to how Fable III worked. In that if the climax is building to Naruto assuming the role of Hokage for Konoha, then chapters after that may show him struggling with the new position of power. Not to mention there could be the one final threat that will try to strike since Naruto starts out as a bit of a shaky leader.  

Then again, most stories end when the main character becomes king/leader/some authoritative position of power. Its either that or he dies in the end, sacrificing himself for his country like his parents before him. (Note: If this does happen, I want someone to recognize that I called it)
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,640 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@Lurkero: @Wales:

What separates the two series is that they weren't named after the main characters. This series is called "Naruto", because it follows him and his dreams. The idea of following another character some decades later also named Naruto sounds silly. Also, that would mean that for some reason the peace Naruto creates must have fallen apart for some reason. Making all the Naruto's hard work seem for nothing.

@Destinyheroknight:

I'm pretty sure people thought the same about Fullmetal Alchemist and Dragon Ball. The difference between manga and comics is that these stories are designed to end at some point.

After a war of this scale. The revived dead of all the greatest ninja in history. Anything else would be pale by comparison.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,230 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@FoxxFireArt:

I don't know anyone who said FMA wasn't going to end, it from a monthly magazine. Akira-sama wanted to end Dragon Ball at Namek arc but his editors and his fans wanted him to continue, so he did so.

The difference between manga and comics is that these stories are designed to end at some point.

Tell that to JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Detective Conan

Post by InfiniteGeass (527 posts) See mini bio Level 12
I hope it this is leading to the end and doesn't get ridiculously long. The longer a series goes on the harder it is to get into it and eventually the people who do care about it will stop reading because they just don't care anymore. I'd be happy if Naruot ended in the next year or so and think it can be done really well using this war that has been going on. I've been enjoying the hell out of it so far, that's for sure.
Post by AgentJ (1,545 posts) See mini bio Level 13

My opinion of Naruto post-skip is well documented (it's drivel)  but Naruto has had a huge impact on the manga and anime scene, both in Japan and America. It needs and deserves a great ending, and post-war wouldn't be an awful place to do it. After all, there doesn't seem to be anywhere bigger to go after a Ninja world war.  

That said, one of my trifles with Naruto was that I felt like Naruto got too wrapped up in its own current (Kishimoto had to go in odd directions to make sure everything stayed canon and kept fans happy). It got too BIG for him. I feel like a new arc could let him go back to what made the first series great, a little more personal. where his characters have room to shine. And if he goes this route, I'd be more than okay with it; I'd probably start paying attention to it again.  

Besides, we all know Jump is struggling. They can't afford to let one of their big three end, not right now. I'm not saying it won't happen. Just saying that the execs at Shonen Jump won't be thrilled with the idea of Kishimoto putting down his pen.  

@Destinyheroknight
: Damn it, I NEED A +1 BUTTON!
Post by Jeust (44 posts) See mini bio Level 8
@AgentJ said:

My opinion of Naruto post-skip is well documented (it's drivel)  but Naruto has had a huge impact on the manga and anime scene, both in Japan and America. It needs and deserves a great ending, and post-war wouldn't be an awful place to do it. After all, there doesn't seem to be anywhere bigger to go after a Ninja world war.  

That said, one of my trifles with Naruto was that I felt like Naruto got too wrapped up in its own current (Kishimoto had to go in odd directions to make sure everything stayed canon and kept fans happy). It got too BIG for him. I feel like a new arc could let him go back to what made the first series great, a little more personal. where his characters have room to shine. And if he goes this route, I'd be more than okay with it; I'd probably start paying attention to it again.  

Besides, we all know Jump is struggling. They can't afford to let one of their big three end, not right now. I'm not saying it won't happen. Just saying that the execs at Shonen Jump won't be thrilled with the idea of Kishimoto putting down his pen.  

@Destinyheroknight
Naruto isn't Hokage yet... That's a checkpoint that is still far, or at least at enough distance for some big shot bad guy to appear and kill Tsunade, or for her to relegate the position of Hokage to Naruto.  

And like Wales said, Naruto could develop into following the character Naruto as Hokage.  

So I'm not seeing it ending anytime soon.
Post by AgentJ (1,545 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@Jeust said:
@AgentJ said:

@Destinyheroknight
Naruto isn't Hokage yet... That's a checkpoint that is still far, or at least at enough distance for some big shot bad guy to kill Tsunade, or for her to relegate the position of Hokage to Naruto.   And like Wales said, Naruto could develop into following the character Naruto as Hokage.   So I'm not seeing it ending anytime soon.
Both points are true, but at the point that I last read (just before the war) Naruto seemed to be clearly the most powerful ninja in the village. His coronation seems to be only a matter of time. And they can't really ratchet up the stakes, since a world war is about as bad as it gets. If Kishimoto and his editors are confident in their ability to keep Naruto relevant despite those factors, than I fully endorse a continuation of Naruto. 
Post by misterz173 (5 posts) See mini bio Level 13
What will happen between Naruto and Hinata?
Post by kashif1 (1,813 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@misterz173 said:
What will happen between Naruto and Hinata?
that will never be resolved
Post by Username_Undefined (89 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Three possible conditions for indefinite continuation: aliens, time travel, inter-dimensional crisis
Post by Jeust (44 posts) See mini bio Level 8
@AgentJ said:

@Jeust said:

@AgentJ said:

@Destinyheroknight
Naruto isn't Hokage yet... That's a checkpoint that is still far, or at least at enough distance for some big shot bad guy to kill Tsunade, or for her to relegate the position of Hokage to Naruto.   And like Wales said, Naruto could develop into following the character Naruto as Hokage.   So I'm not seeing it ending anytime soon.
Both points are true, but at the point that I last read (just before the war) Naruto seemed to be clearly the most powerful ninja in the village. His coronation seems to be only a matter of time. And they can't really ratchet up the stakes, since a world war is about as bad as it gets. If Kishimoto and his editors are confident in their ability to keep Naruto relevant despite those factors, than I fully endorse a continuation of Naruto. 
Yeah, but the most powerful being isn't always the Hokage. It really seems a matter of time till he is Hokage, still you have to remember he is still a genin.  

I believe if they change from the open conflict of a world war, into a more personal context, maybe the effects of the post-war, Naruto and Hinata, Sasuke, Sasuke and Sakura, even as Naruto as Hokage faces dangers that could destroy the village, things are viable.
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11

@Emeryl said:

Three possible conditions for indefinite continuation: aliens, time travel, inter-dimensional crisis

Or a giant orgy between all the characters where they solve all their differences.

Post by FoxxFireArt (2,640 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@Black_Rose:

In twelve hours, there will already be a doujinshi of that now that you said it. And as long as Samui is involved, I will want to read that.

Post by Dizzyhippos (4 posts) See mini bio Level 4
The best story's are the ones that work towards a clear end, not the ones that keep stringing shit along for years
Post by Eyz (38 posts) See mini bio Level 8
then...they'll bring it back with a number in the title, like say, "Naruto 2" with ol' man Naruto in the lead :P
Post by secretzfan (238 posts) See mini bio Level 18
They will likey continue it after all look at the cash it brings in, but that would be bad if they continue after Naruto becomes hokage unless Naruto dies. Seriulsi Bleach still had plot holes but Naruto.... were can it go with Naruto as Hokage the story value would be lowered.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel