ROCK LEE & HIS NINJA PALS #3 - - Special Review

Topic started by No_name_here on May 2, 2012. Last post by zaldar 2 years, 2 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (854 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

Way, way back when I first started writing for this site, I did an opinion piece commenting on how the aspirational body types of anime/manga are markedly different than those in Western media. Put simply, superheroes in America are almost uniformly big, beefy, manly dudes, while the superheroes of Japan are more often skinny guys (who, let’s be honest, can easily veer to the feminine side.) There’s nothing wrong with that, of course, but it’s worth noting that Kenshiro of FIST OF THE NORTH STAR is the exception to the rule in his own neighborhood, and he’d be the opposite across the pond.

I briefly reach back down into that rabbit hole of discussion today because this episode - - for whatever reason - - seems to have its mind on gender roles in one form of another. The second story is obviously a lighthearted, but still rather satirical, send-up of chivalry’s place in the modern world (or its anachronistic mirror, at least.) Even in what’s supposed to be a breezy goof fest, the show does make the fairly sharp observation that Tenten wants to have her cake and eat it too with respect to how she’s treated by the boys.

As hard as it is to believe, there does some seem to be some similarly-surprising commentary in the first half. See, a lot of the time, when you get a sub over a more natural-phrased dub, there are sections of dialog that raise certain unexpected connotations through the choice of words. In this case, Rock Lee spelling out his struggle as an attempt to “show that hard work can thwart a genius” instead of just saying he wants to show up the show-off. It, actually open a whole can of worms relating to nature, nurture and the innate qualities of talent.

Bringing it back to my spiel at the start of this, I can’t help but read a little into the gag about Lee’s body building and seeing a notion that’s even more absurd than it’d be over here. Almost like any degree of bulking up would be seen as being that excessive.

Am I on to something here?

Watch this episode, "A Competition With the Genius Ninja, Neji/Tenten's Must-Win Battle " here and decide for yourself, then read my comments on the previous episode here.

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of HYBRID BASTARDS! & UNIMAGINABLE. Order them on Amazon here & here. Follow him on Twitter: @tompinchuk

Post by FoxxFireArt (2,638 posts) See mini bio Level 25

Well, let's face it. Women can be fickle, and that's obvious in Tenten. She want's the boys to both acknowledge her strength, but also doesn't want them to be treating her like just one of the guys either. Not that I really blame her either. Tenten doesn't get nearly enough attention in the regular series. Her getting more screen time in this series is great.

Not all slender anime men look effeminate. Roronoa Zoro is a great example of that. If there is anything that bores me about comic design is that all the men basically look the same. The whole beefed out look is kind of silly. Even some artists give Spider-man too much muscle.

Post by zaldar (1,221 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Hmm...can anyone link me to his earlier article by tom search didn't come up with it. Sounds like it would be an interesting read. See, the comparison you made here is one reason I prefer subs. All the discussion that the sub brings up is GOOD and what raises anime above western media...and is present unless I miss my guess in the original and very intentional.

Post by FoxxFireArt (2,638 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@zaldar:

You don't need links. Just check the NEWS section at the top of the page. All his reviews on this series can be found there. He's done one a week so they aren't buried that deep.

You can also just go to the NARUTO Spin-Off: Rock Lee & His Ninja Pals page and check the top news section.

Post by takashichea (10,597 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now
So adorable
So adorable

I love the first story more the second story. Tenten's story just turns me off when she asks her teammates treat her like a girl.

@Tom_Pinchuk:

How come you don't use my images?

Post by zaldar (1,221 posts) See mini bio Level 15

@FoxxFireArt said:

@zaldar:

You don't need links. Just check the NEWS section at the top of the page. All his reviews on this series can be found there. He's done one a week so they aren't buried that deep.

You can also just go to the NARUTO Spin-Off: Rock Lee & His Ninja Pals page and check the top news section.

I think you misunderstood what I was asking for. I was looking for the article he was referring to here.

"Way, way back when I first started writing for this site, I did an opinion piece commenting on how the aspirational body types of anime/manga are markedly different than those in Western media." I've read most of Tom's stuff (he is one of my favorite contributes here) but I don't remember this.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel