My Journey in to Mysterious Girlfriend X: ep 4

Topic started by metalsnakezero on April 29, 2012. Last post by AURON570 2 years, 2 months ago.
Post by metalsnakezero (668 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Thats right guys, there is yuri here
Thats right guys, there is yuri here

The Oka X Urabe episode is here and so is many male fans wet dream, including Tsubaki and Ueno apparently.

Now for the more serious matter. The meeting between Oka and Urabe is a strange one, mostly on Oka part than Urabe (Imagine that :D). Oka was hellbent on having lunch with Urabe and when Oka offered food to Urabe, as Urabe replies by eating it to everyone's surprise. We see Oka always watching Urabe and immediately offering her help when she got injured. And, as it turns out, she shares a drool bond with her that is similar to what Urabe has with Tsubaki. So what is Oka’s deal? She clearly interested in Urabe but how far does that interest goes? Is Oka a lesbian? Well not really..

You see, Oka isn’t interested solo on Urabe but on the relationship Urabe has with Tsubaki. We know that Oka has a relationship going on with Ueno, which is a normal relationship. However, after seeing the routine that the other two goes through, she is curious about Urabe standing in the relationship. She even goes as far as doing her own droll test with Urabe, which results in a sweeter taste than Urabe had with Tsubaki, stating that Oka is a step ahead in her own relationship with Ueno. Due to the drool connection, Oka and Urabe have a bond between each other that can be taken as close friends, even if Urabe was nevering planning on making friends. However, it also could be taken as a homosexual relationship between each, mostly on Oka’s part. However, Oka never goes any further than just drool exchanges and teasing with Urabe and views her as a buddy that needs a little help in her relationship. We see soon that, like Urabe, is very loyal and caring about their boyfriends and wouldn’t do any harm to their relationship.

In a way, Urabe needed a friend. Friends are there when you need some advice from someone with a different perspective. Tsubaki asked his friend, Ueno, when he was wondering what to do with a girlfriend. Urabe, while having some good ideas with bonding and exchanges of feelings, doesn’t have anything else to build upon that alone without some help. Someone that can listen to her problems that isn’t just her boyfriend.

Oka is voiced by Hirohashi Ryou who have done similar type character with that tiny yet deep voice of hers. The way she plays Oka is similar to Aoi Yamada from Working, where she talk with a slightly quiet voice gives off a lot of energy. It is very fitting with how Oka is. Amazing how much has changed with her since Kyou Fujibayashi.

While this episode wasn’t an relationship building between Tsubaki and Urabe, it was more on what else Urabe needed in her life. It was simply a friend that she could use for advice.

Highlights

Don't have any good jokes, so here are some pics of delicious anime food.

Post by AURON570 (555 posts) See mini bio Level 15

As I was watching this episode I began to really wonder how many young Japanese girls actually make their own bento. I mean come on! They can't be that good...*grumble* (frustrated because I had to eat very plain sandwiches for lunch for most of my primary school life) *googles bento... drools* Why does bento look so tasty?

Anyways, so now the drool bond extends to someone other than Tsubaki. This is an interesting development, but I'm afraid that this is going into magical girl/fantasy territory. =\

Oka seemed sort of invasive, but I think that's the impression I'm supposed to have. Oka's voice actress is always so controlled and poised. One scene that I found striking was when Oka is talking to Urabe, and Oka is looking up at Urabe's face who is about a foot away from her own face.

Even though Oka is the shorter one, she is technically the more 'mature' one, who has more experience and know-how. It's almost like Oka is taking Urabe under her wing. When Oka said "I guess you haven't kissed Tsubaki-kun yet." I almost felt like Oka was talking down to Urabe.

This leaves Urabe in a weird position. She is now vulnerable to any advice (about boys or health or otherwise) that Oka gives her. But on the other hand she's on the way to making a 'friend', despite saying she doesn't need one. Perhaps this is a play on the saying, "All you need is someone to love." It also brings up the issue of spending time with friends versus spending time with lovers, and how friends differ from lovers.

In this case it seems Urabe is content with only having one lover, and seems okay with getting closer to Oka, but not being friends with her. The problem is, Urabe shares almost the same drool bond with both Oka and Tsubaki. (we don't know if the dream thing works with Oka) So what's the difference?! Maybe at some later point Urabe will have to choose between spending time with Oka or Tsubaki, or siding with one or the other on an issue. That could be interesting.

Final thought: At the end of the episode, it is almost like Oka is bargaining with Urabe, "Hey, you hungry? I make bento. You spend time with me or no bento for you, understand?" >.>

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel