Girly GUNDAM Gals

Topic started by No_name_here on March 30, 2010. Last post by cfatalis 4 years, 5 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (855 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

So cute, and yet so deadly.
 So cute, and yet so deadly.

Educate me, alright? I always understood that shojo is manga intended for girls, while shonen is manga intended for boys. Following that distinction, I always understood that mecha only ever falls under the realm of shonen. Only guys enjoy mecha, and mecha’s only ever made for guys, unless it’s a series that consciously fuses shonen and shojo like my treasured ESCAFLOWNE (an anime that most definitely does not suck). So keeping that in mind, you’ll understand why I was so befuddled when Gia’s brought the image to the right to my attention.

MOBILE SUIT GIRL AKITAKA MIKA MS SHOJO ART WORKS is a coffee table coming out in celebration of MS Shojo, a girl’s mecha manga. Up until today, I believed such a thing didn’t exist, but my expectations exist to be confounded everyday, for little did I know that this series has been running since ’82.   My mind is still reeling, trying to reconcile how these cute SAILOR MOON-esque outfit and adorable calivera costumes have been fused with the hard cold steel of Mobile Suits. So, like I said, educate me. How many girls here seriously dig mecha? Or there more shojo mecha such as this of which I’ve been woefully unaware? EDUCATE ME!

And then take a gander at these totally rad excerpts from the book, courtesy of Kotaku. 

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this April - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

Post by Superevil225 (6,742 posts) See mini bio Level 17
Okay, that looks awesome!
Post by Oishi_47 (221 posts) See mini bio Level 8
There is Ecole Du Ciel from the Gundam universe which was more focused on the character development of the female protagonist than on the fighting. Of course, one could argue that Seed was about some female protagonists "trapped" in male bodies. 
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,640 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Those are kind of cute. I'm waiting for the day they make an anime of these. Have you ever seen the images of girl versions of video game systems.
Post by Tempestangel (123 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Lets not forgot about the Strike Freedom!... kinda a turnon...
Post by Oishi_47 (221 posts) See mini bio Level 8
@FoxxFireArt said:
" Those are kind of cute. I'm waiting for the day they make an anime of these. Have you ever seen the images of girl versions of video game systems. "  
Post by JELEINEN (49 posts) See mini bio Level 1

Afraid to break it to you, but those were intended for a male audience.
Post by cfatalis (19,150 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@oishi_47 said:
" There is Ecole Du Ciel from the Gundam universe which was more focused on the character development of the female protagonist than on the fighting. Of course, one could argue that Seed was about some female protagonists "trapped" in male bodies.  "
tiiiiis
Post by HeeroYuy (1,210 posts) See mini bio Level 12
@oishi_47: That is the best description of Seed I have heard yet! XD

Ecole Du Ciel definitely is more shoujo leaning, though there's still plenty of everything Gundam in it for guys like me to be able to enjoy it.

Seriously though, I've never understood the appeal of this Mecha Musume stuff...
Post by haseo_yashimora (5,507 posts) See mini bio Level 14

here's my colection XD 

Post by No_name_here (855 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
@JELEINEN: No way!
Post by cfatalis (19,150 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@HeeroYuy: well to be fair mecha musume is not for everyone

then again i have seen the reverse mecha musume, creepy just creepy
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel