The History of Mecha Anime Openings

Topic started by GodLen on March 6, 2010. Last post by Milkman Dan 3 years, 7 months ago.
Post by GodLen (877 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Staff

The opening animation in any anime is an important factor to the entire show, whether you skip it or not. I love anime openings of every kind, they are mini-trailers and little stories onto themselves. Good ones put you in the right mood to enjoy the upcoming episode, while bad ones tend to make you press the fast forward button more often. I love them all, but what I love the most are the openings to mecha/ super robots anime. I prayed to God that one day someone would just collect all these openings together and release it as one giant video. My prayers were answered and someone did just that, and now I’m here to share this slice of history with all of you.

Robot Anime Japanese Opening Collection 1963-1984
Robot Anime Japanese Opening Collection 1985-1992
Robot Anime Japanese Opening Collection 1993-1998
Robot Anime Japanese Opening Collection 1999-2003
Robot Anime Japanese Opening Collection 2003-2007

Each video is roughly around two hours each, totally up to ten hours worth of pure mecha history! It contains practically every single mecha opening in existence, and music videos for films which don’t have an opening; how thoughtful! Each era has it’s own unique feeling to it. Most of the early years opening songs were sung by little children, the eighties openings had that trademark eighties music in them, early nineties featured main characters who were mostly children, while the late nineties started to become darker, and then suddenly we are in the modern day opening era inundated with popular music and fanservice.

Now that we have history at our fingertips, what is the best way to watch all of this? Well, if there was a museum I would throw it in there, but since we don’t have a museum I say just throw a Super Robot party and have this on the TV. So do yourself a favor and take some time to study mecha history; because it will be on the test.
Post by crusader8463 (739 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Neat. I would never take the time to download or watch something like that, but it makes me happy to know something like that exists.
Post by HeeroYuy (1,210 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Holy cow dude.... that's a lot of mech openings.
Post by TigerUppercut (23 posts) See mini bio Level 1
and downloading...
Post by metalsnakezero (668 posts) See mini bio Level 16
O_o wow, took me a while to watch all of them (Over 8 hours).
So many different styles.
Post by spongbros (5 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Whoever compiled these videos didn't do their research. Some of the openings are AMVs/MADs with different music. Y'know, the sort that you'd get on a YouTube search for the series' opening. (I sensed that something was odd when I heard the Soul Eater OP in the middle of the second video.) And I'm pretty sure that Macross Plus didn't have Highway to the Dangerzone on the soundtrack. Additionally, there are some questionable omissions, such as 8-Man and Star Blazers (which, admittedly, may or may not count as mecha). They're good compilations, but know that they are neither fully complete nor fully correct.
Staff
@spongbros: as mentioned above, since films do not have an opening per se the person who made this just placed an amv or mad in place of it. I've seen versions of this that didn't have the anime films in it, but I think they add something new to the experience.
Post by cfatalis (19,150 posts) See mini bio Level 15
wow that is all old robots up there , but...... where's mazinger?
Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@cfatalis: He`s the 4th in part one 1.

Staff
@cfatalis: he must of been sick that day. His girlfriend is there though
@Kelleth said:
" @cfatalis: He`s the 4th in part one 1. "
the picture i mean

@GodLen said:
" @cfatalis: he must of been sick that day. His girlfriend is there though "

kouji kabuto? sick? madness
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
You almost, almost got me to click, and then I read that they were around 2 hours each...

I'll bookmark this and start streaming it on dual monitors some lazy weekend, but whoa. Also, is that picture scale. I like how small wing zero looks compared to like... everything.
Post by wagshaft (1 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Fantastic stuff. So much to mine from a truly entertaining and interesting piece of pop culture. Thanks for posting these links. As a graphic designer this is the kind of library material that I find perfect for research and inspiration. Cheers!
@John_Martone said:
" You almost, almost got me to click, and then I read that they were around 2 hours each...  I'll bookmark this and start streaming it on dual monitors some lazy weekend, but whoa. Also, is that picture scale. I like how small wing zero looks compared to like... everything. "
scaled based on official data
Post by Milkman Dan (1 posts) See mini bio Level 2
Thanks a lot for compiling this, I think I've seen something similar on Youtube, but those tend to get deleted for copyright violations.  There's only one thing missing, that's a list of all the anime series and movies' titles in each file. 
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel