Global Shinkai Day - March 15 - March 17

Topic started by Acura_Max on March 14, 2013. Last post by takashichea 12 months ago.
Post by Acura_Max (2,322 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Every year when the cherry blossoms bloom, the internet holds an online film festive where everyone watches a film(s) by Makoto Shinkai. This year, Crunchyroll will once again stream all of the Shinkai films excluding the one that's about to be released. This event will start on Friday, March 15 and will end on Sunday, March 17. The films that will be streaming are: 5 Centimeters Per Second, Voices of a Distant Star, The Place Promised in Our Early Days, and the Children Who Chase Lost Voices. All of the following summaries are provided by Crunchyroll. You can access all the movies tomorrow using this link.

Voices of a Distant Star

It is 2046 when a mysterious alien force begins their annihilation of the human race. Leaving behind the one person she loves, Mikako joins the interstellar battle as a pilot. As Mikako flies further into space, her only connection with Noboru are text messages sent from her mobile phone. And so - while Mikako risks her life to save mankind - Noboru waits. At first days, then months, then years for each new message that will let him know whether Mikako is still alive. And, while she barely grows older in the timelessness of space, Noboru ages. The two lovers, worlds apart, desperately strive to remain connected as the gap between them widens at a frightening pace.

The Place Promised in Our Early Days

In school, they were best friends. And they shared two passions: the plane they built together, christened Bela Cielo, and a girl. Sayuri.
Oblivious to the tense internation environment, the three form an indelible bond and it seems nothing can ever come between them and their dream. The boys believe that someday they will reach the distant tower - and touch Sayuri's heart- however far away it may be.
But time passes. War esclates. Alliances are changed. Friends become enemies. And Sayuri falls into a dreamlike state that seems inexplicably linked to the mysterious tower of their youth. At the brink of a World War, Sayuri seems to be the key to a new world peace...or a frightening and bitter end to life as we know it.

5 Centimeters Per Second

Tohno Takaki and Shinohara Akari are two classmates in an elementary school. During their time together they have become close friends. Their relationship is tested when Akari transfers to another city because of her parents' jobs. Both of them struggle to keep their friendship alive as time and distance slowly pulls them apart. When Takaki finds out that he is moving farther away, he decides to visit Akari one last time.

Children Who Chase Voices

When she hears a strange song from a crystal radio, Asuna tunes into more than just a magical stream of music. Soon, she is transported to a mysterious world where mythical beasts roam and brave warriors fight for their lives. Agartha is a land of breathtaking beauty and unimaginable danger - a place where, it is believed, even the dead can be brought back to life. But at what cost?Every year when the cherry blossoms bloom, the internet holds an online film festive where everyone watches a film(s) by Makoto Shinkai. This year, Crunchyroll will once again stream all of the Shinkai films excluding the one that's about to be released. This event will start on Friday, March 15 and will end on Sunday, March 17. The films that will be streaming are: 5 Centimeters Per Second, Voices of a Distant Star, The Place Promised in Our Early Days, and the Children Who Chase Lost Voices. All of the following summaries are provided by Crunchyroll.
Post by takashichea (10,599 posts) See mini bio Level 25

I have heard of these series but never had a chance to watch them. You guys and gals should definitely take this chance and check out these movies.

Children Who Chase Voices is the movie I'm interested in.

Post by Acura_Max (2,322 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@takashichea: You should check out Voices of a Distant Star. I'm not sure if Crunchyroll is using this version or not, but there a version of that film where the Shinkai and his wife voice the two lovers. Anyway, the film is really short since it's only 25 minutes long. The way the story is told is pretty interesting. Even though the two characters live in a world is being threatened by aliens, the threat is more like background noise to the relationship between the two characters.

I'll watch that one as well. Oh cool, Crunchyroll has sub and dub for some of the movies.

You guys and gals with Crunchyroll accounts should watch these movies!

Post by Dream (7,089 posts) See mini bio Level 20

I've seen all four of his released movies. With exception to 5 Centimeters per Second, not too big of a fan of his work. While the visuals to his films are top-notch, he seems to keep hammering the same theme into his works with mixed results depending on the storyline in the form of "long distance relationships suck".

@Dream:

Oh, I just watched that movie, 5 Centimeters per Second, last semester. I agree with the top notch visuals. The message just grates me. I was talking with another person and saying that if folks just take risk, none of this would happen. Then, that person told me all those empty text messages and letters wouldn't fill the void.

I haven't seen the rest of the films. I was lucky that Crunchyroll still had it online and the others.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel