MAGI #2 - - Watch & Learn

Topic started by No_name_here on March 5, 2013. Last post by takashichea 1 year, 4 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (854 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

Now that I’ve wrapped up the last of the DBZ episodes that are available on Hulu, I figured it’d be good form to follow a contemporary shonen show - - one that some people already think could join the glorious “HST” now that NARUTO and BLEACH are tying off. I liked the first episode a lot, despite its usage of chibi, and I’ve been assured that the chibi factor decreases significantly as the series goes along, so here were are.

Once again, what I appreciate about this show is that it feels like it’s been devised by people who’ve actually read the SCHEHERAZADE for themselves and aren’t just basing their plot off the one time they watched ALADDIN or played THE PRINCE OF PERSIA. All of the bountiful creative liberties work because they’re built on a foundation of legitimate understanding with the source material.

That said, it is still a little weird to be seeing a blonde and boyish Alibaba and a girl named Morgiana fretting about her upbringing in the “dark continent,” but whatever.

All of the foundational stuff I just discussed would be irrelevant if the show weren’t actually fun to watch, of course, and I can safely say it is. This is a gorgeous show with the kind of creativity that makes you just step back and try to process what you’re seeing. I’m particularly thinking of the early battle between the Djinn and the gelatinous green ghouls.

We’re still at a very early point in this saga, and many pieces are still being arranged on the chess board (I’m sure we’ve only just gotten the thinnest hints of the deeper intrigue with slavery in this world, for one). Still, the show’s managed to craft some legitimate tension, as I really did question whether they scorched one of their main characters to ashes by episode #2.

Hey, it’s anime right? Anything goes.

Watch this episode, "Dungeon Suite" here and decide for yourself, then read my comments on the previous episode here.

Tom Pinchuk’s a writer and personality with a large number of comics, videos and features like this to his credit. Visit his website - - tompinchuk.com - - and follow his Twitter: @tompinchuk

Post by rubberluffy (567 posts) See mini bio Level 16

I've only watched the first 2 episodes (kinda boring?) but I've recently seen a ton of complaints for how this anime has gone, both production value wise and as an adaptation of the source material.

You should continue Hunter x Hunter.

Post by Marshal Victory (1,836 posts) See mini bio Level 13

This could be a good filer watch an learn for ya. its good enuff over all but not as good as you think it should be over all. An thats its problem in a nut shell. But it can be a rather non pc real bloody good time if you let it be an not read to far ahead.

Post by Kuro_San (1,338 posts) See mini bio Level 11

The Manga is one of the best new manga I have read, I really like Magi and its differences with regular shonen, as some of the concepts that brings forth are pretty dreadful and complex, such as slavery, political strategy and warfare. Magi may hide behind a mask of Arabic Shonenesque Fantasy but sometimes is quite adult and everytime enjoyable...

Post by Acura_Max (2,322 posts) See mini bio Level 13

I finally decided to continue watching this anime and

Post by Sonata (35,091 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Been meaning to watch this, probably will this weekend:)
Post by takashichea (10,599 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@Kuro_San said:

The Manga is one of the best new manga I have read, I really like Magi and its differences with regular shonen, as some of the concepts that brings forth are pretty dreadful and complex, such as slavery, political strategy and warfare. Magi may hide behind a mask of Arabic Shonenesque Fantasy but sometimes is quite adult and everytime enjoyable...

This is what I enjoyed about the series, too. Comes off as wacky, rpg-like and a bit shonen cliche, the story and characters mature a bit.

@Acura_Max:

Awesome, glad you jump on the Magi board.

@Sonata:

You'll enjoy the series. The series does not hold back on violence or fan service. You'll see some "bouncing" and Aladdin's naughty moments later on.

For the episode:

There will be chibi moments later on in the series. You'll meet someone who actually called Aladdin a chibi later in the series. Right now, it's slow at first, but the series will speed up. This is the unfortunate part when the story clears the first dungeon.

You guys and gals are welcome to join in the Anime Vice's Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic Anime Discussion.

@rubberluffy:

It's a slow at first, but it'll be better as you keep watching. My main gripe is the pacing. It goes too fast later on. It's unfortunate that the anime didn't do a good job in hooking new fans or manga fans who have read previously.

I haven't tried Hunter X Hunter, but it looks like something up my alley to try. It's a shonen series, and I'm a shonen fan. Any tips on Hunter X Hunter?

Post by rubberluffy (567 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@takashichea:

I saw discussion about Magi's DVD/BD sales and the dropoff between vol 2 to vol 3 apparently was huge (comparisons to Blue Exorcist sales?).

If you're a shounen fan you pretty much need to watch Hunter x Hunter. Watch the new/current anime, since they just announced it will be animating the Chimera Ant arc next month, which the previous TV series+OVAs didn't cover. Also Madhouse has done a really good job with the new anime after some music/censorship missteps in the beginning arc. Consistently well animated and the censorship has been vastly toned down, but not really close to how violent the manga can get.

@rubberluffy:

The anime is not successful because of its pacing, animation issues, and manga faithfulness.

On the bright side, the volumes are successful. Magi Vol. 16 sold 309,656 copies. It made 1st place in the 3rd week of February.

See ANN link.

Post by Om1kron (141 posts) See mini bio Level 7

The show is kind of like the anime game of thrones to me... way too many characters getting introduced in a short period of time, lots of sub plotting that's kind of hard to keep track of unless you're REALLY paying attention to whats going on.

@Om1kron:

It's the pacing problem in the anime. They cover an average of four chapters (about 20 pages each) per episode. If you saw Sahsa and Leila and wonder about their relationship with Aladdin, the anime skipped a whole chapter of them. It was actually chapter 1.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel