Japan Responds (Minimally) to Upcoming Marvel Anime

Topic started by gia on Feb. 3, 2010. Last post by DubHoffa 4 years, 4 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13

I saved myself a link yesterday to this 2ch thread hoping that there would be a bunch of comments later for me to do a big Japan Responds post-- but it looks like Japanese otaku aren't really very interested in anime adaptations of big Marvel properties. 

The thread is about an anime!anime! article announcing that Madhouse will also be adapting X-Men and Blade into anime as they're already doing with Iron Man and Wolverine (which we already knew as of Comic-Con). But as of this writing, the only responses I had were:

"I wonder if I'm the only one who doesn't find a Japanese manga-style cartoon very interesting."

"It's really becoming a gray area..."

"Only kids and reals* will watch it."  

(* Real-juu (リア充) is, in fact, Internet slang for non-Internet nuts-- people who live their lives more or less fully IRL rather than online. I kid you not.)

"Which is higher ranked, Osamu Tezuka or Stan Lee?"

...Not exactly a very excited response. On the other hand, I think commenter #3 kind of hits the nail on the head: the people who are most likely to watch these anime, depending on their time slots, are people who got into the Hollywood flicks when they were released, a mainstream audience, not so much otaku. Of course, if they force it into an anime timeslot, the projects could be doomed...domestically, anyway. 

But therein lies the key: what doesn't sell in Japan could sell here. Just like how Dragonball Evolution made almost no money in the US, but more than made up its expenses overseas. But...in reverse!

Speaking of, Iron Man is currently scheduled to air in Japan this April, along with the other spring shows I just spotlighted.    
Post by crusader8463 (739 posts) See mini bio Level 9
You dare besmirch the great Stan Lee by compairing his creations to anything related to Dragonball Evolution?!?!?! They have a special ring in nerd hell for people like you! I unleash upon you the power of over 9000...

Seriously though, i will watch them. I love the marvel/DC cartoon movies that have been coming out about one or two a year, so hopefully they will be as good as most of them were.
Post by CorkscrewKid (61 posts) See mini bio Level 6
Stan Lee is just below jesus ,  so yes they need to be interested dam it!
Post by Dream (7,193 posts) See mini bio Level 20

As long as Madhouse doesn't go too off-the-wall with their adaptations of Marvel's properties, then the likelihood of an anime adaptation of Neil Gaiman's Sandman series would make me all the more giddy.
Post by Halberdierv2 (1,288 posts) See mini bio Level 17
i must be Real-juu, cuz im watching it.
Post by Konanda (796 posts) See mini bio Level 17

Does anyone know how well the X-Men Animated Series (from the 90s) did with the Japanese dub that TV-Tokyo did? 

Off course the anime otaku don't care for it, there won't be enough moe to keep them interested.       
/thread

Post by JackSukeru (402 posts) See mini bio Level 8
No japanese person #1, you are not alone.
@crusader8463: But it was "in reverse" so it's okay, right? 

@Dream: I would love to see that-- but I don't know how likely it is. ^^; Actually I'm still kind of amazed I haven't heard any significant gossip about a movie given all the comic property snatching up that happened a few years ago. 

@Halberdierv2: Real-juu is my new favorite Japanese term =P
Post by Dream (7,193 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@gia: Rumor has it Hollywood tried doing a very dumbed-down version of Sandman in the 1990s which Neil Gaiman strongly hated.
Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Japotakuguy#4 is kinda playing with his live over there no matter what the answer will be fan of both sides are gonna be pissed. the only correct answer could be that they are both equal :P

I dunno about this i`m getting the feeling that they are gonna add his alcoholic past in there somewhere and i`m didnt like that storyline that much (i`m one of the few)
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,638 posts) See mini bio Level 25
I've only seen the briefest trailer for the Iron Man and Wolverine animes. Iron Man seems fair, but the Wolverine version looks completely off. Far too 'pretty'. Their Wolverine looks like some sort of pretty boy. It looks too Trinity Blood. A much better fit for a Wolverine story would be examples like Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo. Mugen was kind of a Wolverine-esque character. A little more reality based and gritty.

When it's considered that Dragonball Evolution had a budget of $45,000,000 and it only grossed $57,000,000 world wide. That's looking at only a $12 Million gross profit. If you consider the $9 Million it made domestically "almost no money". That's hardly making up for expenses. Also consider that the $57 Million is gross and not net profit. There is also adverting costs to be considered as well as other overhead expenses. Not all of that money went back to paying off the production of the movie.

I site an example:
The blockbuster hit Forrest Gump was released in July 1994. A year later in May 1995, after grossing $661 Million world wide over it's $55 Million budget and winning an Academy Award for best picture, the movie had still not reached a net profit. It was considered by the makers to still be $60 Million in the hole.
Story HERE.
Post by N15PCA (611 posts) See mini bio Level 13

You can read and translate Japanese to English.  Way to go Gia.
Post by sora_thekey (1,097 posts) See mini bio Level 16
@FoxxFireArt said:
"I've only seen the briefest trailer for the Iron Man and Wolverine animes. Iron Man seems fair, but the Wolverine version looks completely off. Far too 'pretty'. Their Wolverine looks like some sort of pretty boy. It looks too Trinity Blood. A much better fit for a Wolverine story would be examples like Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo. Mugen was kind of a Wolverine-esque character. A little more reality based and gritty. "
I disagree... You know that the best anime Japan ever made were fighting robots and martial arts

Wolverine has a huge history of Martial arts behind hims.. so the adaptation would be a good one!  
Sure the look is different but still the animation and story could prove otherwise.... You might be basing this off too much on looks!
I think it fits!
Post by animeboy12 (35 posts) See mini bio Level 5
look I know 2ch supposed to be this huge Japanese forum and all but is it really that big that it's somehow the voice of Japan?
Post by Desisashi (1,801 posts) See mini bio Level 8

this is aweful news but even so with a face of optimism i look forward to seeing anime adaptation of marvel heroes
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
You know, all I can say is that I'm excited for it, even if they aren't.

But what do I know, I'm a real... I think?
Well, that's not true, I spend like 10 hours a day on the internet, but, but... I don't fear the sunlight?
Post by daotherkenji (48 posts) See mini bio Level 4
I wonder if its going to be as good as Gotham Knights was? the Iron man trailer was nice. I'm going to check it out. I rember seeing somewhere that its going to be 2011 before we get it here in the USA (that seems backwards). I'd rather see batman again though.
Post by Nerx (13,843 posts) See mini bio Level 12
In my world osamu is in fact higher than stan the man lee
@Nerx: I dunno...that'd be a tough call for me. 

Luckily I don't have to make it XD
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@daotherkenji said:
" I wonder if its going to be as good as Gotham Knights was? the Iron man trailer was nice. I'm going to check it out. I rember seeing somewhere that its going to be 2011 before we get it here in the USA (that seems backwards). I'd rather see batman again though. "
Good as Gotham Knights? I dunno. Like, you're entitled to your opinions, but I was fairly underwhelmed by Gotham Knights. I guess its not surprising, with source material as potentially limitless as that its pretty hard to meet one's expectations.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel