LOVE LIVE! SCHOOL IDOL PROJECT #1 - - Special Review

Topic started by No_name_here on Jan. 28, 2013. Last post by takashichea 1 year, 5 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (854 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

One of these days, I’m going to have to recount the time Sam and I went to a Maid Café (on a dare, basically)…

This may very well be the shojo-est of shojo shows I’ve ever watched for this column. If girliness levels were ever measured on a scanner, then this would most definitely be spiking over 9,000. We get asked a lot about what titles are good to introduce anime to the uninitiated with and, damn it, if you know somebody who just joneses for the likes of PITCH PERFECT or GLEE, then I see no reason whatsoever why they wouldn’t eat LOVE LIVE! up.

And you know what? I was entertained. Charmed even. This is actually a pretty tight pilot that sets its predicament up rather swiftly and gets you to sympathize with the players’ plight - - even if that plight does seem unintentionally hilarious.

Look, I took my classes in high school as seriously as anybody could, but even I wouldn’t have gotten that bent out of shape if the place closed three years after I graduated. (Presumably, I would be more concerned with college and my forthcoming life after colleges - - but hey, we’ll roll with it). All the same, I find several layers of amusement in the rather preposterous notion of a teenager founding a pop group on something of a desperate lark with the hope that the outfit will get successful enough to attract enough freshmen to potentially forestall the closure of her high school.

For one, this seems like exactly the sort of scheme that gets forgotten about in a week. But saying this dream actually does become real (and this is an anime, so we know it will), wouldn’t the girls wind up rolling in so much dough as pop stars that they (ironically?) wouldn’t even have much reason to finish high school?

Such are the questions running through my head as I watch quick-draw musical numbers that involve computer-accurate dance routines in my anime…

Watch this episode, "May Our Dream Come True!" here and decide for yourself.

Tom Pinchuk’s a writer and personality with a large number of comics, videos and features like this to his credit. Visit his website - - tompinchuk.com - - and follow his Twitter: @tompinchuk

Post by metalsnakezero (665 posts) See mini bio Level 16

The show, so far, has been doing well with it premise and characters. The one thing I ended up liking about the show is the reality of the school idol plan of it may not working, adding some nice emotional layer to the show. Keep watching Tom and see where it going.

For a side note, the Love Live! School Idol Project started on a magazine where readers would influence parts of it production from character position in music videos, what they wear and hair style, and the very name of the group.

Post by Kino88 (189 posts) See mini bio Level 6

I hated Eureka seven and many people called that one "the Real World" meets mecha anime, which made sense to me because I also hated the "the Real World", Glee is another TV show I hate so yeah..... I kinda feel in my gut were this could be going,

that being said nobody presents foot taping, hand clapping, Gleefulness with more genuine charisma than the Japanese do, so may be this is a more fitting flavor,

still that being said, seriously Japan enough with high school already, we know you have adults over there somewhere.....

why can't they have an adventure or two as well?

Post by Marshal Victory (1,864 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Four letter word for tv i will not watch... GLEE.Blame it on the rain or blame it on Fame the movie or tv series.Happy i knew enuff Idol shows would be odds are close to thsoe other to..For those that love it good on ya.. just not for me.

Post by NickyCharisma (48 posts) See mini bio Level 6
Oh yes! More shojo. I'm always on the lookout for more shojo (sincerity). Is there a term for men who like shojo? Is "brojo" already a thing?
Post by Petiew (244 posts) See mini bio Level 14
I wasn't going to pick this up, since I'm already watching the AKB Idol Show (Space Idols fighting against the no fun allowed police), but if Tom has been intrigued there's no harm in giving it a watch.
Post by No_name_here (854 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

@NickyCharisma said:

Oh yes! More shojo. I'm always on the lookout for more shojo (sincerity). Is there a term for men who like shojo? Is "brojo" already a thing?

@Marshal Victory said:

Four letter word for tv i will not watch... GLEE.Blame it on the rain or blame it on Fame the movie or tv series.

Hahaha! Love you guys.

Post by zaldar (1,222 posts) See mini bio Level 15

@NickyCharisma: Well there kind of is but all of them are rather insulting so...

Post by cynically_happy (115 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@NickyCharisma: Brojo is the best thing I've heard all day, thank you good sir.

Post by DocHaus (923 posts) See mini bio Level 18

On the other hand, this anime teaches us that playing in traffic is fun as long as you can sing while doing it.

Post by takashichea (10,650 posts) See mini bio Level 25

I think you referenced Tari Tari to Glee, but it wasn't like Glee. It was less teen angst and more about the ambitions of five high schoolers who are living life to the fullest.

I haven't tried this one yet, but it's too cutesy (maybe too Moe?) for me. Plus, I don't see any guys at all in this show. Huh, I wonder if there's you know what in the show.

Edit:

There is no teen angst in Tari Tari.

Post by sickVisionz (4,223 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@NickyCharisma said:

Is there a term for men who like shojo? Is "brojo" already a thing?

We can only pray that it isn't and never comes into existence.

One of these days, I’m going to have to recount the time Sam and I went to a Maid Café (on a dare, basically)…

Suuuuure... it was just a dare. Or maybe it was because all I can imagine is some one asking if you and Sam are bad enough dudes to go to a maid cafe

Post by Acura_Max (2,322 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@takashichea said:

I think you referenced Tari Tari to Glee, but it wasn't like Glee. It was less teen angst and more about the ambitions of five high schoolers who are living life to the fullest.

I haven't tried this one yet, but it's too cutesy (maybe too Moe?) for me. Plus, I don't see any guys at all in this show. Huh, I wonder if there's you know what in the show.

Edit:

There is no teen angst in Tari Tari.

I thought moe and cutesy were the same thing.

On screened, this would be a "save the rec center" type of movie.

Post by takashichea (10,650 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@Acura_Max:

Okay, I finally watch one episode, and I got a Tari Tari vibe with the effects of declining birth rates are affecting schools. This show is not for me.

I wonder can a show be both classified as both Moe and Shojo. I was thinking what was the difference between the two since Shojo appeals mostly to girls with a few exceptions and Moe appeals mostly to guys.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel