WTF Wednesday 03/11/09

Topic started by gia on March 11, 2009. Last post by Kawanoka_Kyrogi 5 years, 5 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13

So this week I thought I'd spotlight a manga I had never heard of until recently: Cat Shit One, also known as Apocalypse Meow in the US. The series is set in the Vietnam War, but features the characters as anthropomorphic animals, depending on the nationality. For example, Americans are rabbits, Vietnamese are cats, French are pigs, Chinese are pandas, and the Japanese are monkeys and gorillas. (Hey, I didn't make these up!)

That may make it sound like it's some kind of cute comedic parody, but the official blurb on Amazon tells otherwise:

This engrossing manga replaces the human characters who fought and died in the Vietnam War with cute anthropomorphic animals, recreating the conflict with its horrific violence and vivid military exploits intact.”

The series is ongoing in Japan, and while it's licensed, only three volumes have been released in English so far, all in 2004, by ADV. Now, since that was before ADV Manga started running into its real troubles, I'm guessing we can assume that Apocalypse Meow didn't sell very well and we probably won't see new volumes, and the old volumes appear to be long out of stock at bookstores.

But if this unusual title sounds like something you want to read, there ARE used copies available on Amazon.com, and probably other used booksellers. If you actually HAVE read it, leave a comment-- I want to know what you think! Meanwhile, I'm going to look around my local used shops, because this sounds too weird to miss.

Post by Devilly (5,329 posts) See mini bio Level 10
This reminds me of Maus that was a good series  lol
Post by Sonata (35,339 posts) See mini bio Level 20
lol WOW I suddenly have the urge to play Conker, and watch Chip N' Dales Rescue RangersXD
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Sonata: CH CH CH CHIP'n'DALE!
Post by Sonata (35,339 posts) See mini bio Level 20
lol Oh no now I got to watch it!!XD
Post by Suzu (3 posts) See mini bio Level 1
I flipped trough the French version. It's a bit too strange for my taste but maybe I'll be giving it a second chance.

How can anyone compare that to Maus? That's almost blasphemous. XD
Post by Devilly (5,329 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Suzu said:
"I flipped trough the French version. It's a bit too strange for my taste but maybe I'll be giving it a second chance.

How can anyone compare that to Maus? That's almost blasphemous. XD
"
Just how the humans in a war setting get replaced by animals thats all sorry please dont excommunicate me from the fangroup XD
Post by Kawanoka_Kyrogi (836 posts) See mini bio Level 3
gia said:
"Sonata: CH CH CH CHIP'n'DALE!
"
I love Chip and Dale, they're awesome! :D
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel