What happened to gag manga?

Topic started by sachapresburger on Feb. 18, 2014. Last post by sickVisionz 9 months, 1 week ago.
Post by sachapresburger (4 posts) See mini bio Level 8

Another rant, here I go. Anyone read any classic manga from the late 70s and 80s? You know, the lighthearted slapstick shit that seems to have been cast aside in favor of a darker, more action-packed style?  
If you have no idea what I'm going on about, read Doraemon, Dr. Slump, Kinnikuman, you know, the works! Where did it all go? I wish I could open a manga and have a lighthearted chuckle. Not every manga demands emotional investment. 
Post by DBZ_universe (15,885 posts) See mini bio Level 17

I wish we had more gag mangas, serious man gas are ugh...

Post by taichokage (15,350 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Have you read/seen Gintama or Beelzebub? Those are among the most prominent gag manga of today I would say. I'm not finished with Ginatama and it's still ongoing. It's quite long, not far from the 500 chapter mark. Beelzebub just ended weeks ago. Gintama is probably the most popular gag manga currently running. It's anime had over 250 episodes before getting cancelled. Beelzebub had 60 then was canceled.
Post by sickVisionz (4,310 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@sachapresburger: This stuff still exists in droves. The overwhelming majority of anime is based off of manga and just by looking at the number of lighthearted anime series there are, there can't be a huge lack of lighthearted manga by default.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel