Weekly One Piece: Chapter 659

Topic started by GodLen on March 7, 2012. Last post by king9999 2 years, 4 months ago.
Post by GodLen (877 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Staff

It’s Nami’s turn to stand in the spotlight last chapter when she alone decided it was their obligation to save a bunch of crying children from their abductors. I guess Nami is the only one with a conscience among their group; though I’m sure Luffy would have helped those children as well. Will Smoker bring a stop to the Straw Hat pirates’ vacation, or is he the one who will need to be saved?

THE GOOD

Smoker is starting to suspect something about this crazy island. He is getting the feeling that this island just might be occupied, and that the occupants do not want him or his crew to know. After fighting off deadly gas and fake ice bergs they come upon a door, a door hiding the current owner of this island, the Shichibukai Trafalgar Law! Once again you guys called it, he was rumored to be heartless, but now it is proven. He actually sent the hearts of 100 pirates to the government in order to become a Shichibukai, this guy is intense!

On the Straw Hats side, Luffy and the gang decided to ditch the hot side, and head on over to the frozen side. To do this Usopp builds them a banana boat using his seed powers; he thought of everything, hasn’t he? As they are halfway across this river they see in the distance the “boss” centaur, who has confused Zoro for the samurai who attacked them. This means that there is a chance that these centaurs just might be good guys after all.

THE BAD

I was kinda hoping for Doflamingo, but I’m sure his turn will be soon. I suspect he will play an important role in the future. Oda hardly ever forgets characters he introduces, so we haven’t seen the last of him yet.

THE VERDICT 4/5

It was a nice surprise seeing Law standing there. I wasn’t expecting to see this mysterious Shichibukai yet, but happy I did. I’m sure Smoker and Law will not settle their differences with talking, and sure they will come to fisticuffs next chapter.

Post by Username_Undefined (89 posts) See mini bio Level 12

The difference between Doflamingo and Law's powers, to me, it that Doflamingo is a puppet-master and can use his invisible "strings" to slice people up like he did to Oars Jr.'s leg. Law can separate people's body parts within his bubble, but they are just taken apart, not actually cut. Oars Jr. bled after his leg was cut off; Law was juggling screaming Marines' heads after the slave market incident, so it makes more sense that Law would be the one on the island with the legs, head, and now torso of the samurai still functioning as they normally would.

Probably my favorite panel of this chapter is when Luffy's group were trying to figure out how to get to the other side of the island. After Zoro's suggestion that they all just swim over, Luffy says that he and Robin can't swim. The two parts about that panel I like are Robin's imagination of her and Luffy riding on Zoro and Usopps back and Zoro stretching getting ready to swim anyway.

Post by fijilovesyou (65 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Ah. You beat me at getting first. Nevermind.

That is to be expected. Trafalgar Law had to do with this one. But... hooh.. He is officially a Shichibukai now. I wonder who are the others who filled the gap of Shichibukai. Now he has a higher bounty of Luffy because of he stealing hearts of pirates. Hence, this action describes captain and his crew, "Heart Pirates".

@Emeryl said:

Luffy says that he and Robin can't swim. The two parts about that panel I like are Robin's imagination of her and Luffy riding on Zoro and Usopps back and Zoro stretching getting ready to swim anyway.

Like this panel too. It made my day. I so love Robin and her imagination.

Post by Nerx (13,843 posts) See mini bio Level 12

All my predictions came true xD

Post by falconpunch (5 posts) See mini bio Level 4

440,000,000 is a big ass bounty.

@fijilovesyou: I think one of the other two unknown Shichibukai is Buggy. The other one is probably one of the old rookies besides Law, Kid, and Drake.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,158 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Huh, I truly didn't expect Law. I first thought it was him, until I remember that his powers seem to be limit to an area. But after reading this chapter I went back to the chapter he first use his powers and notice that it was never shown that the marines he use it on didn't go back to normal afterward. And the funny thing about this that Law's name match the animal theme of the Shichibukai (Trafalgar Animal Hospital). If this manga was a snake, it would have bit me

First I was wrong about the island and now I was wrong about the new Shichibukai, this just make me sad

@fijilovesyou said:

Luffy says that he and Robin can't swim. The two parts about that panel I like are Robin's imagination of her and Luffy riding on Zoro and Usopps back and Zoro stretching getting ready to swim anyway.

Like this panel too. It made my day. I so love Robin and her imagination.

I love that panel to, one of the best part of this chapter

Brook versus the samurai's torso was awesome to

This was an awesome chapter, can't wait until next week

5/5

Post by tximinoman (54 posts) See mini bio Level 6

I don't think I'm liking too much how Oda seems to be rushing up things. Since the 2 year time skip (we can start calling this part of the manga "One Piece: New World" or "One Piece Z" can't we?) it's like Oda's forcing things to happen. I mean... the first island they ended up in is Aokiji's and Akainu's fight scenario after we just learned they fought some time ago (wich in this manga's weird) and then a Supernova who become Shichibukai in the timeskip's there. Back in the east blue days (that's a long time ago by the way) it would've taken at least three or more Islands to know all this and know it feels like it's rushing things up a little bit.

And, also, since the fight between Ace and Teach it feels like a lot of shit's happening in this manga that have nothing to do with the main characters.

Post by ohgodwhy (1,480 posts) See mini bio Level 11

I guess pretty much everyone was right with this the Trafalagar Law theory, when the centaurs said he had a katana I just knew that it was 100% him right there.

@Emeryl: I was thinking the puppet strings theory too. It makes the most sense but when I went on OP wiki they weren't very clear on what his power might be but I guess they don't like to speculate too much.

Post by this_is_riddle (201 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Man I loved Trafalgar I thought he was an awesome character and had an even more awesome power now it seems like he is truly a twisted guy. Cutting up Samurais, Cutting out hearts, working with the government, what is next?

But if he founds out that Luffy is on the island wouldn't that make him stop or are we going to see a Trafalgar vs Luffy in the near future?

Also this explains all the experiments on the island because Law's epithet is suppose to be a reference to a Nazi Physician called the Angel of Death. Don't believe me look it up on wiki Law

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,158 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@tximinoman:

I don't think I'm liking too much how Oda seems to be rushing up things.

Oda-sensei didn't rush things, if he did he would have put Big Mom or Blackbeard there.

Since the 2 year time skip (we can start calling this part of the manga "One Piece: New World" or "One Piece Z" can't we?) it's like Oda's forcing things to happen.

No, it part of the story. If he was forcing things to happen the Straw Hats would be half way to the end and fighting a Enel on the moon

Back in the east blue days (that's a long time ago by the way) it would've taken at least three or more Islands to know all this and know it feels like it's rushing things up a little bit.

It did take three islands, remember they skip three of them LOL!

It not that rush, Oda-sensei still have tons of things up his sleeve

Post by One_Piece_God (540 posts) See mini bio Level 8

@tximinoman:

I believe Oda perfectly reveals everything when required. Thats why One Piece is the best manga in Japan. :D & as @Destinyheroknight: said your forgetting about the 2 year time skip, everything in this manga is perfectly controlled. We (the readers) know very little in the One Piece world (i hate to admit it) but its true there are many things Oda has to explain & reveal still to come. Damn it I cant wait!!!!

a lot of shit's happening in this manga that have nothing to do with the main characters.

This is not Naruto where practically everything revolves around Naruto & Sasuke in some way.

Post by tximinoman (54 posts) See mini bio Level 6

@One_Piece_God said:

This is not Naruto where practically everything revolves around Naruto & Sasuke in some way.

Not so long ago... it was.

Post by ouchmydragonballs (41 posts) See mini bio Level 8

I am honestly a bit disappointed that Trafalgar is a Shichibukai now. It doesn't make that much sense to me. The only logical thing i can think of is that Trafalgar is using the perks of a Shichibukai the same way Blackbeard did. Before the times skip, the Heart Pirates where shocked to hear that their captain did not enter the New World right away. Law reassuringly told them that the One Piece isn't going anywhere. So I am 99% this is a scam like Blackbeard. I also hope he doesn't fight Luffy. Even though he seems to be the main villain of this Arc, i don't think he will be. Besides the fact the he has the connection with Luffy,I Just do not see an epic battle between the Heart Pirates and the Straw Hats. The only to members of the Heart Pirates that are actually noticeable are Bepo and Jean Bart. Maybe more members where added to the crew, only time will tell. I can also see Bepo and Jean Bart coming out to Vs. Sanji and Franky. That would be an awesome fight!

Post by Lobos_Del_Rayo (2,767 posts) See mini bio Level 12

The best part about this at least for me is that we will finally learn what the extent and explanation of Law's powers. What fruit is that? What else can it do? Can it work on a rubber man like Luffy? ;)

Post by ouchmydragonballs (41 posts) See mini bio Level 8

^i am looking forward to that

Post by Sreenivas (41 posts) See mini bio Level 10

awesome bro!! who could ve thought law would become shichibukai.He must ve replaced Moria.

Post by taichokage (12,500 posts) See mini bio Level 20
It wouldn't just be Moria that needs replacing. Teach and Jinbei do as well.
Post by king9999 (2 posts) See mini bio Level 3

That is one slick coat Law is wearing.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel