Weekly One Piece: Chapter 657

Topic started by GodLen on Feb. 15, 2012. Last post by Nerx 2 years, 6 months ago.
Post by GodLen (877 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Staff

So the last we left the crew, half of them were sleeping because of a sudden sleep gas attack, and the other half were killing a dragon and making friends with a pair of legs. Yup, that’s One Piece for you. Like the start of most arcs in this manga, there are a lot of questions to be answered, and I’m sure a lot more to be asked. Let’s see if this chapter helps explain some of it.

THE GOOD

We are graced with more information about this samurai man this chapter. First thing we learn about this guy is that he has a head, and it is in pieces--literally. When Sanji, Franky, and Nami wake up from their little sleep, they find and help put together this samurai back to normal. Basically someone cut him up, but the slices did not kill him for some unknown reason. Now he is forced to live in shame as a man of many pieces, but he will not kill himself yet because he is on a mission. And that mission is to save his son who has been kidnapped. In the end, a simple jail cell can not hold these guys, and the Straw Hats escape thanks to Franky’s beam. But wait! What happened to Brook? Me thinks that the people who kidnapped the crew must have thought he was just a dead body they kept on deck for fun, or something.

Now Luffy and the rest of the gang end up eating the dragon, no surprise there. They end up noticing that the other half of the island is actually covered in snow. But that’s not all! Usopp ends up noticing a very creepy bird lady thing that has been keeping an eye on the Straw Hats. Could she be a friend or a foe? My guess would be a foe, because I know what friendly eyes look like in One Piece, and those weren’t friendly eyes sister.

THE BAD

I’m still surprised that Sanji put that guys neck on the top of his head and didn’t notice it looked funny for half of the chapter.

THE VERDICT 3/5

I’m liking this samurai character already. Honorable, perverted, and sexist--he would be a perfect match for the Straw Hats. Yet, the crew already has two members that fight with swords, I don’t think they would need another one. But on second thought maybe this samurai doesn’t fight with a sword, but a spear instead? That would work I guess. Anyways, I’m excited to see just who imprisoned the Straw Hats.

Post by Hameyadea (41 posts) See mini bio Level 13

First off, just Franky's usage of the Radical Beam should give the chapter a 4 out of 5 for starters. Secondly, When they found all those big kids, I thought the Shichibukai Jewelry Bonney.

Post by Lobos_Del_Rayo (2,846 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@Hameyadea: Nope I wasn't thinking Jewelry Bonney I was thinking about Big Mom who was revealed is a giant person...thing? With the Big Mom vs Straw Hats war just looming over everything it wouldn't be surprise a surprise if they start to hint at her and those giant babies will explain why she is huge like literally HUGE!

Post by Username_Undefined (89 posts) See mini bio Level 12

This chapter had me laughing the whole time. Parts that especially got me were "Centaur-Luffy" and the conversation between the samurai and Nami (which I'm convinced she manipulated just to get Sanji to kick his head). I also loved Chopper's expression when Franky revealed his beam weapon and his desire to shoot a beam too; now we just have to wait for Luffy's and Usopp's reaction.

Post by fijilovesyou (65 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@Hameyadea said:

I thought the Shichibukai Jewelry Bonney.

Uhm. She was not a Shichibukai, she was one of the Eleven Supernovas.

From what I perceive, Sanji, Nami, Franky and Chopper are trapped inside a research lab or something. Franky's Radical Beam saves the day! I guess Sanji's kicks was not enough to break it. And that bird lady, I dunno why but even if it is a bird devil fruit, I can't help but think the she is an human who ate the angel devil fruit (there is Sengoku's buddha fruit so it might be possible. Hahaha. What a big irony.)

And possibly, the leg and the head of samurai are from different people? Only time will tell.

Post by Username_Undefined (89 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@fijilovesyou said:

I dunno why but even if it is a bird devil fruit, I can't help but think the she is an human who ate the angel devil fruit (there is Sengoku's buddha fruit so it might be possible. Hahaha. What a big irony.)

IIRC, angel in Japanese is tenshi. If that's true, it fits in with the two syllable naming system that exists, so I don't see why not.

Slight side-note, "mizu" also has two syllables, so I'd love to see a "Water-water fruit" show up sometime just to see how Oda plays with the paradox of having a Devil Fruit that turns the user into water.

Post by Hameyadea (41 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@fijilovesyou: I know that Jewelry Bonney was one of the Eleven Supernovas, but what if she is a Shichibukai post-time skip?

Post by taichokage (13,021 posts) See mini bio Level 20
That's entirely possible but not as likely as Eustass Kid, or other Supernova attaining the position, although there are/were four vacancies so it's more likely. But she would have to have been rescued from the marines and most likely impel down, unless she was somehow able to barter with Akainu. Since he spared her to begin was a testimony to her chances of bargaining with him since Akainu is an extremist and rarely shows mercy.
Post by fijilovesyou (65 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@Emeryl said:

Slight side-note, "mizu" also has two syllables, so I'd love to see a "Water-water fruit" show up sometime just to see how Oda plays with the paradox of having a Devil Fruit that turns the user into water.

It was actually used already. Liquid-liquid fruit, I think it was in the first One Piece movie.

@Hameyadea said:

@fijilovesyou: I know that Jewelry Bonney was one of the Eleven Supernovas, but what if she is a Shichibukai post-time skip?

We don't know yet, but Akainu captured her... and I think he punished her. Akainu is an extremist and stands by his justice. So I don't think she is alive anymore or probably at Impel Down. Sure her powers are nasty, but I don't think it is strong enough.

Post by Nerx (13,843 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@GodLen: So many fan speculations in this one

1. The island is the aftermath of Aokji vs Akainu
  2. Trafalgar may have something to do with that samurai
  3. Those are elbaf giant babies
Post by Lobos_Del_Rayo (2,846 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@Nerx said:

@GodLen: So many fan speculations in this one

1. The island is the aftermath of Aokji vs Akainu
  2. Trafalgar may have something to do with that samurai
  3. Those are elbaf giant babies

The moment we saw this island I said that was the aftermath and the island they fought. It is the only explanation to have a half freezing half burning island.

I never thought about the samurai being a result of Trafalgar powers that would be awesome I am missing him but would't that mean that he has taken a darker turn I didn't think he would be the type to slice up a samurai like that.

@Lobos_Del_Rayo: The epithet "Surgeon of Death" would not go to a nice person and considering how he's got the stones to flip the bird agains Kidd shows that he means business, he probably didn't slice him but use 'shambles' instead.

Post by ohgodwhy (1,534 posts) See mini bio Level 11

@Nerx: I question whether it was the site of the battle seeing as the Aokiji and Akainu fight happened somewhere in between the 2 year time gap and it was mentioned in the manga that the island has been closed off for at least 4 years. It's certainly possible but imo it's unlikely.

The Trafalgar theory looks quite interesting though.

@ohgodwhy: The point of intrigue for me would be the Big Elbaf Babies, samurais and vikings... (sword and sandals reference maybe?)

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel