Weekly One Piece: Chapter 655

Topic started by GodLen on Feb. 1, 2012. Last post by ohgodwhy 2 years, 7 months ago.
Post by GodLen (877 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Staff

The Straw Hats have officially entered into the New World! We’ve only seen one page of this sea so far, and it is already crazier than the first half of the Grand Line combined. Raining lightning and the sea is on fire, this is going to be exciting. Let’s see what adventure awaits the Straw Hats in this next arc.

THE GOOD

The Straw Hats have jumped from the frying pan, into the fire--literally! It looks like next arc will feature an island that is constantly on fire called Punk Hazard. So the next arc after being stuck under the sea is the complete opposite, a being stuck in a sea of fire. So the story goes that the Straw Hats receive a call of help through a den-den mushi. A nameless underling requests that the Straw Hats help them because a samurai is killing them all; one which eventually kills the caller. He tells them to go to Punk Hazard, which must be the island closest to them.

Now when I read Brook’s explanation of who the Samurai are, I almost blew my lid. So if the next arc’s villains take on a Japanese theme, that means they must have ninjas there as well. And we all know what that means: PIRATES VERSUS NINJAS! We will finally get our answer on who is the strongest among them, though this medium might be a little biased. Also Punk Hazard seems to be a hidden marine base, and is most likely some kind of secret laboratory for Vegapunk due to the similar use of the word punk and the fact that Vegapunk most likely likes to set things on fire.

Another great aspect of this chapter is that we get to see Smoker again. I thought he was bad ass when we last saw him, but his bad ass factor has increased tenfold. His bad assery increases at an exponential level! So once they enter the island every takes off their clothes and start to explore the place. Soon after they run into the only creature that can survive in this environment, a dragon! Perhaps Oda is playing Skyrim a little too much like the rest of us?

THE BAD

If Zoro is not Dragon Born, then I’m dropping this manga like a sack of door nobs.

THE VERDICT 4/5

I really enjoyed this chapter because it opens to doors to so many different cool things in the future. Dragons, Samurai, lots of fire, Vegapunk, shirtless Straw Hats--ect. Usually the first dangerous thing the Straw Hats meet on an island is a good guy, so I’m expecting Luffy and the Dragon to become good friends. Luffy, you need to make the Dragon into the next Straw Hat pirate, forget about Jinbe.

Post by JonSmith (185 posts) See mini bio Level 7

Did Smoker's appearance in this chapter remind anyone else an awful lot of Crocodile?

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,282 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Cool, we going to see the homeland of Ryuma.

I guessing the island is hot on one side and freezing on the other

I really want to know how the Samurai looks

Man, G-5 are brutal. I feel sorry for the pirates

I kind of sad that Luffy didn't go to Raijin Island (that place seem cool)

This chapter make me think that Big Mom is half-dragon and half-human.

Loving Smoker new design

Also when Tashigi said "The Incident That Happen Four Years Ago", I was thinking about Franky pushing a big red button with a cross bone on it LOL! (4/5)

Post by Hameyadea (41 posts) See mini bio Level 13

4/5?! Luffy finally met his "father"!! (pun). Also, thanks god Sanji wasn't part of the group, as he would've had a cardiac arrest if he saw Robin wearing even less clothes.

Post by Kuro_San (1,338 posts) See mini bio Level 11

Considering how bad Zoro sense of direction is he could be a native from the island of the Samurai without knowing

Post by this_is_riddle (201 posts) See mini bio Level 10

I would bet anything that Punk Hazard is the island that Aokiji and Akainu fought and their powers completely warp the island climate. One side is freezing cold the other is burning hot.

Post by Username_Undefined (89 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@JonSmith: I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thought Smoker was channeling a little bit of Crocodile with his new look (though the sunglasses are what really sell it) Though I wonder how he got that scar on his face, being a Logia-type and all. Maybe a Seastone knife got him?

@this_is_riddle: That's an interesting theory. One that I never thought of.

Also, THEY MET A DRAGON!! A. DRAGON. I can't wait to see Luffy make another pet like the Kraken ally (the dragon can talk). Imagine later when Luffy's fighting Big Ma'am (whenever that will be) and suddenly a dragon pops up out of nowhere to help. Whatever happens, I hope we see more of this. Maybe a dragon island (resisting urge to make a Wind Waker pun) just so Usopp can act normal since he's already met one and the crew left on the Sunny freak out over both dragons and his apathy towards it.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,282 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@this_is_riddle:

I would bet anything that Punk Hazard is the island that Aokiji and Akainu fought and their powers completely warp the island climate. One side is freezing cold the other is burning hot.

There is a little flaw in that, Tashigi said that the incident happen four years ago and the Aokiji and Akainu fight was just two years ago

@Emeryl:

Though I wonder how he got that scar on his face, being a Logia-type and all. Maybe a Seastone knife got him?

Also there are tons of Haki users in the New World, Smoker probably got careless (since he a Logia-type)

@Destinyheroknight: Or from the Marines' brutal training to make Smoker Vice-Admiral (a la G-5-like training).

Post by this_is_riddle (201 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@Destinyheroknight: I know that but it just seems too weird and it would make sense. I was it was that because then maybe we would see Aokiji :P

Post by fijilovesyou (65 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Is it just me or Oda-sensei tries to put every fairy tale in existence? I won't mind if it is a devil fruit power, but a real dragon? Really. Dragon and pirates doesn't really mesh well. That dragon could just be a human with a dragon devil fruit power. Wonder if it is a sage/elder dragon or just a plain dragon that destroys.

@fijilovesyou said:

That dragon could just be a human with a dragon devil fruit power.

I keep thinking that too, We'll just have to wait and see.

Post by ohgodwhy (1,541 posts) See mini bio Level 12

I love one piece, it always manages to bust something amazing out arc after arc

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel