Weekly One Piece: Chapter 648

Topic started by GodLen on Dec. 1, 2011. Last post by Lobos_Del_Rayo 3 years ago.
Post by GodLen (877 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Staff

The battle is finally over, and the good guys have claimed victory. It’s not really the Straw Hats victory but more so a victory for the Fishmen. We found out last time that it wasn’t Luffy who put a stop to the ship (even though he probably could), but the sea kings via the Princess’s power. Let’s see how this all wraps up.

THE GOOD

First of all I have to take some time here to admit I was wrong. I really didn’t believe anyone was going to join the crew this arc, but now after this chapter all signs are showing that isn’t the case. What totally blew me out of the water was the last page of this chapter, where Luffy asked Jinbe to join his crew. After the battle Luffy was badly damaged, and needed blood fast. Despite the law, Jinbe gave Luffy some of his own to save his life, thus linking these two not only by friendship, but by blood as well. After an act like that Luffy had to ask him to join.

However, Luffy has asked many people throughout his journey to join his crew which ended up turning him down. So is Jinbe one of those people who has other obligations they must attend to rather than be a pirate superstar, like Vivi for example? That is a tough question. Yes he can stay on the island and help them rebuild, while helping them return to the surface, or they might make him King or something. I don’t think this is the case. After giving his blood to Luffy, I think this might have ostracized him a little bit from the community. So the only thing left for him is to join the Straw Hats and help preserve Fishman culture that way.

Some other important notes, it looks like the Princess’s power to control sea kings actually has the potential to destroy the world, and they will pull Noah when the time comes to leave, whenever that is. Also Caribou escaped with all the treasure in the castle’s vault, leaving the mermaids for Sanji.

THE BAD

I can’t really see anything bad about this chapter, other than the sea kings not joining the Straw Hats.

THE VERDICT 4/5

What an exciting chapter, which I guess only for me, was really a shocker. Jinbe would make an excellent addition to the team as the serious, father-like figure they have all been waiting for. But will he join? That is the question that will be on all of our minds as we wait for next chapter!

Post by ninjadude853 (464 posts) See mini bio Level 12

DAMN IT JENBE, JOIN, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, JOIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by fijilovesyou (65 posts) See mini bio Level 10

The big 3 of Shonen Jump is on fire. I am ranking this week's One Piece as second. (I ranked Bleach as first since because of the new Bankai, so bad ass. But I still love OP and Naruto more than Bleach). I knew this is going to happen eventually! And the clairvoyance of Madam Shirley, turning the Fishman Island to Zero is actually the transfusion of blood of Luffy and Jinbe, which resets the island's rules. I really want Jinbe to join, and if he joins, I can see in the future that there will be comic relief that the SH crew won't be able to eat that much seafood anymore since he is a fish man.

If Jinbe is actually joining, his crew members will be 9, then I could see one more person joining. Since it is foreshadowed from the start that Luffy wants 8 or 10 crew members.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,389 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@fijilovesyou:

I believe the ship count as a crew member, so they will be at ten if Jinbei join

Also Oda-sama have said that no more people will join the crew after they enter the New World (so Jinbei will be the last to join)

This was a great chapter, I love the hints about Gol D. Roger powers (the power to hear all) I hope Jinbei join the crew

I wonder what Luffy will do to get a bigger bounty then Jinbei?

Post by Wraxend (32 posts) See mini bio Level 9
It so obvious Jinbe is gonna join I mean just look at his and Luffys history this is a Nakama 2yrs in the making. Also he's a wanted pirate these days so the only way to keep Fishman Island safe would be to leave as to not attract the attention of the World Goverment. Plus he would make an awesome addition to the crew :D
Post by ouchmydragonballs (41 posts) See mini bio Level 8
If Jinbe doesnt join i will be very disapointed. My evidence for Jinbe joining is the sames as Wraxend's. Jinbe made that promise with Ace as well, that he would look after Luffy, so i rly believe that he will join. Plus, he would be so kickass. And by the way, Luffy Already has a higher bounty than Jinbe so idk what Destinyheroknight is talkin bout

@ouchmydragonballs:

Both Jinbei and Luffy bounty was the same, until Jinbei left the Seven Warlords (It have went up)

Also here another reason Jinbei might join

Post by ouchmydragonballs (41 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Hahahaha damn i over looked that. Thanks Destinyheroknight, thats rly interesting, im looking forward now to see Luffy try to one up Jinbe bounty wise.
Post by fijilovesyou (65 posts) See mini bio Level 10

I forgot to include the comic relief that will happen to Jinbe and Luffy about the bounties. I, too look forward on how Luffy will overcome 400mil+ bounty of Jinbe!

Post by Phoenix_Wright (124 posts) See mini bio Level 10

I agree I believe the ship is a part of the crew, I mean Luffy even said so during the time the still had the going Merry. I loved this chapter, after this I'm pretty sure they will be back on land and we may see some new villains or (Hopefully) old faces. I wounder if Oda is going to do a sorta time-skip re-do of the first season starting out in fishman island then going to some snowy place (One of Kaido's islands maybe?) then some sort of dessert and fighting the new villains accordingly. Kinda how Luffy fought in the first season (Arlong, Wapol, Crocodile ect) I am sure they will be re-visiting all these old places though.

Post by Om1kron (144 posts) See mini bio Level 7

I didn't even read your guy's speculation last week about jinbe joining the crew, it seriously was the last thing on my mind for this arc and was such a surprise to me that I guess I wasn't too absorbed in this arc. The anime so far I am LOVING how they're directing the fishman arc. The animation quality of one piece is so high now that I'd be saddened if it somehow degraded ever.

Post by sungahymn (1 posts) See mini bio Level 4

@Destinyheroknight: Where/When did Oda say that no one will join after the Straw Hat Pirates enter the New World?

@sungahymn:

In a interview, I forget which one (have to find it)

I first hear it from the Unofficial One Piece Podcast

Post by Lobos_Del_Rayo (2,905 posts) See mini bio Level 12

I think I am the only one mad that Jinbe is going to join the crew because it doesn't make any sense, up until this point every person who joined the crew was for the a certain reason they had a job that needed to be filled:

• Nami=Navigator
  • Sanji=Chef
  • Chopper=Doctor
  • etc.

What exactly is Jinbe reason for joining just so the crew could have another power house? He doesn't really fit into anything maybe he will be the crew's blood supply for Luffy.

Post by Seishiro_Hasaiki (143 posts) See mini bio Level 7

@Lobos_Del_Rayo said:

I think I am the only one mad that Jinbe is going to join the crew because it doesn't make any sense, up until this point every person who joined the crew was for the a certain reason they had a job that needed to be filled:

• Nami=Navigator
  • Sanji=Chef
  • Chopper=Doctor
  • etc.

What exactly is Jinbe reason for joining just so the crew could have another power house? He doesn't really fit into anything maybe he will be the crew's blood supply for Luffy.

He'll be the crews helmsman. Even though the crew have decent people who can steer the ship they will need someone of Jinbe's caliber and experience in order to sail through the new world which has shown to have erratic weather conditions.

Post by tximinoman (57 posts) See mini bio Level 6

@Lobos_Del_Rayo said:

• Nami=Navigator
  • Sanji=Chef
  • Chopper=Doctor
  • etc.

I thought the same thing, but the I remembered thar Nico Robin has one of the lamest excuses for joining a pirate crew (she's the crew's "archeologist", who needs an archeologist in the first place?) so they can make something up for Jinbe as well

Post by Lobos_Del_Rayo (2,905 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@tximinoman: Pretty much at this point Jinbe is just another powerhouse in a crew filled with powerhouses how is anyone suppose to challenge them at this point they took out an entire crew of fishmen look it was nothing

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel