Weekly One Piece: Chapter 644

Topic started by GodLen on Oct. 27, 2011. Last post by GIRUGAMESH 3 years, 1 month ago.
Post by GodLen (877 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Staff

Last chapter we were let in onto a very important secret, the reasoning behind Hody’s hatred for the humans. His reasoning is simple, Hody has no reason for hating the humans! We also got a sneak peak into Brook's new soul powers and ice sword. Let us see what else this wonderful war has in store.

THE GOOD

Usually in every major arc in One Piece there is one chapter that I like to call the emotional key stone chapter. A chapter that condenses all the emotion and summarizes it in one nice little package. This was the emotional key stone chapter for this arc. We learn more about Hody’s past here, going through important events in his life that have been tainted by the anger for the Humans. We see things through his eyes, and its easy to understand how a fishman like Hody can see the humans as the devil. His past is a mixture of events that mirror our real world, from our civil rights to modern day terrorism, Oda covers them all.

Most importantly, this is the chapter where the third-party character asks the Straw Hats to help them. More specifically, to help bring Fishman Island back to “zero”, to erase all the hate brewing under the sea. Which leads us to the prediction that Luffy will “destroy” Fishman Island, which is exactly what they want and what they need.

Luffy of course agrees and decides to end it all with one punch, and what a fantastic punch that was. He borrows a move from his late brother, and somehow adds fire into the mix. Will this be the end for Hody, or will he pop more pills and transform again?

THE BAD

I can’t say there was anything blaringly bad about this chapter.

THE VERDICT 4/5

Good chapter, even though it seemed like it was repeating a lot of information we already knew, it brought it to us in a different light which made it seem more interesting. I honestly do not know if Hody has been defeated, but even if he was Luffy still has to stop the ship, so I guess that can be the final bad guy in some sense.

Post by Petiew (244 posts) See mini bio Level 14
I thought it was a pretty decent chapter. Luffy naming his new attack after Ace's was also a nice touch.
Overall though, starting to lose interest in the series.
Post by buhssuht (223 posts) See mini bio Level 19

i swear this chapter was also teaser for what's to come. just give us some action dammit Oda

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,386 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Online Now

An awesome chapter (any chapter with Arlong is awesome) and also this is the sign that the Fishmen arc is almost over

Post by Dreamer (114 posts) See mini bio Level 9

preaty much this sums it up -

Post by Dreamer (114 posts) See mini bio Level 9

i also love how oda made this like in there real life, his prety much telling us bout how this world is acting and hate and that people are not doing nothing about this hate till they them self experience the hate then they do care, oda is saying do something before it actually happens

Post by FoxxFireArt (2,649 posts) See mini bio Level 25
I'm trying to figure out what the hell happened in this. Luffy used Armament Haki mixed with Gear Second, and somehow the punch triggered an explosion underwater. It's almost as if Luffy's pistol is now an incendiary round. You also need to consider how Luffy's power is also being NERFed by the ocean he's currently in.
Post by Lobos_Del_Rayo (2,905 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@FoxxFireArt: Funny I was thinking the same thing at the end of this chapter I saw his change his arm and rewind up and then the next page I was like wtf. What is with the explosion? What is with the name? What is going on?

Post by All_StarSupes (781 posts) See mini bio Level 10

It's the speed of Luffys punch in gear 2 combined with haki that makes the explosion. Hodi looks pretty dead to me.

Post by SpikeSpiegel88 (29 posts) See mini bio Level 11

@Petiew: Why?

Im personally really excited to see where it will go after this arc. Fishman Island has been in the cards for years, and it play allot on stories we have been teased with in the past ect. What stands before us is the new world which we know NOTHING about. I find that pretty damn cool.

I DO however wanna stop reading the manga, take a break from OP for as long as possible and then watch the whole arc in one go anime-form. From the day I started reading up on the manga the anime became even harder to watch weekly and my interest in OP whent a bit up and down. However, if I don't know the details of whats comming, AND have a bundle of episodes to watch in one go, It's All good.

Currently dl-ing everything from the splitting of the crew to the end of the war so I can watch it all unfold as a package. The weekly thig killed the pace those arcs deserve^^ Can't wait^^

Post by acarter (717 posts) See mini bio Level 10
i really dont know if u can lose interest in One Piece 
u may stop reading for a while and come back when its in the New World but u cant stop reading completely 
the new world arc is going 2 be amazing 
relocated marine hq & how that affects the balance of power, new fleet admiral, doflamingo's story & deals with world government, the fucked up islands, dr vagapunk??, coby's progress, smoker progress, blackbeard progress, shanks power, the vivre card lola gave 2 nami might actually be be big mams, kaidous power, all the other possible devil fruit powers, what is the exact nature of all blue, the will of D, the ponoglyhs & the true history, the world government secrets, that unknown country, the ancient weapons(i hope the strawhats get 1 lol), the showdown between zoro vs mihawk, gold d roger's actual power level (hopefully we see a flashback of him & Whitebeard) & WTF is One Piece!! 
soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many possibilities you can take a break from One Piece but there are still soo many things left 2 find out 
Post by GIRUGAMESH (2,237 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@acarter said:

i really dont know if u can lose interest in One Piece u may stop reading for a while and come back when its in the New World but u cant stop reading completely the new world arc is going 2 be amazing relocated marine hq & how that affects the balance of power, new fleet admiral, doflamingo's story & deals with world government, the fucked up islands, dr vagapunk??, coby's progress, smoker progress, blackbeard progress, shanks power, the vivre card lola gave 2 nami might actually be be big mams, kaidous power, all the other possible devil fruit powers, what is the exact nature of all blue, the will of D, the ponoglyhs & the true history, the world government secrets, that unknown country, the ancient weapons(i hope the strawhats get 1 lol), the showdown between zoro vs mihawk, gold d roger's actual power level (hopefully we see a flashback of him & Whitebeard) & WTF is One Piece!! soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many possibilities you can take a break from One Piece but there are still soo many things left 2 find out

Two words: fishmen arc.

There's only so much shit that people are willing to wade through to get to the goods...

@Petiew: Totally agree, used to be a major fan, then Onepiece started going downhill; maybe it's been looking so bad because Naruto has been so good in comparison recently :S

Hoping that Onepiece can pull out something good soon, otherwise it may go the same way as Bleach...

Post by acarter (717 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@GIRUGAMESH
I understand fishman arc is shit but so what
every manga has shitty stages where things go slow even the best *cough* One Piece 
but if u dont want 2 read no one is forcing you 
i carry on reading becuase the manga is still one big mystery 
naruto has the suspense thats the only reason i'm reading it because i want 2 know:
  • When Naruto becomes hokage & if it carries on after that
  • the battle between Naruto & Saskue
  • the guy behind the mask & his connection 2 madara
Nothing else thats really important 2 know other than that the rest is kind of predictable for Naruto
Bleach is shit until i see aizen agian
Post by GIRUGAMESH (2,237 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@acarter said:

@GIRUGAMESH:
I understand fishman arc is shit but so what
every manga has shitty stages where things go slow even the best *cough* One Piece
but if u dont want 2 read no one is forcing you
i carry on reading becuase the manga is still one big mystery
naruto has the suspense thats the only reason i'm reading it because i want 2 know:
  • When Naruto becomes hokage & if it carries on after that
  • the battle between Naruto & Saskue
  • the guy behind the mask & his connection 2 madara
Nothing else thats really important 2 know other than that the rest is kind of predictable for NarutoBleach is shit until i see aizen agian

Well actually there's a fair bit other than that for Naruto, but whatever. I guess I'm used to seeing the sort of stuff like the fishman arc in fillers, and it's more disappointing because it occurred so soon after the timeskip. I want to be proven wrong by the Onepiece writers, but it's just not up to much at the moment.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel