Weekly One Piece: Chapter 597

Topic started by GodLen on Aug. 26, 2010. Last post by wholesale 4 years ago.
Post by GodLen (877 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Staff
As many of you know already, One Piece chapter 597 marks a very important milestone in the One Piece franchise and manga history. We’ve learned about how all but two of the Straw Hat pirates will be training to become stronger, and now its finally time to see how the rest will fare. Let’s jump right in then.

The Good

Not only is this a great chapter story wise, but Oda also gives us plenty of information about the inner workings of One Piece as well. There is so much information to digest, lucky for you we will have plenty of time to comprehend is all. It has been a couple weeks since Luffy sent out his message, and now we finally have the opportunity to understand its true meaning. I have to hand it to Luffy, or Rayleigh, or who ever came up with it because his message was actually pretty clever. Luffy did a lot of stuff that day when he went to Marineford, but really the only thing that mattered was that he got his picture taken, because his message was actually just a tattoo! On his arm were the letters and numbers 3D2Y, with 3D being crossed out. Any Straw Hat pirate should be able to look at that and understand that their previous arrangement of meeting in three days has been canceled, and now it has been pushed back to two years. Enough time for each one to become monsters in their own right, to be ready for the harshness of the New World.

To no surprise Zoro decides that in order for him to become stronger, he will need the best to train him. Thusly he turns to Mihawk for tutelage, though gets a good laugh at the idea of training the man that will someday beat him; but he agrees to do it anyways. Luffy on the other hand will get his training from Rayleigh, and he will be trained on a brutal island known for its bad weather and enormously strong beasts. During this training Luffy will learn how to use Haki, which is a must have in the New World. I’m sure the other Straw Hats will learn how to use this power as well, in one way or another.

The Bad

I’m sure you also know the other news that came with this chapter, and that is One Piece will be taking a four week long vacation, a well deserved one at that. However, no One Piece for four weeks is really like no One piece for two years! It’s almost as if we are experiencing a time skip as well. Though Naruto did the same thing, so its livable. Also I wonder if the tattoo is permanent? I’m not sure if they have sharpies in the world of One Piece.

The Verdict 5/5 

Finally One Piece’s time skip is upon us, ready to blow our collective minds apart after the two years have passed. What can we expect after this time skip? Of course everyone is going to be stronger no doubt, that is a given, but what isn’t given is everyone’s appearance. One Piece characters change clothing more than any shonen series, so I’m sure we can expect new clothes. But will things like hair be different? Will Luffy sport a new beard? These things are up in the air, but I welcome Oda to experiment with this.

I can foresee Luffy meeting up with the crew one by one as we see how each member has changed, mirroring his first encounter with the crew members from earlier in the manga. I’m really excited to see how the characters will change, but hope that the concept and feeling of One Piece in whole doesn’t. Many times after a time skip the manga has a drastic change, let’s hope One Piece can overcome this.
Post by rubberluffy (589 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Haki training!  Mihawk training!  Tattoos!  Time skips!  I am very excited!

But I think the thing on my mind the most, as I'm sure is the same for many others, is how hot will Nami look after 2 years.
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,643 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Wow, this is early. We normally don't see One Piece until Sunday or early Monday. In my article, I purposely avoided talking about any really story events. I didn't want to step on your toes, Godlen. I just really wanted to share that story and my theory on what it could mean. Could One Piece the anime become "One Piece Shin Sekai" (New World).

I purposely filled out Haki profile for the release of this chapter.

Anyone remember wayyyyy back when in the original One Piece pilot. That ended with an older Luffy with a small Sanji-beard? Though, the fact that Sanji has one is almost sure Luffy wont.

Here is a funny fact that many might not realize. After a two year time skip, these will be the ages of some characters:
Luffy 17 -> 19
Zoro 19 -> 21
Nami 18 -> 20
Usopp 17 -> 19
Sanji 19 -> 21
Chopper 15 -> 17
Robin 28 -> 30
Franky 34 -> 36
Brook 88 -> 90
Boa Hancock 29 -> 31

Damn it, I still want to see Luffy's new bounty!! I've been waiting for that since Sabaody Archipelago.
Post by Nerx (13,843 posts) See mini bio Level 12
@FoxxFireArt: They new era of blackbeard and the world government would serve as great antagonists to the strawhats
Post by Kuma_From_Argentina (6,755 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I wont sleep for a month, I need OP now!!!!!!
Post by ninjadude853 (464 posts) See mini bio Level 12
i'm really excited not only because ALL the strawhats, and not just luffy sanji and zoro will be badasses, but also because two years will give time for the situations in the New World time to evolve, by the time they get there it'll practically be open war

and also, it gives everybody time to forget about the strawhats, so they'll be underestimated and have to rebuild they're reputation a little bit
Post by akatspada (47 posts) See mini bio Level 10
THis is very, very exciting! I'm going to miss OP for the next month though, but it's well deserved break.
Post by Kuma_From_Argentina (6,755 posts) See mini bio Level 13
The Anime will reach the manga in that time? 
If that happen they are going to stop the anime too for a while right?
Post by Kayak (469 posts) See mini bio Level 6
@Kuma_From_Argentina said:
" The Anime will reach the manga in that time? If that happen they are going to stop the anime too for a while right? "
No by time the new chapter comes out, the anime will still be at the start of the marineford war.
Post by Gasero (167 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Oh yes, in one month One Piece could be the baddest ass of the Shonen once again.

- I just hope that Luffy doesn't jock Ace's look and comes back looking like an original character.
- Zoro being trained by Mihawk? Who didn't see that coming?
- Sanji needs to be stronger as well. I don't care about his cooking, the Straw Hats need stronger fighters.
Post by JasonBog (29 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Man was I happy when I totally called on the previous Weekly One Piece that Zoro will ask Mihawk to train him...
Post by ichirei (11 posts) See mini bio Level 4
What I'm really excited about, is to see how not just the SH evolve, but how the world around them will change. I still don't think Akainu is going to quietly let Aokiji control the marines, at least not while Akainu is still around. Maybe Akainu will try to blackmail Aokiji, and when the world finally need a pirate hero again, the SH will step up and announce their return to the sea. That's just me fantasizing again, I have so many scenarios in my head lol
Post by Kayak (469 posts) See mini bio Level 6
@ichirei said:
" What I'm really excited about, is to see how not just the SH evolve, but how the world around them will change. I still don't think Akainu is going to quietly let Aokiji control the marines, at least not while Akainu is still around. Maybe Akainu will try to blackmail Aokiji, and when the world finally need a pirate hero again, the SH will step up and announce their return to the sea. That's just me fantasizing again, I have so many scenarios in my head lol "
Lol your not the only one. Personally I think it's gonna come down to Aokiji and Akainu, but I hope it's Aokiji. He's by far the best man for the job.
Post by obscurefan (216 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I loved how they set this up and I won't lie, I love time skips, I can't wait to see the new designs on everyone when they come back and see how the world changed.

Also....

@FoxxFireArt said:

Luffy 17 -> 19
Zoro 19 -> 21
Nami 18 -> 20
Usopp 17 -> 19
Sanji 19 -> 21
Chopper 15 -> 17
Robin 28 -> 30
Franky 34 -> 36
Brook 88 -> 90
Boa Hancock 29 -> 31
Boa is 29 and she's in love with a 17 year old? O_o Wow, that's... going to really change how I viewed their relationship, that's a bit odd for me ^^;;
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,643 posts) See mini bio Level 25
@obscurefan said:
" Boa is 29 and she's in love with a 17 year old? O_o Wow, that's... going to really change how I viewed their relationship, that's a bit odd for me ^^;; "
Yep, Boa Hancock is 29. She's older than Robin by a year. She's twelve years older than Luffy.

Technically, they don't have a relationship. She's just infatuated with him. Luffy has no idea what she's doing. He just said "Thank You" and she thought he said "I Love You". It's completely one sided.

You should see some of the scenes I've witnessed from that One Piece Strong World form some AMVs. I really wish FUNimation would announce something for that movie. I really want to buy that on Blu-ray. I'm trying to avoid the fansub version.
Post by obscurefan (216 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@FoxxFireArt: Hehe, that's true they don't have an actual relationship but I meant at first I was kind of routing for that relationship to form since I thought they had a fun dynamic going, now its a bit odd for me to do that, although its still fun seeing Boa swoon over him.

And yeah, I really want to see Strong World get picked up by funimation.
Post by Naruto79 (58 posts) See mini bio Level 3

This was a good time to stop the manga and gear up towards One Piece: "Part II", "The New World", or wha'eva they'll be referring to it as in the near future. Having mangas like One Piece, Naruto and Bleach take place over such a short period of time is never a good thing. In the end, you leave a lot on the table and you can never truly see personal growth of the characters. Something that has always been personally appealing to me when comparing manga/anime characters to American comic/cartoon characters. 

Post by secretzfan (238 posts) See mini bio Level 18
@FoxxFireArt: Hey Luffy will be a adult and so will Nami and the rest. They all won't be kids anymore
Post by hitsusatsu11 (10,747 posts) See mini bio Level 20
We have to actually experience the time skip with the hiatus, it reminds me of the situation with Haruhi's endless eight-the characters have to go through a time loop, so we have to see the same episode over and over lol.
Post by Solitaire (37 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Ace is my favorite character. I was REALLY pissed when he died, but, having finally accepeted that, this new development is a more than overdue power up. 

Since their first encounter with Aokiji I have been very curious as to when and how they would address the fact that if one admiral can take out their entire crew then how in holy hell could they even DREAM of Pirate Kingship. 

There have been numerous other examples. 

Mihawk besting Zoro with only this cross pendant.
Luffy and the rest of the crew being completely and utterly powerless against Smoker, only surviving the encounter due to Dragon's timely arrival.

And, of course, the best example of all, Kuma single-handedly dispatching each member of the crew, and achieving the insurmountable task of extinguishing Luffy's infinite optimism and self confidence.

I am most excited to see the character growth, both in strength and appearance. Oda's unique artwork is some of my very favorite.

And Finally I am extremely curious as to how Law and Kid will factor in to the stories ahead. Despite Law's relatively low bounty, ha and Kid have quite clearly been singled out as the most prominent of the supernovas.

Plus, Law is my second favorite character, and now that Ace is gone...well, I would really like to see more of him. Especially since the cruelty and dark personality we keep hearing about has yet to be seen. By all visual accounts he's a really nice guy.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel