WEEKLY MANGA

Topic started by katmic on Feb. 24, 2014. Last post by taichokage 6 months, 3 weeks ago.
Post by katmic (397 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Am looking for recommendations of weekly manga, minus Nanatsu no Taizai, Magi, Fairy tail

Post by bigz007 (1,091 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@katmic:

How come you're not reading HST?

Also, you should try Toriko, I recently got up to date with the anime and manga and I have to say I'm liking it so far.

Iron Knight is a good new manga, I think it should go weekly...

Post by katmic (397 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@bigz007: If you're talking about naruto one piece and bleach, i read bleach, only after every five chapters because each chapter feels kind of short. Naruto and one piece i follow the anime versions and I've become used to them in that format (though with all the fillers am considering making the leap to manga). With toriko i am not certain where to begin. I started by watching the anime a year ago, then lost interest sometime last December. SO am not exactly certain where to begin. I thought iron knight was monthly.

@katmic:

If your watching only One Piece anime, you're missing a lot. The studio is dragging things out big time, at some point they were adapting a half of a chapter per episode. You should try One Piece.

Iron Knight was supposed to be weakly but it looks as though it's switching to monthly. It's a shame.

Post by takashichea (12,341 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

@katmic:

I'm not much a manga person. I know your habits well, Katmic, after our interview, AV MOD MATERIAL: The Anime Fan's Experience in Africa. You read manga fresh out of Japan. For me personally, I can only recommend manga that has been licensed outside of Japan, Americas, Taiwan, etc.

Try Yamada and the Seven Witches.

I remember the mangaka of that manga series is Hiro Mashima's assistant. You do see some similarities in art style. It's about a delinquent who discovers he has powers by kissing people. His power is swapping with people's body after a fateful encounter with a smart, introverted young girl. I can't say anymore due to spoilers because his power is further explained and revealed to be something else.

Post by takashichea (12,341 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

@katmic:

I'll add and @bigz007: since you three are big Shonen fans like me. For Vapovile, he's looking for manga to participate in the Top 10 Manga of 2013 Voting Project

I added a Blood Lad manga spin-off series for Yen Press's Latest Manga Acquisitions 2014. I realize that I have forgotten about this manga series. Blood Lad is a Shonen series about a vampire otaku (Staz) who is bored with the demon world. He wants to explore the human world because he loves everything about Japan. One day, this human girl, Fuyumi, winds up at his place. He tries to befriend her and want to ask her about Japan. When a rival boss or monster attacks his home town, Staz is a boss of a district. Forgot to mention that.

Anyways, after Staz beats this guy, he comes back and finds the human girl eaten alive. She is now a ghost. It's up to Staz to restore Fuyumi.

That's pretty much it without spoilers.

I only watch the anime. It's a short 10 episode series.

Post by Vapovile (1,985 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@takashichea: Interesting concept, I might try and read this when I get the time to do so(doing a bunch of homework atm.) But for the manga project, I have sort of come up with a "buffet" method of finding new manga. See, at the mall where I live, there is a Comic Book Store which has a cabinet full of manga. What I plan on doing is getting the first issue of about 5 different series, and see if I like them or not. I have already looked a bit at Kore wa Zombie desu ka?, and next time I go there I plan on picking up Magi, and a bit more. But yeah, thanks for the recommendation Taka!

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,279 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Online Now

I'm enjoying World Trigger, Yamada and the Seven Witches, One Piece, The Seven Deadly Sins, All You Need is Kill and liking Stealth Symphony

Sorry for the limited choice, been busy and only have time to read those manga and other that come with it

@takashichea: I already have Blood Lad on my want to watch list, I heard it't quite good.

Post by taichokage (13,339 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Definitely try Toriko. The start isn't really slow or fast, then it gets a bit slower, then around the 60's it escalates. There's more bits of slow/steady pacing, but the last 2 years were on a whole different level. Also I don't know if it matters to you but the level of fights in Toriko are up there, stronger than the likes of the HST, Nanatsu no Taizai, Magi or Fairy Tail, all of which I now read. @bigz007: Blood Lad is definitely worth it. It's a quick watch and a short read after finishing the anime. That's my only problem. It's quite good and it has an established story, but I need more!
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel