Weekly Manga Releases: July 15, 2014

Topic started by takashichea on July 16, 2014. Last post by DBZ_universe 1 month, 4 weeks ago.
Post by takashichea (12,293 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

Welcome everyone to another week of manga releases! This week has a fairly huge amount. The manga titles that came up and surprise me was D-Frag! Having watched the series with and the gang in winter of 2014, I'm curious to see how the manga was like. Fairy Tail had a Blu-Ray release this week, and now, it has a manga release, too. Missions of Love is a manga series my sister is currently reading. I haven't read it, but it doesn't seem to be my type of manga to read. Having seen Knights of Sidonia, I wanted to see another Sci-Fi and horror manga series. Terra Formars looks like it fit that desire.

Please feel free to share your thoughts on what manga releases you're interested in this week. Thank you.

The Mission of Love, Lone Wolf Club, Fairy Tail, and What You Eat Yesterday manga covers come from Right Stuf while the rest come from Amazon.

Disclaimer: I'm just promoting the official release and the publishers. I'm not selling you anything. This is to combat piracy and get fans to support the official release. All summaries are from ANN.

Sources

Notes:

• Right Stuf has Terra Formars listed this week.
  • Comic Book stores don't have What You Eat Yesterday? Vol. 3.

Weekly Manga Releases

D-Frag! Volume 1
  • Distributor: Seven Seas Entertainment
  • Suggested retail price: $12.99
Kazama Kenji thinks he's a delinquent. He's got the look, the style, and the attitude to match; he even has a second-rate entourage of sorts. Deep down, however, Kazama is a good-hearted kid who finds himself and his loyal gang in over their heads when they stumble upon the Game Creation Club. The club's formidable members, Chitose, Sakura, Minami and Roka, are four girls who he might actually be attracted to if they weren't so freaking weird.

The girls claim to have otherworldly powers which they use to defeat Kazama's gang and force him to join their offbeat club. Can Kazama resist the girls' bizarre charms and return to some semblance of a normal, everyday life... or is it "game over" for our hapless hero?
Devils and Realist Volume 2
Devils and Realist is an all-new supernatural manga series that pits a young, suave nobleman against Hell’s princely demons.

William Twining has it all—a sharp intelligence, dashing good looks, and a noble station in life. There’s only one problem: he’s broke. With no way to finance his prestigious education, William decides to search through his uncle’s mansion for something of value to sell. But William’s logical worldview is about to take a hit, when he comes across a mystical seal which he unintentionally uses to summon a demon.

The demon’s name is Dantalion, a Grand Duke of Hell, who informs the young nobleman of his destiny—that he is the new “Elector” whose sole responsibility is to appoint the next ruler of Hell in place of Lucifer. Such news might drive a lesser man mad, but not William Twining. He’s a realist whose views don’t allow for the existence of demons, even when scores of demonic candidates begin to knock down his door and seek his favor. None of this can possibly be real—can it?—and besides, he’s got bills to pay.
Fairy Tail Volume 40
  • Distributor: Kodansha Comics
  • Suggested retail price: $10.99
Summary is not available.
Missions of Love Volume 8
  • Distributor: Kodansha Comics
  • Suggested retail price: $10.99
Shigure's plan to get close to Yukina by helping her overcome her weakness gets off to a good start, but runs into trouble when Yukina meets into an old acquaintance–the preschool teacher who traumatized her in the first place. Can Shigure keep Yukina's old wounds from reopening?
Monster: The Perfect Edition Volume 1
  • Distributor: Viz Media
  • Suggested retail price: $19.99
Johan is a cold and calculating killer with a mysterious past, and brilliant Dr. Kenzo Tenma is the only one who can stop him! Conspiracy and serial murder open the door to a compelling, intricately woven plot in this masterwork of suspense.

Everyone faces uncertainty at some point in their lives. Even a brilliant surgeon like Kenzo Tenma is no exception. But there’s no way he could have known that his decision to stop chasing professional success and instead concentrate on his oath to save peoples’ lives would result in the birth of an abomination. The questions of good and evil now take on a terrifyingly real dimension. Years later, in Germany during the tumultuous post-reunification period, middle-aged childless couples are being killed one after another. The serial killer’s identity is known. The reasons why he kills are not. Dr. Tenma sets out on a journey to find the killer’s twin sister, who may hold some clues to solving the enigma of the “Monster.”
What Did You Eat Yesterday Volume 3
  • Distributor: Vertical
  • Suggested retail price: $12.95

No summary available.

World War Blue Volume 6
World War Blue is an all-new fantasy manga series inspired by the “console wars,” the historic struggle for market share between manufacturers in the video game industry. In World War Blue, this conflict is represented by satirical versions of famous video game characters, who fight each other in a sprawling RPG-like world.

In the continent of Consume, an endless war rages between bitter rivals: the Segua Kingdom vs. the Ninteldo Empire. Upon his dinosaur steed, the stern Emperor Marcus has led the Ninteldo Empire to near-victory. Now, with the majority of Consume under its control, Ninteldo has Segua up against the ropes.

Enter a fleet-footed lad named Gear, who seeks vengeance against Ninteldo for his brother’s death. After joining Segua’s Army, Gear is enlisted in the Special Forces, due to his amazing speed. Yet the inexperienced, hasty youth may not be ready for the realities of war—or he might just become the Segua Empire’s last and greatest hope.
Terra Formars Vol. 1
  • Distributor: Viz Media
  • Suggested Retail Price: $12.99

In the late 26th century, overpopulation on Earth is reaching the breaking point, and humanity must find new frontiers. The terraforming of Mars has taken centuries, but is now complete. The colonization of Mars by humanity is an epoch-making event, but an unintended side effect of the terraforming process unleashes a horror no one could ever have imagined...

After humanity's first manned mission to the Red Planet was lost, a second expedition arrives. The explorers prepare to exterminate the cockroaches that were used to transform the Martian environment. They are shocked to discover that the insects have mutated into giant, aggressive humanoids with one overriding goal: exterminate the humans! But this crew of explorers has each undergone the "Bugs Procedure," terrifying experimental surgery designed to make them more than human...

• Distributor: Dark Horse Comics
  • Suggested retail price: $19.99
Separated from his son while battling Yagyu assassins,​ Itto Ogami’s mission of retribution heats to a boil as he cuts through any obstacle to find his missing child.​ But little Daigoro,​ though a mere toddler,​ is the son of the most formidable and resourcefull samurai in the land.​ Though alone in a cruel world,​ Daigoro has the heart of a warrior!

Collects two stories from volume 10 and volumes 11-12 in an omnibus format.​
Post by Marshal Victory (2,210 posts) See mini bio Level 13

So the year would be um 1991 an I had come across a book that looked interesting in of all places a book store. Heard of it an stood looking at the pages of Lone Wolf & Cub. Not even a minute has gone by when some one told me not to look at the books. To which I remarked books sight unseen will remain unread an unbought by me. Put down the book an never came back to that store again.

Oddly enuff I was dropping 50 to 100 on books every other week or so there to. Frequent buyer card etc. Heard new manager hated people like me in the store. They closed that year. Running off customers based off of how you think they should look oddly enuff bad for buisness. Oh it was 1991 looked up when enter sandman was released . Had just bought the cassette tape for the black album an was listing to that on the way back home.

But I digress will have to look into those omnibus formats for it. Thanks for the post about this an now off to amazon.

Online Now

@Marshal Victory:

It's hard to survive in this rough economic times for a bookstore. You have online competitors, Amazon being the biggest. Having an actual bookstore means paying rent, employees, buying supplies. When you have an online bookstore, you just pay for server (I think), taxes, and equipment.

The last time I visited a bookstore was Borders which I visited often until it closed down during my college years. (See Sotyfan16's Mass Manga Purchase Due to Closing Borders Stores)

I haven't read Lone Wolf Cub yet. Been meaning to read that series after seeing Samurai Jack's version so many years ago.

@takashichea: Well that was 1991 so back then was not much of a internet at all. Amazon was not born etc. Book store was in a collage town an the new manager did not like guys with long hair. Well at least that was what I was told. No store will live with out customers. An the manager wanted a type of customer. An wanted to sale only certain types of books to if i recall right.Their loss in the long run like I said they closed before the end of the year. Shame to the rest of the workers were just nice collage kids.

An the kicker is amazon has it an I can look at whats inside enuff to tell if I would enjoy it. The omnibus 1 is on my wish list now. http://www.amazon.com/dp/1616551348/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=SZWUVHE5NR6S&coliid=I9FC4X5K4RQ8T

But yeah these days would be fairly harsh to start a book store an it just be books. Digital seems to be the way to go for books for most these days any way.

Online Now

@Marshal Victory:

I was just sharing my experiences. I know it was back in 1991. It's a shame for that bookstore you visited.

@takashichea: Understood. Now 1991 in my area of the woods was not that great economic times. An that was not the 1st store that I knew off closing because some one wanted a certain client type. Knew of a comic book store that died the same way. Speaking of comic book stores one I used to frequent would not carry any of the manga or anime of any kind. Back then they said they could not afford the risk. Said mark up would push the items to high.

Which was maybe true for them at the time. But another store carried them but used a different comic book distributor. Yeah this was back in the day when it was more than just two big ones. Which leads to this World War Blue Volume 6 was their not a anime that failed based on this? Name is escaping me atm.

Online Now

@Marshal Victory:

World War Blue had a short anime series on it called Aoi Sekai no Chusin de which was on Crunchyroll. The episodes were aired every 3 months, I think.

I assume anime book stores die out faster than comic book stores. I'm not really in touch with the comic book industry.

@takashichea: Well here in ol Kentucky you could find anime an manga at comic stores but never seen it as its own store. Odds were greater back then of finding anime on vhs than manga on the book shelf tho. So many shops failed for so many reasons. Think their may be one comic book shop left in a 3 county radius of me now . An a quick search shows it may be gone now to :/

Yes that the series or slow dieing one. Animation was not good at times but it was kind of interesting for a parody of games. Almost every episode some one in the comments claimed the makers of the show were being sued by Sega or Nintendo. Its just not something I would be interested in book form me thinks. Think Lone Wolf & Cub probably the only picks for me out of that group of releases.

Post by DBZ_universe (15,724 posts) See mini bio Level 17

I have been reading new released Mangas. I should make a list later....and Light Novels too.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel