Weekly Manga Releases: February 18, 2014

Topic started by takashichea on Feb. 22, 2014. Last post by takashichea 5 months ago.
Post by takashichea (10,886 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

Welcome everyone!

We have a huge list of manga releases this week. I'm looking forward to these titles:

• Btooom! - If you like Hunger Games or Battle Royale, this manga is for you. It's set in Japan where Ryota gets kidnapped and forced to reenact his favorite video game. He has to kill enough people to get off the island.
  • World War Blue - It's a parody of the console wars: Sega vs Nintendo where the characters are based on famous video game characters. It's an ecchi manga.
  • Blood Lad - It's about a vampire otaku who tries to resurrect a girl he likes. She died in the demon world and became a ghost. The manga has lots of fan service.
  • Is this a Zombie? - Personally, I enjoy the anime more because the manga's art style is too young for me. The girls look way too young. Makes feel like a pedobear. Plus, the manga does things differently than the anime. There is more emphasis on Haruna than Seraphim fan service. In the anime, it's all about big boobs.

Stuff I haven't tried:

Please enjoy the releases we have this week. All comments are welcome.

Sources: All plot summaries and data are from ANN's Manga Releases page. Plus, I stole some English covers from PikaHyper, a great mod from Comic Vine. He probably knows I do.

Past Quick Pick Manga Threads

Blood Blockade Battlefront Vol. 5
  • Distributor: Dark Horse Comics
  • Suggested retail price: $12.99

An escaped Blood Breed brings Libra operative Zap Renfro's former master to New Jerusalem, and Zap must once again prove his skills to avoid being dragged back to the harsh training grounds of his school. Though Zap is a formidable fighter, he'll need the assistance of the other Libra agents and his own young apprentice to imprison the Blood Breed before it wreaks untold havoc upon our world!

Blood Lad Vol. 4
  • Distributor: Yen Press
  • Suggested retail price: $19.99

Unwilling to let anyone just waltz away with her little girl, Neyn sends Team Fearless, a crew of vampire slayers, after Staz and Fuyumi as they make their way to Demon World South. Team Fearless has never actually taken down a vampire, but they're looking to make good on their name and "save" Fuyumi. But for a hostage, the girl seems awfully eager to stay at the vampire's side... Has she fallen for the vampire's charms - or just for his blood?!

Bokurano: Ours Vol. 10
  • Distributor: Viz Media

One summer, fifteen kids innocently wander into a nearby seaside cave. There they meet a strange man who invites them to play an exciting new video game. This game, he explains, pits one lone giant robot against a horde of alien invaders. To play the game, all they have to do is sign a simple contract. The game stops being fun when the kids find out the true purpose of their pact.

Btooom! Vol. 5
  • Suggested retail price: $11.99

Unwilling to play by the rules of the twisted minds behind the live-action version of "BTOOOM!" in which he finds himself enmeshed, Ryouta Sakamoto vows with his comrades Himiko and Kiyoshi Taira to find a way off of the deserted island that doesn't involve murder. But when giant carnivorous lizards and stab-happy ex-soldiers count among the residents of this island hell, Sakamoto finds that getting a little blood on his hands is inevitable...

Cage of Eden Vol. 13
  • Distributor: Kodansha Comics
  • Suggested retail price: $10.99

Yarai's finally made it inside the mysterious lighthouse by the sea, but like everything on the island, it's more than it seems, full of locked doors. At the top of the tower, a desiccated corpse, crouched in a barrel with a key under its tongue, will give Yarai answers he never bargained for... Meanwhile, Akira and Mariya are still trying to discover the secret to the spire, when two well-dressed ruffians threaten to tear their group apart!

Gangsta Vol. 1
  • Distributor: Viz Media

In the city of Ergastulum, a shady ville filled with made men, petty thieves, whores on the make, and cops on the take, there are some deeds too dirty for even its jaded inhabitants to touch. Enter the "Handymen," Nic and Worick, who take care of the jobs no one else will handle. One day, a cop they know on the force requests their help in taking down a new gang muscling in on the territory of a top Mafia family. It seems like business (and mayhem) as usual, but the Handymen are about to find that this job is a lot more than they bargained for.

Is this a Zombie? Vol. 7
  • Suggested retail price: $13

A very zombie Christmas is right around the corner! But what's this? Haruna, Eu, and even Sera seem to be getting jealous over me...or is it just my dead-sharp imagination...? And let me tell you, I've been eagerly anticipating my chance to settle the score with that Chris! Say, who in the world is this tiny little girl? Huh? She's interested in me?

Judge Vol. 3

In the abandoned courthouse, to trust is folly. Is that the only rule, the only strategy to staying alive in the twisted game underway within? When the time for the Second Judgment arrives, a ruthless decision is made, to shocking effect. The sinners must accept reality . . . for idealistic notions have no place among these halls of cruel and swift justice . . .

No. 6 Vol. 5
  • Distributor: Kodansha Comics
  • Suggested retail price: $10.99

The rumors were true! Armored vehicles from No. 6 roar through the gate into West Block, massacring the helpless and arresting everyone else. Amid the chaos, Shion and Rat realize this could be their only chance to get into the Correctional Facility and save Safu. But when they do make it inside, what they find is worse than anyone could have imagined...

Pandora Hearts Vol. 20
  • Suggested retail price: $13

The pathetic farce that has unfolded in earnest is no more than an absurd yarn spun by the man who caused the Tragedy of Sablier by following his heart's desires. The players in his tale begin dancing with abandon, their emotions bottled up inside, as though they are marionettes manipulated by a master puppeteer . . .

Puella Magi Kazumi Magica - The Innocent Malice Volume 4
  • Suggested retail price: $11.99

From the very start, it was Kazumi who drew the girls of the Pleiades Saints together. But no magical girl, however beloved by her friends, is exempt from the fate that awaits them all. Fearing that the evil nut may be accelerating Kazumi's transformation, the girls are divided-can the process be delayed, or should they take out Kazumi while they still can?

Strike Witches: Maidens in the Sky Volume 1
  • Distributor: Seven Seas Entertainment

In 1939, an enigmatic alien force called the Neuroi launched a widescale invasion of Earth, destroying nation after nation. Humanity’s last hope at survival is to form an international elite fighting force of flying aces known as “Strike Witches!”

Strike Witches are young women with innate magical powers who are equipped with the latest in military technology: Striker Units, which provide the user with a unique array of weaponry that can only be controlled by magic.

Enter a young healer named Yoshika Miyafuji, the newest inductee into the 501st Joint Fighter Wing. Yoshika may be opposed to the military, but if she wants to survive, she better learn quick from veteran ace and strict displinarian, Mio Sakamoto, what it means to be a Strike Witch.

Thermae Romae Volume 3
  • Suggested retail price: $39.99

Though he has been trapped in the twenty-first century for several weeks, Lucius is still amazed at the wondrous innovations of the flat-faces people, and meeting Satsuki has given him an even greater understanding of the things he has seen - not to mention an undeniable flutter in his heart.

Despite his curiosity for this land, Lucius worries at the amount of time that has passed since he left Rome. The political atmosphere was already tense after the death of the emperor's heir, and Lucius fears what may befall Rome and the ailing Hadrian in his absence. Yet matters are no less precarious in the hot-springs town of Ito. With aggressive developers bullying the established inns, Lucius may be called upon to save the sacred appreciation for the bath both in the past and in the present!

World War Blue Volume 4
  • Distributor: Seven Seas Entertainment

In the continent of Consume, an endless war rages between bitter rivals: the Segua Kingdom vs. the Ninteldo Empire. Upon his dinosaur steed, the stern Emperor Marcus has led the Ninteldo Empire to near-victory. Now, with the majority of Consume under its control, Ninteldo has Segua up against the ropes.

Enter a fleet-footed lad named Gear, who seeks vengeance against Ninteldo for his brother’s death. After joining Segua’s Army, Gear is enlisted in the Special Forces, due to his amazing speed. Yet the inexperienced, hasty youth may not be ready for the realities of war—or he might just become the Segua Empire’s last and greatest hope.

Post by DocHaus (925 posts) See mini bio Level 18

Gangsta got published in the States? Great, guess I'll have to buy it.

Online Now

@DocHaus:

Thanks for commenting. I didn't get a chance to thank you for the Medaka Box. I found more folks who like Medaka Box.

Better write the OP. For me, it would be Blood Lad, Is this a Zombie, World War Blue, Btooom, and Madoka one.

Post by katmic (306 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@takashichea: Am curious about this post; by weekly manga releases do you volumes released each week or the weekly chapters.

I didn't know Btooom had a manga; am curious as to where the manga and anime split.

Online Now

@katmic:

The anime covered up to chapter 50. By weekly, I mean volumes, particularly North America.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel