Weekly Manga Releases: April 8, 2014

Topic started by takashichea on April 10, 2014. Last post by pikahyper 5 months, 1 week ago.
Post by takashichea (12,366 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

Welcome everyone! It's a large set of manga releases for this week. I'm looking forward Magi and Deadman Wonderland. Been a big fan of Magi since the anime had aired. I got into it when I saw Annabanana, my Fairy Tail teammate, working on it. I got curious, and my tastes in manga are similar to hers. Magi was spot on. For Deadman Wonderland, it's gorey, but I'm pretty desensitized to it. Knights of Sidonia has an anime series out this spring 2014. The cover has some grotesque thing on it. Not sure if I want to try the show.

All comments are welcome. I would love your two cents on these series. Thank you.

Sources: All plot summaries and data are from ANN's Manga Releases page. Thanks to PikaHyper for uploading the English covers. He's a cool wiki editor who contributes a ton in Comic Vine, but he also helped us Anime Vice folks back then.

Past Quick Pick Manga Threads

Alice in the Country of Clover: Nightmare Volume 1
  • Distributor: Seven Seas Entertainment
  • Suggested retail price: $13.99

Alice in the Country of Clover: Nightmare chronicles the further adventures of Alice as she goes deeper down the rabbit hole. Like the other New York Times bestselling books in the Alice in the Country of Clover series, this new volume is an oversized edition that features impressive artwork and color pinups. Nightmare Gottschalk, the personification of bad dreams in Wonderland, often appears to Alice when she sleeps. But now the sickly incubus, often seen coughing up blood, has come to Alice in person, and claims to love her. Alice must decide if the eccentric Nightmare, who sports an eyepatch and can read minds, is truly the man of her dreams.

Case Closed Volume 50
  • Distributor: Viz Media
  • Suggested retail price: $9.99

A reporter is found dead just before an interview with the Junior Detective League. Conan is determined to close the case…but with his teacher watching, he has to do it without letting on that he’s smarter than the average first grader! Then flash back to one of Jimmy’s first cases! When a death takes place at a ski resort, everyone believes a legendary ghost has struck again. But two middle schoolers think otherwise: young Jimmy Kudo and young Harley Hartwell! Which boy genius will solve the mystery first?

Dawn of the Arcana Volume 12

Princess Nakaba of Senan is forced to marry Prince Caesar of the enemy country Belquat, tantamount to becoming a hostage. While Caesar is pleasing to the eye, he is also selfish and possessive, telling Nakaba outright: “You are my property.” With only her attendant Loki at her side, Nakaba must find a way to cope with her hostile surroundings, her fake marriage...and a mysterious power!

Deadman Wonderland Volume 2

Falsely accused of murdering his classmates and sentenced to death in Deadman Wonderland, Ganta begins to learn more about life inside the prison walls. Upon hearing that the Red Man, the strange being that killed his friends, is in the G Ward, Ganta heads there seeking answers—and revenge. Instead he finds a mysterious man who calls him “Woodpecker.”

Itsuwaribito Volume 11

Utsuho’s truthfulness as a child resulted in an enormous catastrophe, and he decided to lie from that day forward. Raised in a village of orphans by a monk, Utsuho is an unrepentant troublemaker. The monk eventually inspires him to help people, but there’s no way Utsuho’s going to lead an honest life! Instead, he’s going to use his talents for mischief and deception for good! Still seeking the Kokonotsu treasures, Utsuho arrives in Sasaka, a country with a peculiarly troubled history that turns out to have involved one of his companions. Meanwhile, Kuroha seizes a moment to share some personal history, revealing what's really behind her rivalry with Utsuho to find the Kokonotsu!

Knights of Sidonia Volume 8
  • Distributor: Vertical
  • Suggested retail price: $12.95

Nagate Tanikaze has only known life in the vessel's bowels deep below the sparkling strata where humans have achieved photosynthesis and new genders. Not long after he emerges from the Underground, however, the youth is bequeathed a treasured legacy by the spaceship's coolheaded captain.

Magi: Labyrinth of Magic Volume 5

Deep within the desert lie the mysterious Dungeons, vast stores of riches there for the taking by anyone lucky enough to find them and brave enough to venture into the depths from where few have ever returned. Plucky young adventurer Aladdin means to find the Dungeons and their riches, but Aladdin may be just as mysterious as the treasures he seeks. Aladdin sets his plan to rescue Alibaba from Balbadd into motion. Things take an unexpected turn when another Magi, Judar, stands in Aladdin’s way.

Adult Manga (NSFW)

Please view at your own risk.

Crimson Spell Volume 3
  • Distributor: SuBLime
  • Suggested retail price: $12.99

Prince Vald continues his journey with the sorcerer Halvi, seeking a means to break the curse that causes him to transform into a demon at night. But enemies looking to take the power of Vald's cursed sword for themselves bewitch Halvi in an attempt to make him fight the young prince! Forced to the brink, Halvi makes a crucial choice.

6. False Memories
  • Distributor: SuBLime
  • Suggested retail price: $12.99

Although they were best friends in high school, Nakano and Tsuda haven't talked in ten years. Which may have a little something to do with the fact that not only were they more than best friends, but also that Tsuda broke Nakano's heart, leaving him to pick up the pieces. Now that they've been thrown back together thanks to a work project, Nakano is determined to put the past behind him, and both men decide to keep their relationship strictly professional. The question is, can they?

Dance in the Vampire Bund [Omnibus] (GN 5)
  • Distributor: Seven Seas Entertainment
  • Suggested retail price: $19.99
This omnibus edition contains the first three volumes of the hit manga series. After millennia in hiding, the ruler of all vampires wants change. Using the vast wealth of the Tepes line, she has gained the authority to create a "special district" off the coast of Japan that will become the future haven for vampires from all over the world.
Contains Vol 13-14
Post by pikahyper (19 posts) See mini bio Level 15

False Memories came out back in July.

Post by takashichea (12,366 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

@pikahyper:

Thanks for the correction. Don't know why I uploaded the first cover. I looked at Anime News Network, the 2nd volume supposed to come last week. I know you use Comixology. Right Stuf says August 12, 2014 while Amazon says November 11, 2014. It's a bit confusing.

Post by pikahyper (19 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Well I don't just use Comixology, I use a mix of them, Amazon and various publisher sites. Vol. 2 shouldn't be out any time soon, it isn't even on Sublime's schedule that covers June so it won't be out until at least July, Amazon is probably correct though seeing as how they don't even have a pre-release cover yet.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel