Weekly Bleach Discussion: Chapter 479

Topic started by GodLen on Jan. 14, 2012. Last post by GIRUGAMESH 2 years, 5 months ago.
Post by AgentJ (1,545 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@zaldar said:

@AgentJ: heh....action in a manga doesn't work for me. The anime is about the only way I can enjoy the action. For a manga I actually want story, which as we have both pointed out is not the strong point for bleach.

I am not much of a shonen fan though

Fair enough. I'd hope you give Air Gear (and maybe Eyeshield 21) a chance though. They are the exceptions to the Shonen story rule.

Post by sickVisionz (4,238 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@AgentJ said:

By the way, why are you bothering with the anime? The art is haphazard, and the pacing is sluggish. Switch to the manga.

Bleach manga is balls compared to the anime imo. You get the same cheesy story but none of the benefits like voice acting that makes almost everything better for almost every character (ESPECIALLY Aizen... his VA is godly) and animation that makes the fights better. Often waaaaaaaaaaaaay better.

@sickVisionz said:

@AgentJ said:

By the way, why are you bothering with the anime? The art is haphazard, and the pacing is sluggish. Switch to the manga.

Bleach manga is balls compared to the anime imo. You get the same cheesy story but none of the benefits like voice acting that makes almost everything better for almost every character (ESPECIALLY Aizen... his VA is godly) and animation that makes the fights better. Often waaaaaaaaaaaaay better.

Completely disagree. Every fight gets dragged out over multiple episodes (even if it lasted a chapter in the manga) the animation is frequently awful (though it often spikes to greatness; see Hisagi's fight vs every other fight around then) and the same punchlines get hit again and again. The voice acting is indeed a plus, but I'd just as soon listen to it while reading the manga over watch it. Kubo is a great artist, but his character designs are wasted by this:

Post by GIRUGAMESH (2,143 posts) See mini bio Level 9

@AgentJ said:

@sickVisionz said:

@AgentJ said:

Completely disagree. Every fight gets dragged out over multiple episodes (even if it lasted a chapter in the manga) the animation is frequently awful (though it often spikes to greatness; see Hisagi's fight vs every other fight around then) and the same punchlines get hit again and again. The voice acting is indeed a plus, but I'd just as soon listen to it while reading the manga over watch it. Kubo is a great artist, but his character designs are wasted by this:

LOL it's so true XD

@AgentJ: @GIRUGAMESH:

The previous one especially around the 5 minute mark

I just don't see how making these black and white still shots, and taking out all of the audio will be better. Every Bleach anime fight isn't awesome but they have the potential to be and some of them actually are. The manga at it's best will never be more than a really crappy version of what the anime can do.

@sickVisionz: Like I said, the anime certainly has its moments, but for every beautiful fight like those, you get five that are a couple of four-frame sword clashes followed by five minutes of South Park-esque mouth flapping. The manga may take a little bit more imagination, I admit, but I vastly prefer that over an episode that has a seven minute recap of the previous episode (THIS HAS HAPPENED) followed by ten minutes of something akin to Susan Sarandon's "HELP THESE POOR CREATURES" commercials in how pathetic the animation is, rounded up by a two-minute ending and a minute preview of the next episode. You and I both know the majority of episodes are closer to that than to Ichigo vs Byakuya.

(BTW I mentioned the Hisagi fight you video'ed earlier. As far as canonical Bleach goes, that was the only fight in that time period animated with any sort of ability)

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,184 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@sickVisionz:

Agree, also the music and it fillers help to (heck, I like the anime fillers better then the source stuff)

Post by Halberdierv2 (1,288 posts) See mini bio Level 17

@AgentJ: I watch and read both the manga and anime and prefer the anime by far, since it is a lot more fleshed out than the manga has it, and the art is quite fine.

@Halberdierv2 said:

@AgentJ: I watch and read both the manga and anime and prefer the anime by far, since it is a lot more fleshed out than the manga has it, and the art is quite fine.

Fair enough. I just stopped watching after the Muramasa arc because I was just so tired of the pacing and mouth-flapping. I tried to start watching again at the beginning of December but just couldn't stick with it.

Post by secretzfan (238 posts) See mini bio Level 18

@zaldar: In reality anime shounen and shojo all do have good story I recognized this since I was like 5 and was in love by this, but sometimes it is also about the characters in Bleach. I mean chartacters like

Ginjou was realistic: After all no stranger says "I am going to help you out" and doesn't have some alternate motive.

Tsuki and Riruka were too

Fullbringer gave me a bit more story back to the series Bleach which had been a bit lost for while through arrnacar arc. Even so anime like DBZ and YYH both have good story and that is what is all about the thing is if you look at YYH not only does it have a good story it have great action scenes. So sometimes it is about balancing that. Bleach doesn't do this well.

Bleach is like

Action- Main proirity get some action in for the shingami

Story- A good story but don't always let it over take action for the shingami

Chartcers- make them good, but we can drop them sometimes from the story. Look at Kensei,and Kon

I love reading and watching Bleach it is entertaining, but yea it is the shingami who dull up the story at times I mean really there cool in battle, but there interaction and stuff is being put over the story which is making them boring.

@sickVisionz: I never said that the manga was better; I've always preferred the anime over the manga in the case of every series, even with the occasional blip. I was only agreeing before that the anime is responsible for some major hiccups (the one posted, and let's not forget the first half of Naruto Shippuden 167).

The anime brings with it a sense of art in many cases, as seen in those above; the fluidity of the movements and the sheer energy in it all capture something that the manga never could. Not to mention that it's thanks to the anime that we get all the soundtracks and scores (again, many of which are beautiful). Certainly for action-based anime (basically all of shonen) I would say that the anime is far superior.

By the way, I have to ask, which episode was that for your second clip? That has got to be the best filler fight I have ever seen.

@AgentJ: There's a lot of truth in what you've said, but I guess it comes down to what you're willing to got through to get to that beauty. I'd happily watch several episodes of trash to get 10 minutes of awesome; I guess that's why I'm still watching Naruto.

@GIRUGAMESH said:

By the way, I have to ask, which episode was that for your second clip? That has got to be the best filler fight I have ever seen.

5 minutes out is 341. Before that is 334.

@sickVisionz: Cheers, off to watch that.

Post by zaldar (1,237 posts) See mini bio Level 15

@secretzfan: I have to disagree but that is ok. Eva, lain, ghost in the shell all had better story and more interesting characters. Last exile would still be a series that I think is better but to each their own.

LOL @ some of the Bleach fans saying that Bleach was going to go on for another 5 years, check out the latest chapter. Looks like everything's all set for the return of Aizen and the last arc of the series.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel