Weekly Bleach: Chapter 489

Topic started by GodLen on April 21, 2012. Last post by Daniel_Newton 2 years, 7 months ago.
Post by GodLen (877 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Staff

The Vandenreich are causing nothing but trouble for both the hollows and the shinigami. The sly Opie have removed the three beastly women from the battlefield, without much struggle at all. Now he stands toe to toe against Ichigo. Will this be a one sided battle as well?

THE GOOD

This chapter was all about informing the reader more about this war, and the people who are fighting in it. It looks like Kira has been doing some investigating, wondering about why people are disappearing from the poorer lands of Soul Society. After much speculation, he makes a very good assumption, that the disappearance is due to the shinigami--Mayuri to be more specific. When questioned by the Commander, Mayuri agrees to this crime, telling him that he indeed kill off these people in order to balance out the death of the hollows. Is this real murder if they are already dead to begin with? Is it ok to kill these people if it means that the afterlife balance is kept intact?

I don’t have an answer to these questions, but we do know who is to blame for this mess. The Commander, because he in fact did not listen to Mayuri’s warnings about the Quincy, and did not kill the emperor Quincy guy when he had a chance 1000 years ago. So while Ichigo and Opie fight, the Leader decides that this is the right time to invade Soul Society, cause we all know that without Ichigo, Soul Society has nothing! So the good news is that this arc will not stay in Hueco Mundo!

THE BAD

I hope Mayuri does not become a villain again this time. Yes he might commit war crimes in his free time, but I like it better when he is fighting for the good guys!

THE VERDICT 3/5

No need to wait for the ten days until the war, we can now get it early! Kubo is definitely pushing this arc forward at a faster speed than normal, and I am happy he is doing so. I was sad to see Ichigo’s fight be passed off until next chapter, but at the same time we got some interesting information so I can’t be too angry.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,386 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Soul Society is one of the worst organization I have ever saw in anime/manga, that all I going to say about that

I saw the Yamamoto thing a mile away, it wasn't surprising at all

Sigh, this chapter was so boring

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,302 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now

Mayuri has BALLS talking to Yamamoto like that. I don't think he's ever really cowered before anyone though, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

On a general Bleach note, I really wanted to hear Isshin's back story in the last arc and was disappointed Kubo didn't give us anything. We literally don't know anything more than when he was introduced as a shinigami and appeared to have a captain haori wrapped around his arm, unless I missed something.

Also, I can't remember if it was this chapter or the last, but why did Ichigo ask the shinigami kid to get in his gigai so he could eat some bread? Since when do shinigami need to be in their gigai to eat? I know I've seen them eating in Soul Society before. Weird.

Post by taichokage (15,306 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now
Because they are spirits. Normal human sustenance most likely does nothing for a shinigami. Remember that everything in Soul Society and Hueco Mundo is made of reishi not normal matter. I would assume that includes food. As for the chapter, I was a bit surprised. One because of Mayuri's response to Yamamoto, but two. because Mayuri just committed mass murder and it was acceptable to Yamamoto! I know the reasoning is different, but that makes Aizen's crimes look petty. I wonder what will happen if Ichigo learns about this. I'm certain he will not take kindly to them and might break ties with the Gotei 13 completely. But apparently this is an off the record decision that bends the laws because Kira seemed not to know despite being highly ranked. But I suspected that the Vandenreich leader was associated with Yamamoto in the past. Very interesting chapter, but what I'd like to see is Ichigo in some action and not be challenged by every guy that looks suspicious. I would imagine that most captain tier opponents would be no challenge for him now.
Post by Kuro_San (1,352 posts) See mini bio Level 11

Old man genocyde attacks again

Post by Halberdierv2 (1,300 posts) See mini bio Level 17

man, Gotei 13 really needs an ethics committee. that genocide made me lose quite a bit of respect there...

Online Now

@taichokage said:

Because they are spirits. Normal human sustenance most likely does nothing for a shinigami. Remember that everything in Soul Society and Hueco Mundo is made of reishi not normal matter. I would assume that includes food.

Yeah, I guess.

@taichokage said:

I was a bit surprised. One because of Mayuri's response to Yamamoto, but two. because Mayuri just committed mass murder and it was acceptable to Yamamoto!

@Kuro_San said:

Old man genocyde attacks again

@Halberdierv2 said:

man, Gotei 13 really needs an ethics committee. that genocide made me lose quite a bit of respect there...

I dunno, I mean Mayuri very clearly went behind Yamamoto's back to kill all those people. I doubt he would have given him permission to do it in the first place (or what would be the point of doing it secretly?). Right now I think he just has more important things to worry about.

Post by zaldar (1,298 posts) See mini bio Level 15

@Halberdierv2: along with much of Japan yes but I expect that might be part of the point here. I do like the increased speed on this new arc (which I had to go read since it seems like it is never going to be animated) but not sure what to make of the characters yet. Ichigo should definitely be able to end this fight pretty quickly now though, I mean I almost think he should be more powerful than the head of the Golgo 13....(wouldn't that be a great fight...Ichigo taking on him...)

Online Now

@zaldar: I'm having a hard time figuring out how strong Ichigo is now. He seemed insanely strong when he first got his powers back, and I guess he was pretty much toying with Ginjo, but I want to know how he compares to when he was fighting Aizen. Aizen at that point was leagues above Yamamoto and Ichigo was leagues above Aizen... it was kind of ridiculous.

Ichigo didn't use his hollow mask back when he fought Aizen and hasn't since he got his powers back either, which should make him even stronger... I just don't know anymore.

Post by zaldar (1,298 posts) See mini bio Level 15

@Daniel_Newton: agreed but this is shonen so incredible leaps in power that defy logic are pretty par for the course. The only logical way I can see for this to end is for ichigo to take over the squads but I suppose that won't be how it happens.

Post by DrifterInGreen (27 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@Destinyheroknight said:

Soul Society is one of the worst organization I have ever saw in anime/manga

I find this comment ironic due to your avatar being a Shichibukai member.

@taichokage: @Daniel_Newton: @Halberdierv2:

You guys seem to be forgetting a lot of things

Mayuri is the only known (ex)prisoner of the Maggot’s Nest a prison specifically for people who pose a threat to the Soul Society.

Mayuri was the one who conducted the experiments on the Quincy and was surprised when he found out that he wasn’t responsible for killing the last one (he thought Uryu’s grandfather was the last one when he killed him and was surprised when he met Uryu).

The Soul Society had to kill the souls in order to restore balance if they didn’t it would threaten the balance between the worlds and could potentially destroy them. The Quincy were deemed a threat specifically because of their tactics causing this imbalance.

The 28,000 came from the slums where the living conditions are so poor they wear rags and don’t even have shoes, not to mention some (if not many) are killing each other and/or starving anyway.

Mayrui killed a large amount of the Soul Society’s equivalent to homeless people (or worse considering the highest numbers are considered animals/monsters) without telling Yamamoto despite Yamamoto explicitly telling him after the fact that it was necessary to keep the worlds safe. Mayuri was the first one in any seat of power to realize the problem and the source and did "it" without telling Yamamoto because not only does he not like Yamamoto, he knew he would get into a confrontation with him. By doing it behind Yamamoto’s back he delayed confronting Yamamoto and personally saw to fixing the problem the Quincy (who he also hates) created as soon as possible. And as it says in this chapter when Mayuri met Uryu the Soul Society knew Quincy could still be around and Mayuri knew and told Yamamoto this would/could happen.

Post by Lobos_Del_Rayo (2,905 posts) See mini bio Level 12

I'm sticking to my opinion that Uryu is going to turn on Ichigo and they will fight.

Also did anyone catch that Opie's "bow" is a sword he draws it at the end it has the Quincy symbol on it and two bow like extension come out the sides. Apparently a Quincy's weapon is not limited to just a bow so I'm hoping we will finally see a gun using character again. Starrk was my favorite because he was the first character to officially use a gun in the series.

Online Now

@Lobos_Del_Rayo said:

I'm sticking to my opinion that Uryu is going to turn on Ichigo and they will fight.

I was about to say that wouldn't be much of a fight, but knowing Ichigo he wouldn't really want to hurt Uryu, whereas Uryu would probably go all out.

I dunno though, I think we're more likely to see Uryu go up against another powerful Quincy, which could be pretty cool to see.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel