Weekly Bleach: Chapter 480

Topic started by GodLen on Feb. 11, 2012. Last post by zaldar 2 years, 6 months ago.
Post by GodLen (877 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Staff

Bleach, remember that? It was that manga that didn’t have the pirates or the ninjas in it. It’s the one with the people with the big swords. No, not Berserk. The one where they fight those monsters with the holes in them, and the one with a trillion characters. Good, now that you remembered it, say your good byes now, for it shall be ending soon. Welcome to the final arc boys and girls.

THE GOOD

I can’t believe it, Bleach’s ending is in sight. Yes, we all thought the manga was going to end when Aizen was defeated, but now that we know it will end I’m getting a little teary eyed. Life without Bleach will be hard, but I’ll survive. Anyways this chapter starts off with a bang, that Soul Society is in deep trouble because Hollows are being destroyed left and right, which weakens the barrier between Soul Society and the material world. We all know that the Quincy’s are the only ones who can do that, so are they at fault, or is it a different group we are unaware of?

Of course we won’t know the answer to that question for another ten or so chapters, so until then we are introduced to two new shinigami who will be watching over our troubled town. If this town is so dangerous, why don’t they ever assign a good Shinigami to watch over it? Anyways, these two are nothing but jokes, and get easily smashed once they arrive on Earth by a group of nasty looking hollows. I can freely admit that it felt pretty good when those two were mercilessly slaughtered by those hollows, and then I remembered that a person like Inoue could come and heal them up. Shonen Jump would never allow them to die like that; oh well.

Anyways we all know the end of this story. Ichigo comes and saves them, as a person in the shadows watches and twirls his mustache; pretty standard stuff. Let us hope that this becomes a little less standard as the arc progresses.

THE BAD

Other than this problem with the Hollows dying coming out of nowhere, and the most likely recuperation of these two new shinigami, I guess it wasn’t so bad.

THE VERDICT 3/5

My prediction will be that because of this weakening of the barriers, the two planes of existence will merge and everything will go to hell. Soul Society will have to put everything they have into survival and perhaps even Aizen will come into play once again. I’m expecting an epic battle, seeing as Naruto has a great war I’m sure Kubo would like to do the same.

Post by Username_Undefined (89 posts) See mini bio Level 12

It's weird to me that this was announced as the last arc, because I vaguely remember hearing that he said he had another 10 years of material/ideas or something like that. Unless he means that everything up until now was the "Aizen" arc kind of like the East Blue/Grand Line/New World "arcs"? That or editors are behind this. Also, did anyone else get a distinct impression that some of those hollows should have been in Soul Eater instead of Bleach, or is that just me? Especially the first one we see.

Post by Halberdierv2 (1,290 posts) See mini bio Level 17

@Emeryl: well, let's hope this last arc is 9 years long(since that 10 year article was last year), and good. to announce the last arc right after a timeskip (which for other anime ussally signals the halfway point) is a bit rash, and strikes me as a bit of executive meddling.

Post by AgentJ (1,545 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@Halberdierv2 said:

@Emeryl: well, let's hope this last arc is 9 years long(since that 10 year article was last year), and good. to announce the last arc right after a timeskip (which for other anime ussally signals the halfway point) is a bit rash, and strikes me as a bit of executive meddling.

And at the end of that ten years, he'll rename the manga to "BLEACH: NIRVANA" with a ten-year time skip and continue on for another 30 years! :P

Post by sickVisionz (4,255 posts) See mini bio Level 24

They started this arc/chapter off pretty good. Shits going haywire in Soul Society and I was interested... then it switched to comedy, a genre Kubo has never been good at, and everything went downhill imo. At least Ichigo showed up quick and finished the fight though.

Meh overall to me, but I'm glad that things already seem to be in place. I hated how the Fullbring Arc started off as like a month of lame comedy chapters before things started moving. The first frame of this one already has the problem setup and established so hopefully things won't drag on in comedic hell for long.

Post by Vaiz (9 posts) See mini bio Level 3

I was happy as soon as I saw hollows were back in the picture. We haven't really had to deal with regular hollows since the Hueco Mundo arc, so it's cool to see them back in the fray. I dunno, it just makes it feel more like some good ol' fashion bleach, as opposed to Ichigo and pals fight superhuman baddies of the week like the X-cution arc was. Speaking of, I hope that arc has some significance later down the line. It seems like it just kind of came and went without any greater consequence. If it were the anime, I'd say "Eh, filler.", but filler in a Manga is pretty weak sauce.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,228 posts) See mini bio Level 21

The chapter was meh

I feel like a zombie when I read Bleach now, maybe I should just watch it anime only

Post by Sogeman (22 posts) See mini bio Level 6

@Destinyheroknight said:

The chapter was meh

I feel like a zombie when I read Bleach now, maybe I should just watch it anime only

me too but I dropped the anime over the fillers. It's not worth the 20 minutes.

Post by chickdigger802 (39 posts) See mini bio Level 8

@Sogeman said:

@Destinyheroknight said:

The chapter was meh

me too but I dropped the anime over the fillers. It's not worth the 20 minutes.

meh. Fillers are decent mainly because kubo didn't write them.

Post by zaldar (1,247 posts) See mini bio Level 15

so wait were they not destroying hollows throughout this entire series...wasn't that the point of the shnigami to destroy the hollows protecting living spirits from being eaten?

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel