Viz's Shonen Jump Vs Crunchyroll's Simulpub

Topic started by Destinyheroknight on Feb. 17, 2014. Last post by Destinyheroknight 6 months, 2 weeks ago.
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,289 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Hello, everyone! And welcome to another blog by DHK. Today, I'll be talking about two of the Simulcast Manga sites, Viz's Shonen Jump and Crunchyroll's Simulpub. This isn't a verses match, it more of a review (not really a big one) of them. I feel both sites do a good with the Manga they are translating. Also, I doing a Shonen Jump's giveaway. I'll be giveaway a year of Shonen Jump, the details will be at the end of the review. Here we go

Shonen Jump

My Prayers Have Been Answers
My Prayers Have Been Answers

Shonen Jump is a digital magazine of the one in Japan, it doesn't have all the series that run in Shonen Jump. But it does have One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, World Trigger, Nisekoi and Toriko. But Viz isn't limit to just Shonen Jump's title, they can get other Jump's titles like One-Punch Man, Blue Exorcist, All You Need is Kill and Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal. Giving our Shonen Jump a little more range, then the one in Japan

The Price

The magazine is pretty cheap, it only cost you $0.99 for an issue that you keep on your Viz account. For 12-Month, will cost you $25.99 (a steal). Those are great prices for ten to thirteen chapters a week for a year and some free Yugioh cards (meh). The downside to it, you won't be able to get any of the back issues if you didn't start from the beginning. Also, it only available in Canada, US, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. But, here hoping they will go global in the future

The Quality

Great Quality
Great Quality

The magazine have good quality, there no watermarks, advertising or anything that mess up the art on the page. The two page spreads are done nicely, but sometime they not perfectly a line (But Viz do go back and fix it). The translation is pretty great, I haven't seen any hiccup with it. But the downside (if you really call it) they still use the English names like Zolo and Soul Reaper. But, I kind of gone over it, and it doesn't bug me anymore.

The Manga

Most People Miss This Part
Most People Miss This Part

At the moment Viz have twelve Manga running in Shonen Jump, they are One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, World Trigger, Toriko, Nisekoi, Blue Exorcist, One-Punch Man, All You Need is Kill, Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign, Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal and the new Manga called Stealth Symphony. A big line up, some old and some new. Some of the Manga run on bi-weekly (like Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign and One-Punch Man) and others run monthly (like Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal and Blue Exorcist). The downside, some of the Manga are in the middle of an arc and hard to jump on if you not familiar with the Manga

The Extras

Viz sometime put extras things in the magazine, like color chapters of One Piece and Naruto or a One-Shot by Masashi Kishimoto. They also do interviews with the Mangaka and have an Author Comments at the end of the magazine. They also did a year of Dragon Ball in color, I have nothing really bad to say about the extras

Simulpub

Simulpub is a little different from Shonen Jump, it not a digital magazine. It work kind of like their anime stream, you don't have to paid to read a chapter. Their range of Manga is greater then Shonen Jump, they have series like Space Brothers, Attack on Titan, Fairy Tail, The Seven Deadly Sins and Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches

The Price

Both Racer and Cobra Are Surprise At The Low Prices
Both Racer and Cobra Are Surprise At The Low Prices

It's free! For the current chapter, to read the past chapters you have to have an All-Access Membership or Manga Membership. Which will cost you around 4.95 a month and 39.95 a year (or you can get a guest pass from your friend). The downside, you have to have an All-Access Membership to have both Anime and Manga. You can't have them both without the J-Drama (which I'm not a fan of). Simulpub almost global, I think it missing some counties

The Quality

Need To Be A Little Closer
Need To Be A Little Closer

I haven't gone through all of the Mangas yet, but what I saw it was pretty good quality with little hiccups in them. The downside, a lot of the two page spreads are not line up correctly (and they haven't fix them yet). And some chapters don't have the color page in color. It really noticeable, I hope they will fix it. The other problem I have is the they also have the English sound effect as big as the the Japanese one. That really bug, I like when the English sound effect is small, being big kind of take away the scene. Last but not lease, is the little boxes on the sides that tell you about the characters, it just bug me

The Manga

More Like It
More Like It

At the moment, Simulpub have Twenty Seven (somewhat up to date) Mangas to read online. The titles are Attack on Titan, Fairy Tail, The Seven Deadly Sins, Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches, Mysterious Girlfriend X, Space Brothers, Coppelion, A Town Where You Live, As the Gods Will - The Second Series, Fort of Apocalypse, My Wife is Wagatsuma-san, UQ Holder!, Sun-Ken Rock, Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru, Silver Nina, Inside Mari, Love Theory, Orange, Star Light Woman, Is this Girl for Real!?, Okitenemuru, King's Game: Origin, ReCollection, Action Mask, Arpeggio of Blue Steel, Spirit Circle and Shindo. The good having so making Manga, is that you have a wide selection. But the downside is that most of them are still running and Simulpub is taking it time translating the past chapters

Simulpub don't have any extras

My final thoughts, are they both are pretty good with some downsides (that I hope they will fix). I hope in the future their be more official Simulcast of Manga, I would love to have Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Magi, Vinland Saga and Silver Spoon. Thanks for reading and remember to support the Anime/Manga industry

Ok, time for the SJ giveaway. You have to comment on my blog about the the topic and I'll write all your names down (once) and go to a randomizer site to see the win. This giveaway will end in the end of the month

Here are the rules:

1. No double accounts
  2. You have to comment on my blog (about the blog)
  3. Have to live in Canada, US, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa
  4. Need a Viz account

Sorry if their was any typo.

Also here some awesome blogs to check out

katmic - Coppelion: Aesthetically Beautiful &..Nothing More

Dream - Adult Swim: Ani-Crap Review - Reign the Conqueror

takashichea - Trying out New Anime Recommendations

Post by takashichea (12,428 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

Pinned this thread, so more folks can see it.

Online Now

I'll unpin this. It's okay, DestinyHeroKnight. You should give these manga to your siblings, cousins, nieces/nephews, or the public library. When I was moving out to live with a roommate, I gave most of my stuff to my little sister.

@takashichea:

Sorry for the late reply. It ok, I wanted to do something nice for the AV community. I maybe should have advertise more. Well, their always next time :)

I was giving away digital magazine subscription, I will never give away my precious LOL!

Online Now

How do you give away digital magazine subscription for this service? Is it like how Crunchyroll users give away 48 hour gift passes?

@takashichea:

I just send it to the person VIZ account as a gift

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel