Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2011 (First Half)

Topic started by Dreamer on June 11, 2011. Last post by Hirako_Fan 3 years, 3 months ago.
Post by Dreamer (114 posts) See mini bio Level 9

The following chart covers sales from November 22, 2010 to May 22, 2011:

RankTitleAuthorTotal CopiesPublisherCover
1One PieceEiichiro Oda23,366,030Shueisha
2GantzHiroya Oku3,110,842Shueisha
3NarutoMasashi Kishimoto3,035,593Shueisha
4Shingeki no KyojinHajime Isayama2,613,851Kodansha
5Fairy TailHiro Mashima2,501,768 Kodansha
6Bakuman.Story: Tsugumi Ohba 
Art: Takeshi Obata
2,471,448Shueisha
7Kimi ni TodokeKaruho Shiina2,421,162Shueisha
8GintamaHideaki Sorachi2,332,551Shueisha
9BleachTite Kubo1,980,234Shueisha
10Toriko #12Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro1,836,000Shueisha

Source: Oricon

Post by Fire Star (3,730 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Moderator
@Dreamer: Very interesting stats, glad you shared them.
Post by MohsinMan99 (1,777 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Woah, look at that!
OP is leaps and bound ahead of everyone and didn't certainly expect such results from Naruto and Bleach!
Glad to see the results for Gintama and Bakuman though...
Post by Fire Star (3,730 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Moderator
@MohsinMan99: Agreed. Total copies is one of the most interesting parts, easy to compare and such.
Post by AgentJ (1,545 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Really interesting to see how popular Gintama has become.  They've stopped translating it here, right? 
 
I'll never understand the appeal of Toriko though. Blegh. 
Post by MohsinMan99 (1,777 posts) See mini bio Level 21
@AgentJ said:
Really interesting to see how popular Gintama has become.  They've stopped translating it here, right?  I'll never understand the appeal of Toriko though. Blegh. 
Second that.
What's good about all that food when it's totally something you can't make and something you can't eat?
Post by AgentJ (1,545 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@MohsinMan99 said:
@AgentJ said:
Really interesting to see how popular Gintama has become.  They've stopped translating it here, right?  I'll never understand the appeal of Toriko though. Blegh. 
Second that. What's good about all that food when it's totally something you can't make and something you can't eat?
Lol, that is exactly right :P
Post by MohsinMan99 (1,777 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Oh, on the topic of popularity polls or sales polls like this, Gintama has a really NICE!!! arc from episodes 182-184 on this. Just watched it an hour ago and IMO one of the best arcs ever and quite possible some of the highest level fourth wall breaking that one can see in entire fiction...
Post by The_Desert_Tiger (1,243 posts) See mini bio Level 13

 
I saw this article on ANN and it's friggin staggering how much sales One Piece got especially compared to the other series on the list. And i am pretty happy that Toriko broke the top 10.

Post by Dreamer (114 posts) See mini bio Level 9
And Outside sells of Japan just make about 20%-30% of manga sells  so One Piece will still stay in top lol 
Post by Haofan123 (3,675 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@AgentJ said:

  I'll never understand the appeal of Toriko though. Blegh. 

Its actually really good. Id highly recommend it to anyone who loves food, comedy, and A LOT of great action
Post by MohsinMan99 (1,777 posts) See mini bio Level 21
@Haofan123 said:
@AgentJ said:

  I'll never understand the appeal of Toriko though. Blegh. 

Its actually really good. Id highly recommend it to anyone who loves food, comedy, and A LOT of great action
It left a bad taste in my mouth after seeing the OP-Toriko crossover. The manga wasn't that great as well.
One of the turnoffs for me was that the main character was clearly a cross between Goku(DB) and Kenshiro(FOTNS) and perhaps Luffy and also they were fighting some beasties which OP characters have been OHKO'ing from the start. 
 
Still, if it gets better later on, will definitely check it out again...
Post by Haofan123 (3,675 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@MohsinMan99 said:
@Haofan123 said:
@AgentJ said:

  I'll never understand the appeal of Toriko though. Blegh. 

Its actually really good. Id highly recommend it to anyone who loves food, comedy, and A LOT of great action
It left a bad taste in my mouth after seeing the OP-Toriko crossover. The manga wasn't that great as well. One of the turnoffs for me was that the main character was clearly a cross between Goku(DB) and Kenshiro(FOTNS) and perhaps Luffy and also they were fighting some beasties which OP characters have been OHKO'ing from the start.   Still, if it gets better later on, will definitely check it out again...
Trust me, it gets much better. I thought it was just a goofy manga about eating but when i tried it i just couldnt stop reading
Post by Fire Star (3,730 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Moderator
@Dreamer said:
And Outside sells of Japan just make about 20%-30% of manga sells  so One Piece will still stay in top lol 
I'd figure they would.
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11

It's not surprising, One Piece is a monster and I figure it'll stay there for a long time. It is weird that Bleach is so low though, but Im glad to see Kimi ni Todoke is doing well.

Post by Hirako_Fan (1,043 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@Black_Rose: Te reason why Bleach is low is because at the time Bleach had only Released 2 vols while the others on the list have released 3 ,those are 700k to 800k per vol if you include the vol Bleach is 4th
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel