Shakespeare Manga!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Topic started by iseepenguinz on Sept. 1, 2010. Last post by hitsusatsu11 3 years, 10 months ago.
Post by iseepenguinz (6 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Probabally one of the coolest and best things I have discovered in a long time. I'm a big Shakespeare fan. Not only that but I'm taking a course in Shakespeare in college but when I'm reading out of a text book I become distracted, annoyed, and bored. Although these are a little condenced versions of Shakespeare's laungage (but not by too much to say that it ruins shakespeares language) and makes the characters more fantasy like ( for instance making Shylock from The Merchant of Venice look like Count Dracula) andf puts it in an manga style where this Otaku feels more at home. I personally love the characters being more fantasy and manga like beings. I say often I greatly find the fantasy world much better than reality. The more the fantasy the better. Taking Shakespeare's work and making it into a manga is an amazing idea and I love Self Made Hero for this. Although there are other mangas based on Shakespeare's work, I've discovered this is my favorite version. Here is link to the website for these http://www.mangashakespeare.com/index.html  

The Merchant of Venice            Romeo and Juliet      

Post by Superevil225 (6,742 posts) See mini bio Level 17
That's AWESOME! I've heard of Romeo X Juliet, but not the other ones!
Post by Count_Zero (344 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I'm interested in seeing what they do with Richard the Third, and I'd also be interested in seeing what they do with some of Shakespeare's more obscure plays (Love's Labour Lost, Titus Andronicus, etc.)
Post by hitsusatsu11 (10,732 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Was Shakespeare really even a real single historical person?
Post by Dream (7,259 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@hitsusatsu11:  Go ask him personally. You can find his grave in the Holy Trinity Church in Stratford-Upon-Avon, England.
@Dream: Did one single person write all the works that we attribute to him? 

There is lots of evidence putting that in doubt, I assume you have heard of "Is Shakespeare Dead?" by Mark Twain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Is_Shakespeare_Dead%3F 
I will try and find some video's on the matter, I had never doubted the existence of a single author of the Shakespeare plays, until I say this moving documentary on it, I will try and find a video.
@Dream:   Heres a clip, I highly recommend watching the whole documentary or book it is based on. 

@hitsusatsu11:  So the overall consensus is either Shakespeare's existence is a mere fabrication or aspects of his life are greatly exaggerated via the immense admirers of his work? To be honest, I learned none of this in high school or college yet considering how there can be enough information twisted around by various different sources, it wouldn't surprise me if historians made a major figure seem more grand than they really are. For example, Gandhi's hailed for ending prejudice against Indians in South Africa and India yet a little known fact I found out on the guy was that he was racist towards blacks. Wonder if civil rights leaders like Martin Luther King were aware of this when they were inspired by his struggles?
@Dream: Idk, but I did hear Ghandi thought Black people were "sub human".
@hitsusatsu11:  He referred to South African blacks as lazy and aimless in a number of quotes.
@Dream: Well the relationship between Blacks and Indians in Africa is complex, for example many unfortunate Indians had to leave Uganda under threat of death from Idi Amin
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel