Recommend Good Manga Series

Topic started by saoakden on Feb. 14, 2012. Last post by SilverSavage 2 years, 4 months ago.
Post by saoakden (12 posts) See mini bio Level 13

I've been reading some manga for a few years and so far there have been a few I like but are over. I like: Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Hellsing, InuYasha, Rurouni Kenshin, Death Note, Dragonball (Z), Rave or Rave Master, whatever its called, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, & Full Metal Alchemist. All are some interesting series to read. Some of these are ending, some are over and some are still ongoing so I was wondering if they're other good series out there to read.

I was curious about: Fairy Tail, Berserk, Trigun, Shaman King and Ultimo? They sound good but are they worth reading? If anyone can put there opinions down I would appreciate it.

Post by takashichea (13,862 posts) See mini bio Level 25

I read some of those manga. Here are some summaries:

• Shaman King - (See Beginner's Guide) It's about Yoh Asakura who can see ghosts. His dream to become Shaman King, but to get that dream, he has to fight many shamans from around the world.
  • Fairy Tail - (See Beginner's Guide) It's similar to Rave Master except it's revolves around magic and the concept of guild. Fairy Tail is about the adventures of Natsu Dragneel and his friends as they fight evil and defend their guild and friends. It's more lighter in heart and violence than Rave Master's manga.
  • Ultimo - It's the combination of Shaman King's author, Hiroyuki Takei, and Spiderman's creator, Stan Lee. It's about robots who fight to decide which side is more stronger, good or evil. Dunstan who looks like Stan Lee created these robots to answer that question. It's similar to Shaman King due its concepts of reincarnation.

Hope this helps you.

Edit:

Oh! I forgot about this tip. Fans who read the early Fairy Tail volumes tend to mistake the drawing style for One Piece. It happened to me and lots of people.

Post by sickVisionz (4,309 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@saoakden: I haven't read any of the ones yo're asking about but D.Gray-Man fits in with the other stuff you listed.

@takashichea said:

Oh! I forgot about this tip. Fans who read the early Fairy Tail volumes tend to mistake the drawing style for One Piece. It happened to me and lots of people.

That's probably because they look the same. One Piece looks unique compared to other manga so it's not a case of both series using a generic art style or going with the norm.

Post by DCypher (117 posts) See mini bio Level 15

I think we should be best friends. Most of those are MY favourite manga xD

Ultimo has to be read. As does Fairy Tail.

D.Gray man is a good call too, I'd also suggest Zombie Powder and Zombie Loan.

@DCypher: Maybe we can be. I read Zombie Powder before and I finish reading it online. It ended when it was getting interesting. I think I read Zombie Loan before. I started reading Ultimo. Pretty interesting. Fairy Tail Ill check out.

@takashichea: I actually like Fairy Tail. Its pretty good. I read Ultimo and its interesting. I asked about Shaman King cause I remember watching the cartoon show when i was younger and I was wondering about the actual manga itself.

@sickVisionz: Whats D.Gray-Man about? I never heard of it.

Post by sickVisionz (4,309 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@saoakden said:

In terms of anime, it's like a non-political, Bleach-looking version of Fullmetal Alchemists, except alchemists are called exorcists and homunculus are called the Children of Noah. Everyone has unique fighting styles and magic powers and they run around beating each other up and causing chaos for the other group.

Post by takashichea (13,862 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@saoakden:

Shaman King manga is definitely better than the anime because it has a true ending not an ambiguous one. You get better character evolutions and more action with the shamans and spirits as they develop more skills and variety to their Over Souls. However, the first Shaman King manga series ended abruptly. Don't worry, they have a Kanzen Ban series that features the true ending. It's like a revised version of the first series.

The first series has 32 volumes while the Kanzen ban has 27 volumes. I say read the first one then Kanzen Ban. It's a lot of reading but it's worth it.

I had fun reading it and filling out all 32 volumes' wiki pages.

About D. Gray-Man

It's about Allen Walker who is plagued by the death of his foster father, Mana. The Millenium Earl asks him if he wants to bring back his father to life. When the boy says yes, Mana came back as an Akuma. Mana asks why Allen did and he scratches his left eye. Allen's hidden anti-Akuma weapon awakens from his left arm and instinctively kills Mana.

Allen lives with the curse that his father gave him, and he uses his left eye to seek out Akuma and kills them in order to give the Akuma, salvation. He "saves" their souls. Most of the manga revolves around an Arms race between the Millenium Earl and the Noah against the Exorcist. The Exorcists have to find the Innocence and develop new ways to combat the Millennium Earl and his Akuma army.

(Akuma are like demonic entity made of dark matter. What makes them frightening is that they can hide in human flesh. That's why Allen is the only guy who can find and kill them easily.)

It sounds like an anime that revolves around religion, but the anime doesn't have much religion references to it.

Anime VS Manga

The anime had a lot of fillers in the beginning around 1-40. It ends in 101 episodes, I think. It's up to you to decide. I read the manga first then the anime.

@sickVisionz said:

@saoakden said:

In terms of anime, it's like a non-political, Bleach-looking version of Fullmetal Alchemists, except alchemists are called exorcists and homunculus are called the Children of Noah. Everyone has unique fighting styles and magic powers and they run around beating each other up and causing chaos for the other group.

Nice comparison!

You could say Akuma are similar to Hollows in Bleach.

Both entities evolved and become more humanoid and intelligent.

Post by Hibaru (74 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Ao No Exorcist

Hunter X Hunter (too many hiatus though)

Katekyo Hitman Reborn!

Nurarihyon no Mago

Even now lately there's another hiatus on Hunter X Hunter manga. People have gone crazy out there since the story in the manga are just fascinating (a lot of surprises and improved elements). But many wondered why Togashi-san often make a hiatus. We finally manage to have a long period non-hiatus, but then it happen again on Ch.340 (where a new arc begun, leaving BIG curiosity to fans on how Gon and Killua reunite again). That is all I got. Reborn would be pretty much the same. It has a lot of improvements. So, you might wanna consider again before choosing one of these...

Post by Acura_Max (2,405 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Online Now
Post by SilverSavage (271 posts) See mini bio Level 9

Ao No Exorcist- This manga is about the son of the devil raised by priest and wishes to become an exorcist after his satin kills the priest who raised him.

Aphorism- This is about a school were the successful people come from, but it is not like any other shcool you must survive to become successful

Arago- A boy named Arago seeks revenge on a man named the patch king after he kills his brother.

Area- D- this is about people with abilities, they round these people up and send them to an island called Area D

Beelzebub- The baby of the devil seeks out a host to destroy earth he comes a cross a delinquent named oga who raises him

Buster Keel- A dragon ape is sealed into a human body buy a mage, and he looks for him to undo the curse

Code Breaker- This manga is about a girl named Sakura, she sees a man that burned a a gang to ashes with a blue flame witch came from his hand

Defense Devil- A devil defends humans who are on their way to hell

Gamaran- A boy name gamaran seeks revenge on his father for betraying their clan

Historys Strongest Disciple Kenichi - A local nobody who wants to become strong to protect other so he trains with legendary masters

Magico- Mage who wishes to seal a curse inside a woman buy preforming rituals

Nuraihyon No Mago- A half demon name Nura wishes to join human ands demons together

Soul Eater- in the world filled with madness their are witches and people who kill witches.

1:The breaker- A school boy sees his teacher fight off some thugs and ask him to train him.

2:the breaker new waves: same as one

Tower of Gods: a boy raised in a cave climbs a tower and the top of the tower any thing he wishes will come true

Witch hunter: in a world filled with witches, Knights,aned people who kill witches called witch hunters, a boy who is a witch hunter wants to find his sister who is a witch.

all of these mangas are way better then i described i wanted to make them seem vague so i wouldn't give out too much information about them so you get your own opinion about them when you read them.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel