prices

Topic started by moffattbooks on May 3, 2010. Last post by sickVisionz 4 years, 4 months ago.
Post by moffattbooks (3 posts) See mini bio Level 9

so the prices of manga has been going up, is anyone willing to stick it out or will they go online?
Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,319 posts) See mini bio Level 19
I view my manga online for several reasons. 

First, there is almost NO market for anime/manga in the area I live in, so I have been viewing online for 3 years now. 
Second, I was referred to online manga by several friends during my Senior Year at high school.
(Edit: Sorry about that Kelleth)
Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@ShadowKnight508:  No actual mentions of the scanlations sites please its against the rules.
Post by Lan (621 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I don't think the manga prices have been going at as far as I can see. Almost all are still 10.99, though there are a few titles that around 11.99 or 12.99. I personally buy a lot of manga used through my local book and music exchange. And Borders frequently sends out coupons for 20-30% off an item, so I use those to buy manga for less as well. I still read online, things that aren't licensed here or to read ahead in a series. Where have you been seeing the prices of manga go up? Again, far as I've seen prices have maintained the same (and have gone down since I was middle/high school when it was $20 a volume!).
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
I'll admit, I prefer buying manga, but there are still a good number of legal portals, like viz's Sig Ikki site that host a good amount of manga online.

Essentially, crunchyroll, but for manga.
Post by Ragnorak (38 posts) See mini bio Level 12
I prefer buying online just because a physical book is nice to have, I would however buy manga online if the choice was there, just because it takes up less space and would probably be cheaper than a printed copy. Now what I think moffattbooks meant at the op was that certain companies charge 9.99 and some charge up to 11.99. But these companies are generally consistent in how they charge for their product. The only one that can be kind of ambiguous in their pricing is Bandai, but it's still in the same price range with just a dollar or so of deviation.
Post by Whiskeyjack (111 posts) See mini bio Level 19
*gets comfy in his old man rocking chair*
Back in my day Ranma trades were $25CDN+
Everything's super cheap now as far as I'm concerned! :)
Post by Chengy (1,711 posts) See mini bio Level 17
I only read it online  at this time as where i live you wont be able to get up to date chapters for a loooooong time. So the only way to keep up to date without waiting months is online, so their we go :p
Post by Kestrel (50 posts) See mini bio Level 3
I read my manga online
Post by rein (5,465 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@Lan: at the borders near me the average price for manga is 14-15 dollars (it was originally 10) so yes, i have seen the rise in prices. but i only buy my main series so it doesn't really matter to me.
Post by Lan (621 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@rein:  really? That's strange? Is it all manga or just certain series? The manga at mine are still running average around $10.
Post by Burntlettuce (155 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Borders near me has three volumes of Rurouni Kenshin in one for $20 so I plan on picking those up when I get back home. So no I haven't seen a rise in price's to be perfectly hones.t 
Post by Dream (7,642 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Online Now
I'm not the biggest buyer of manga as I buy more anime than manga. But I have noticed the regular retail price for a single manga volume has gone up a buck to $11. Back when I was in college, they were only $10 a volume.
Post by xeroxkitty (23 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Prices of manga going up?  Really?  I buy most of mine from Amazon, so it's mostly discounted already...  

But as for the age-old debate of books vs scanlations: I can read a book on the bus, in the bath or in bed... It'd be a bit tricky to lug my mac everywhere with me just to read some manga ;)
Post by Ragnorak (38 posts) See mini bio Level 12
@xeroxkitty

one word; Kindle
Post by rein (5,465 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@Lan: a good deal of them. I think the main shonen series are still $11 or so, But the prices of everything else has been jacked up to 15.
Post by buhssuht (223 posts) See mini bio Level 19
I'm not buying a single volume unless there is some kind of amazing deal or coupon 
Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24
I stopped buying all of the series that I used to sell for $7.99 that jumped up to $9.99.  I still buy the ones that were originally $9.99 and have maintained that price point though.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel