NYTimes Manga Best Sellers for October 24-30

Topic started by Guest_Author on Nov. 8, 2010. Last post by FoxxFireArt 3 years, 8 months ago.
Post by Guest_Author (0 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Staff
The New York Times best sellers list of manga for the last week of October was posted on theNew York Times website last week and the list was dominated by a bunch of new titles, and only three volumes remained from the previous list. Though it appears Del Rey's publication of Negima! Volume 28 took the top spot away from VIZ Media's Naruto Volume 49. The publisher that had the most impressive showing was Yen Press. They took up five of the ten spots on the list. What makes this more impressive is that each of Yen Press' books was it's first showing on the list. Though, it shouldn't be ignored that Tokyopop's publication of Hetalia has been on the list for six weeks and still manages to stay in the top ten on sales.

Rank (Prev. Rank)
TitlePublisherMSRPWeeks on List
1Negima! 28Del Rey 
$10.991
2 (1)
Naruto Volume 49VIZ Media
$9.994
3Black Butler Volume 3Yen Press
$10.991
4Soul Eater Volume 4Yen Press
$10.991
XXXHolic Volume 16Del Rey
$10.991
Pandora Hearts Volume 3Yen Press
$10.991
7 (3)
Hetalia - Axis Powers Volume 1Tokyopop
$10.996
Nightschool Volume 4Yen Press
$12.991
9 (2)
Black Bird Volume 6VIZ Media
$9.994
10The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Volume 7Yen Press
$10.991

Source: NYTimes.com Graphic Books List  

-Kristoffer Remmell (  FoxxFireArt) is a freelance graphic artist, writer, and over all mystery geek.-        
Post by Six (8 posts) See mini bio Level 11
No idea where in my town to buy these books.
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,639 posts) See mini bio Level 25
@six: 
Well, most major bookstores such as Borders or Barnes & Nobel have whole sections for manga now with a pretty good catalogs. They can even special order issues for you. You can also order off Amazon.

Personally, I'm a Borders member. They email me coupons that I use and get mangas at a slightly reduced cost.
Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I'll just order them at ABC in The Hague
I think there is only Books-a-Million and small Christian book stores nearby.  Maybe the card and comic shop would have some, if it is even in business still. 
Post by sora_thekey (1,097 posts) See mini bio Level 16
@FoxxFireArt: Are you excited that Negima is #1?
@six: 
I'm not sure where you are located. I would think comic stores might jack up the price on you. Your best bet is to try Amazon.com. If you buy a couple volumes at a time. You could probably get shipping for free.

Also, most major book retailers have store finders. Just go to Broders.com and put in your zip code at the Store Locater.
Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Yet another reminder that I need to start my manga collection.

looks like booksamillion has some manga.  the closest borders or barnes and noble are over 65 miles away in Memphis or Nashville.  I have only been in BaM twice.  and once, i was looking for school books.
thanks though.
Post by Superevil225 (6,742 posts) See mini bio Level 17
I got me some Hetalia!!! Actually I won it in a competition. LOL
Post by Lurkero (399 posts) See mini bio Level 7
@FoxxFireArt: 
Those 20-25% off coupons from Borders can really add up if you time purchases right. I'd call 20% more than a "slightly reduced price" but I get your point.

The Borders and Barnes and Noble stores near my home have really good manga sections. Of course, 1/5 of the section is Bleach and Naruto, but thats mostly what I like anyways.
@lurkero: 
The best ones are the rare Buy 1, Get 1 Free or the 40% Off coupons.

I'd enjoy the VIZ manga if they were well published, but they aren't. That's why I love seeing how well Yen Press is doing. They do really accurate translations. If publishers such as Yen Press and Del Rey start eclipsing VIZ. Perhaps they will get their heads out of their $%# and stop altering content or offer uncensored versions.
Post by Psychotime (53 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Negima's popular? I never would have guessed. And plus the fact that it beat Naruto? That's really surprising.
@psychotime: 
Have you ever read Negima! ? Though it starts off more lighthearted comedy. It quickly starts to go into Shounen action series with fanservice. Pretty much the entire Volume 27 is about one huge ass battle with a lot of blood and magic. Not to mention, Del Rey is fantastic publisher.
Post by Psychotime (53 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@FoxxFireArt:  I read the premise and lost all interest from there. I'm not a fan of harem or fanservice.

From what I've seen, Del Rey is a scanlation fan's dream come true. Too bad they're technically shutting down at the end of the year. I hope when Kodansha starts their official US branch they follow up on the style of localization. It's very distinguished.
@psychotime: 
I personally like fanservice. but I understand it's not to everyone's liking. Negima! just has some really cool action sequences. I didn't even imagine that Ken Akamatsu could even do that style. The story is also really engaging.

This is actually the first time I have heard that Del Rey is technically shutting down. Proably could of heard this earlier if Anime Vice had some regular staff doing news.
Though, I am not so sure this is such a bad thing. Kodansha is the original publisher in Japan of the series. I see no reason why they would come to the US and change what is being done with the book since it's doing well enough to reach the top of the NYTimes best seller's list. I more wonder if Kodansha will just be absorbing the staff of Del Rey into the new US branch. Could it be that Del Rey would be doing just what they always have been, but just under a different name? What they are called is irrelevant to what they actually do.

Though, I can't say that this news doesn't make me at all nervous. Del Rey does a fantastic job in publishing. So much so that I pretty much stopped reading scanlations of the series to wait for the US published versions. Hearing there might be some change almost makes me want to go back to scanlations.

If you like Del Rey, you should also check out Yen Press. They don't even touch the artwork.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel