Need a new manga to read.

Topic started by wwfunderaker on Dec. 30, 2009. Last post by John_Martone 4 years, 8 months ago.
Post by wwfunderaker (485 posts) See mini bio Level 15
I usually watch the anime series and then read the manga ( i know should be the other way). So i want to start with fresh manga, i just recently started to read Berserk, which is awesome. I dont really mind what type of genre it is, but no dragon ball, naruto and bleach type manga. 

Cheers.
Post by JJOR64 (2,074 posts) See mini bio Level 16
@wwfunderaker: I'm the same as you.  Anime first then manga second.  Well, most of the time I just watch the anime.  How about Love Hina?  It's a funny and goofy harem manga.
Post by InfiniteGeass (527 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Have you seen the Fullmetal Alchemist anime? Even if you haven't the manga is worth a read. It has some humor, action, and a great story.
Post by geraldthesloth (502 posts) See mini bio Level 3
Claymore if you like Berserk you'll really enjoy it.
Post by Son_of_Manus (525 posts) See mini bio Level 6
Oh! My Goddess is my favorite everything right now
@JJOR64 said:
" @wwfunderaker: I'm the same as you.  Anime first then manga second.  Well, most of the time I just watch the anime.  How about Love Hina?  It's a funny and goofy harem manga. "
i seen the anime, it was ok. I dont think i would read the manga, but claymore and full metal alchemist sound pretty good.
@wwfunderaker: Tha'ts cool.  You probably wont like the manga if you didn't care for the anime.  I haven't read the FMA manga, but isn't it a shonen like DB, Bleach, and Naruto?
Post by Chengy (1,711 posts) See mini bio Level 17
I would recommend the Elfen Lied Manga
Post by Addfwyn (408 posts) See mini bio Level 16
I'n actually the opposite, I almost always read the manga first, and only very rarely watch the anime.  I've probably only watched <10 anime series in their entirety. 

Sounds like you want to shy away from shounen manga then, if you don't want the long-running/actiony type stuff. 

For more psychological stuff, I STRONGLY recommend Monster.  Probably my favourite manga (has an anime you can watch as well).  About a doctor chasing down a serial killer, somewhat loosely.   

Death Note, at least the first half, is always going to be a common recommendation.  I think the manga is superior to the anime and live action movies (except those have Erika Toda).  About a kid who gets a notebook that kills anyone whose name he writes in it. 

For more gritty action, I'd recommend Berserk.  It's not the same kinda shounen action you may be used to, so it may appeal.  THose were just a couple, if you can give me more specific what you like, I may be able to tailor it more.
Post by FLCL1 (3,935 posts) See mini bio Level 7

claymore bro
Post by sinxism (348 posts) See mini bio Level 9
GTO and Monster :)
I posted in this thread 2 weeks ago?  Damn.   :P

If you want a romantic comedy, try Chobit s.
So ive started to read Chobits ( seen the anime) and FMA. Since ive read the latest berserk and need to wait now, ill start to read claymore.
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Claymore is an interesting duck. I love it, but the style (in black and white manga) can get pretty hard to take. All of the Claymores essentially look the same (same hair color, same clothing, same swords) so it can be incredibly hard to differentiate who's who at a couple of the sequences. 

The FMA manga is a pretty hot. I watched the anime, but found that I enjoy the plot in the manga considerably more.
Post by OmegaMekix (3,847 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Here's a couple of mangas I read.

• Eden no Ori: A manga about a plane crash on a mysterious island with suppose-to-be extinct creatures. If the monsters don't kill you your neighbor might.  
  • GE- Good Ending: Nice calm manga about a desperate guy joining the tennis club to get closer to a crush. The author does a good job with this manga.
  • Pig Bride: I know it's a shoujo but the plot is good and it has hilarious moments.
  • Trace: A epic storyline with minor action. Good read, trust me.
  • Mirai Nikki: Original plot, nice fight scenes, realistic people, and a crazy girl. What more could you want in a manga?
I'll give another one.  Try out Mahou Sensei Negima!  I just started this a few days ago and so far it's great.
Post by Sigue (860 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Bakuman is a great read.
Post by Addfwyn (408 posts) See mini bio Level 16
MPD Psycho is another good one, a bit graphic at times and pretty dark, but a really good psychological thriller.
Post by InfiniteGeass (527 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Doubt- I just got done reading this and it is pretty dark and messed towards the end.
Post by kyo (2 posts) See mini bio Level 2
you should read and watch katekyo hitman reborn
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel