More Manga Movies In The Works

Topic started by gia on March 9, 2009. Last post by gia 5 years, 8 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Epic Movie Would Be Epic
Epic Movie Would Be Epic
Right on the heels of the International Film Channel declaring that anime films are outright impossible, ANN catches word of a new production company called Cerenzie-Peters (after founders Michael Cerenzie and Christine Peters, producers of City of Ghosts and How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, respectively) who is pouring money into acquiring rights to video games and “Asian manga books.” (Gotta love that PR department.)

They've raised about $200 million that they'll pend on eight or ten films (I'm guessing, since they say they're going to spend $20-30 million per film. That may sound like a lot, but it's actually pretty low-budget as far as Hollywood flicks go-- the average as of 2004 was $100 million, and even if it does dip due to the economy, it probably won't dip THAT much.

I also want to caution the idea that they're only doing movies based on games or manga specifically-- I went to their website, and if you scroll down to the bottom of the press page, they talk a bit about how video games are the company's “main focus” and that they're also looking at “comics” and “graphic novels.” Some of that might be manga, and some of it might not.

So far, no word on what the company is working on licensing manga-wise, so all we know is what they DON'T have-- Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Dragon Ball Z, Speed Racer, and Lament of the Lamb (unless TOKYOPOP strikes a deal on that last one, which-- given the lack of news on it –might not be a bad idea).

What do you WANT them to make a movie on? That they specifically cite manga and not anime is interesting; it means we could have a shot at seeing a movie version of a manga that isn't hugely popular or well-known...maybe Kurogane Corpse Delivery Service or Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei...okay, it'd never happen, but a girl can dream, right?

Post by ComradeCrash (152 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Why!? Two weeks ago I went to watch Street Fighter...and it was okay but not good that's for sure.  I just don't think a bunch of these show/video game properties lend themselves to real life portrayals.
Post by HeeroYuy (1,210 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Holy cow, right on the heels of my previous comment, I see now what they should make a Gundam movie on!! Ecole du Ciel would be GREAT for Hollywood! It has all their romance and teen drama and garbage they want, mixed with action, and they don't even need to tinker with it! Now, assuming they didn't mess with it too much (and knowing them they probably would ANYWAY...) it would still be pretty good! EdC was a really good manga...

As for a different manga series altogether, I could see them doing an Americanized Love Hina where we have a college student trying to get into Harvard/Yale, keeping the inheriting a dormitory part, and ending up hooking up with one of the roomies. As much of a Love Hina and Ken Akamatsu fan I am, I have to say, that seems like it would work pretty well, and the real charm in Love Hina (at least for me) wasn't so much in the setting as it was the character interactions, so so long as their metaphorical Keitaro, Naru, Kitsune, Su, Shinobu, Motoko, and Aunt Haruka stay personality-wise mostly the same, I'd be happy with that. In this case, they could probably get away with just not even calling it an adaptation, but rather, using LH as inspiration... and I think it would work pretty well to their taste.

As for other series, personally I'd love an Ai Yori Aoshi movie, but there'd probably be a lot lost in translation. When They Cry could make for a pretty badass horror film, but I can see that getting messed up pretty easily too...
Post by Sillyfaerie (13 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Well, I'd have to plug in my standard answer to most questions here: Rozen Maiden.
Hm...I dunno, a live-action Rozen Maiden? It's hard to imagine the dolls being done well and not kinda cheesy-lookin'.
Post by ComradeCrash (152 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Oh! Knowing Hollywood they would make Rosen Maiden into a horror movie! Ah! Now that's scary! lol
ComradeCrash: Gothic Lolita Chucky.
Post by yuetheguardian (93 posts) See mini bio Level 7
I p-0ersonally would not mind a wallflower movie here in america, I think it could work.
Post by Niko (865 posts) See mini bio Level 8
HeeroYuy said:
"Holy cow, right on the heels of my previous comment, I see now what they should make a Gundam movie on!! Ecole du Ciel would be GREAT for Hollywood! It has all their romance and teen drama and garbage they want, mixed with action, and they don't even need to tinker with it! Now, assuming they didn't mess with it too much (and knowing them they probably would ANYWAY...) it would still be pretty good! EdC was a really good manga..."
Yay for someone else who even knows what Ecole du Ciel is, let alone reads it. And I can see your point, but for right now, I'd settle for Tokyopop actually continuing bringing it over.
yue: Hmm...five gorgeous guys making over a horror fanatic girl? Yeah, I could see that working. Of course, the tricky thing is how to END it without it being either a cheesy feel-good "be who you want to be!" ending or a boring Disney transformation ending @_@
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel