Is reading manga online wrong?

Topic started by ownagepants on Jan. 29, 2014. Last post by DBZ_universe 7 months, 1 week ago.
Post by ownagepants (382 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Is reading manga online the same as pirating a movie because in both instances you are getting for free what is supposed to be paid for and cheating hard working people out of money what do you guys think is it wrong?

Related Topics

Post by MarioRedfield (1,803 posts) See mini bio Level 11

No. Anything to stick it to the man.

Post by Bigheart711 (3,985 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I think just reading a manga online isn't the same as pirating unless you're the one who uploaded it somewhere. The latter can also get you in legal trouble, should the creators or someone related find out about it or otherwise. Just reading it and not uploading jack is similar watching a movie that you haven't uploaded. You won't get in trouble, but the uploader has a chance to since they're the ones costing the creators money. I don't think reading manga online in general is wrong, though.

BTW, Crunchyroll recently became a legal manga scan site to double their legal anime streaming and is the first to do so by my knowledge. To me, they're like the guy that turned a new leaf and went clean after his days as a drug addict since it used to be a pirated anime site way back then.

Post by waybig1010101 (3,313 posts) See mini bio Level 14
@MarioRedfield said:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=13299601350A18822000&page=0
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,298 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Yes, it is wrong to read free Manga online. The thing I do to make up for it, is to buy the Manga volumes (I have so many Manga because of that)

I happy Viz and Crunchyroll are doing legal simulcast Manga now

Anyway, I always feel bad for reading Manga from those pirate site. I glad their are legal ways to get Manga now

Post by Bigheart711 (3,985 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@Destinyheroknight: I completely forgot that Viz also did legal manga scans years ago. :( I also end up buying the manga I read, should I even enjoy it after I read it online somehow.

Post by takashichea (12,667 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

@ownagepants:

Wrong thread. I'll move to the manga page. For your question, were you asking about the forum and battle rules? I strictly prohibit links to pirated sites. There was a problem back in the battle threads when I saw a few users who did not know what's a difference between a pirated site and a legal website. I told them what sites: Viz Media, Yen Press, Crunchyroll. They used Manga P***a and Manga St***m. That tells me I need to make a thread.

You have to support the industry if you can. These guys are posting manga scans without permission and labeling it with watermarks. That's not fair to the creator and their staff. They're not getting money even though the fan subbers are exposing their manga series to a broader audience. Sometimes, you cannot access legal venues because you lived in a country that anime is such a niche.

Try not to post links to pirated manga anime sites.

Online Now

@ownagepants:

Also, your title is misleading. At least, your OP is clear. You should have titled it: Is Reading Manga on Pirated Sites Wrong?

If you make a mistake on a new thread, contact me or Sonata to delete your thread, so you can fixed it.

Post by ownagepants (382 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@takashichea: Wow a lot happened while I was sleping lol.Thanks for fixing that for me and I did not know their was such a thing as a legal manga site.

Post by phantomrant (1,385 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Buy manga and you're in the right.

Online Now

@ownagepants:

I'll make a thread for you and the battle folks on a list of simulcasts and what is a pirated site. For a list of simulpubs, please visit the Simulcast & Simulpub's concept page. Though, I don't have a directory to a list of legal sites to read manga, simulpub or not.

Post by MarioRedfield (1,803 posts) See mini bio Level 11

@waybig1010101 said:

@MarioRedfield said:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=13299601350A18822000&page=0

There was some big thing on ComicVine about how manga outsells comics by a large degree and comics are doing just fine...

@Bigheart711:

Also, Yen Press was doing it for awhile to

I like reading the official book, because it clearer and it don't have a dumb watermark in the middle of the page

@MarioRedfield:

I think it mostly do to Japan sales, books are a bigger thing over there

Post by hitsusatsu11 (10,747 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Na in fact I think scanlations of manga/LNs and fansubbers probably helps make the creators more money by spreading awareness, especially in every market outside japan where their exposure might be nill and their might be no official english translations. The more ppl exposed = higher chance ppl will buy merchandise. If theres no exposure then theres zero chance of sales.

If you eschew fan translations then your never gonna get to read gems like index or monogatari, or lesser known titles like holyland, which will never see the light of day in N.A.

@hitsusatsu11:

Not really, they still taking away business from the official companies. They not giving back to the creators or paying royalties, so yeah it is still wrong but I guess is a necessary evil if you put it that way (it still wrong)

Also, I won't say never with Holy Land. What Crunchyroll is doing, they might grab it someday or Vertical will pick it up (since it fit with there style)

@Destinyheroknight: dont they encourage unofficial things like doujin in japan to spread awareness?

Online Now

@hitsusatsu11 said:

Na in fact I think scanlations of manga/LNs and fansubbers probably helps make the creators more money by spreading awareness, especially in every market outside japan where their exposure might be nill and their might be no official english translations. The more ppl exposed = higher chance ppl will buy merchandise. If theres no exposure then theres zero chance of sales.

If you eschew fan translations then your never gonna get to read gems like index or monogatari, or lesser known titles like holyland, which will never see the light of day in N.A.

I see that argument. What DestinyHeroKnight say is right. Even if you don't have fan subs, there are ways to promote the manga either through legal simulcasts of the anime adaptations, commercials, people, and social media.

@takashichea: ya but u also want to read/watch it to.

Online Now

@hitsusatsu11:

Yes, I know that, but at least the manga's name is promoted. Also, there's an error in your argument. Even there is exposure through fan subbers, fans on the outside cannot support the manga. Your sales depends on the folks in Japan. Until the publishers expand, fans will resort to piracy.

@takashichea: But you c it all the time. Someone reads the scanlations, likes the manga or LN a lot and then orders the Japanese version even though they cant read it, just be cause they really like it and want to have a physical copy. Or maybe they buy a figure or poster. If not for the fan scan there would be no overseas income.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel