Getting Started

Topic started by Jonny_Anonymous on Dec. 27, 2011. Last post by SilverSavage 2 years, 8 months ago.
Post by Jonny_Anonymous (52 posts) See mini bio Level 9

Ok, so I'm new here (obviously) but I'm a regular over at Comic Vine and decided to broaden my comic book horizons and check out some manga. I'm not sure where to start but I was looking through some manga that's produced by Square Enix and as I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan it made me wonder if there is any manga that's smiler in style or theme to the the series and more importantly are they any good? If not could any body recommend any Manga thats good in its own right that I could start with?

Post by Dr_Ventum (162 posts) See mini bio Level 7

I'll toss out two random Manga because why not?

Soul Eater(which is pretty kickin' if you're okay with the fan service.) and D.Gray Man(pretty awesome all around IMO)

Both have anime adaptations if you enjoy them and want to try getting into some Anime. (You can actually watch Soul Eater on Youtube for free)

I'm a fan of comics and I enjoyed both of these for what it's worth.

@Dr_Ventum said:

I'll toss out two random Manga because why not?

Soul Eater(which is pretty kickin' if you're okay with the fan service.) and D.Gray Man(pretty awesome all around IMO)

Both have anime adaptations if you enjoy them and want to try getting into some Anime. (You can actually watch Soul Eater on Youtube for free)

I'm a fan of comics and I enjoyed both of these for what it's worth.

ok thanks, I'll check them out.

bump
Post by DocHaus (936 posts) See mini bio Level 18

@spiderbat87: Depends on the genre, because there is a shitload of manga out there. I'd suggest cracking open the manga of Fullmetal Alchemist or One Piece if you have the time and want a nice, long adventurous story (the latter is technically still going!). Battle Angel Alita if you're looking for more sci-fi. Lone Wolf and Cub if you want something semi-realistic re: ronin samurai and the Edo period. 20th Century Boys or Monster if you want a drama or mystery. Hell, anything by Naoki Urusawa is amazing, just don't expect to feel too happy afterwards.

Post by ScarletKittie (132 posts) See mini bio Level 16

If you're into dark psychological stuff, I'd recommend MPD Psycho. Don't read it if you're freaked out by graphic violence though... there is a lot of that. Death Note is another series I see people recommend (haven't gotten the chance to read all of it myself). Moving away from the crazy psychological, there is Black Lagoon (another I haven't read myself but comes highly recommended) that features a lot of action and One Piece which is adventure and comedy.

Two of my personal favorites are Gokusen (the art in the beginning is lackluster but gets better) and Gakuen Alice. Not sure if either would be your cup of tea, but I figured I'd give them a mention.

@ScarletKittie said:

If you're into dark psychological stuff, I'd recommend MPD Psycho. Don't read it if you're freaked out by graphic violence though... there is a lot of that. Death Note is another series I see people recommend (haven't gotten the chance to read all of it myself). Moving away from the crazy psychological, there is Black Lagoon (another I haven't read myself but comes highly recommended) that features a lot of action and One Piece which is adventure and comedy.

Two of my personal favorites are Gokusen (the art in the beginning is lackluster but gets better) and Gakuen Alice. Not sure if either would be your cup of tea, but I figured I'd give them a mention.

Thanks, yea I have heard of Death Note and it really interests me, it sounds like something I would like.
bump
Post by DCypher (117 posts) See mini bio Level 15

I actually found High School of the Dead ... gripping .. thats good.

Gakuen Alice I would like to check out, as I hear so much goodness.

MDP I have never even heard of but I like dark psychotic comiz xXD

@DCypher said:

I actually found High School of the Dead ... gripping .. thats good.

Gakuen Alice I would like to check out, as I hear so much goodness.

MDP I have never even heard of but I like dark psychotic comiz xXD

What can you tell me about High School of the Dead

Post by DCypher (117 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Well, it's basically Day of the Dead with High School students from Japan. If you've seen any of the advertising of the anime, its's actually quite different to that.

I like it because it pays homages to a lot of different zombie movies and each volume is actually almost its own seperate story just using the same characters, cool fights, lots of zombies and lots of fan service. It's also a little less deep than some manga, D.Gray and Soul Eater are boss but it's a big commitment to read them all the way but HoTD is less than 16 volumes.

People say its gratuitous, I actually think its about looking at anything APART from the enormous boobies and girls with no regard for western morality. As I say, I really enjoyed it.

Post by SilverSavage (271 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel