Dream Teams: Takahashi and Adachi

Topic started by gia on March 11, 2009. Last post by gia 5 years, 7 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13

I'm guessing more of you are familiar with Ranma ½ and InuYasha's Rumiko Takahashi than with Mitsuru Adachi, but in Japan he's quite a star. Creating manga for both shoujo and shounen anthologies, his works appeal to many...but only one has made it to North America: Short Program, two volumes of short stories from throughout Adachi's career.

Why do I bring up these two? They'll be working together on a new manga called My Sweet Sunday, to be published in Shogakukan's Weekly Sunday anthology. It's just a 30-page one-shot, but it's intended to celebrate Sunday's 50 anniversary on March 17th-- due out in the next issue, hitting stores March 18.

When I first heard about the collaboration, it instantly clicked with me. Although their story styles are very different-- Takahashi usually favoring wacky scenarios with supernatural elements and Adachi preferring more slice-of-life stories, at least based on my reading of Short Program –their art styles should mesh together extremely well, I think. Consider, for example, this drawing of Lum Adachi did (right) and compare it to Takahashi's own (above left).

How about you guys? Would you want to read it?

Post by Devilly (5,329 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Hell yeah that sounds awesome :) lol i think im one of the few who knows Urusei Yatsura better then Ranma 1/2 XD
Post by N15PCA (611 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Takahashi Shows do usually  have wacky scenarios, but when he made Maison Ikkoku supernatural elements were no were to be found.
N15PCA: She. And yes, Maison Ikkoku and some of the short stories in Rumic World have no supernatural elements-- but even then they lean towards the wacky side, even if not metaphysical. Just look at the cast of characters of Maison-- dog-phobe, dogaholic, drunks, etc...^_^
Post by JELEINEN (49 posts) See mini bio Level 1
I've always enjoyed Takahashi's short works far more than her long ones.  I hope to get a chance to read this (most likely it will have to be via less than legal means).  Amusing choice of image at the top there.
JELEINEN: I'm a huge fan of Takahashi's shorts! :)
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel