Dragon Quest Monster in Toriko Manga

Topic started by GodLen on Oct. 21, 2009. Last post by sokal234 3 years, 4 months ago.
Post by GodLen (877 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Staff

Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro’s Toriko manga is about people who travel the world to hunt down animals to make them into delicious dishes. They get their numerous monster ideas from readers themselves. This is a good system and all, but in the current chapter, the latest monster, the “Grand Shark”, was extremely familiar in name and appearance to one in the Dragon Quest franchise.

so this could either be some kind of giant mind fart on Toriko’s half, not knowing that they actually were copying Dragon Quest; or of course they could also have known what they were doing, and decided that it wasn’t going to get them into trouble. Either way, it has exploded over on 2channel, so they won’t be making the same mistake again.

[Via ANN]
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,645 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Some monsters are just iconic. Look at the slime monsters. Those are in just about every manga/anime/RPG. That's another Dragon Quest monster.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@FoxxFireArt: Better watch out; VIZ is publishing Toriko, IIRC, and now they might have to alter the monster to avoid a lawsuit ;)
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,645 posts) See mini bio Level 25
@gia: 
If they did then they will just be supporting the argument I've had against that company. lol

At least there would be some sort of legal justification for those actions. Their utter butchering of Detective Conan is inexcusable when compared to how they leave other series relatively untouched, such as Bleach and Naruto. The only thing I have ever heard from that publisher that has made me so much as even think about lifting my boycott of their products is that they are putting One Piece into higher production, but they will probably mess that up too. I remember when FUNimation redudded One Piece, when they got to the Skypiea arc they renamed the villain God Enel to King Enel. It wasn't as if he was a real god. This change also contradicts the praying to God jokes done throughout the arc. Though the manga hasn't gotten near that far. So it's unknown if VIZ will follow FUNimation's lead.
Post by sokal234 (1 posts) See mini bio Level 2
Watch Toriko Episodes Movies English Subbed Dubbed Online. HD Stream Episodes for FREE at TorikoGet. For details: http://www.torikoget.com/
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel