Can I Get Some Help Getting in to Manga?

Topic started by guttridgeb on Nov. 9, 2012. Last post by Shizuo 1 year, 2 months ago.
Post by guttridgeb (5 posts) See mini bio Level 6

I figured I'd try something different so I bought the first Naruto the other day which I really enjoyed, I also plan on getting Death Note. Do you guys have any recommendations?

Post by NoOne_13 (61 posts) See mini bio Level 9

The way I got into manga was that I read the ones that my favorite anime was based off of and once I found a genre I really enjoyed I slowly started looking at other manga within that genre and had it grow from there. You seem to be doing this already with Naruto and Death Note. So if you like Naruto then you might like O-Parts Hunter/666 Satan, the creator of this series is the twin brother of the guy who created Naruto so there are a lot a similarities between the two (especially in the art style). A few good series that are as suspenseful as Death Note are Bloody Monday, which is about a teen who tries to stop a group of terrorists, and Liar Game, where a brilliant ex-con man helps an easily deceived girl survive in a series of games that leave people the loser in massive amounts of debt. Hope that helps.

Post by KingOfAsh (1,268 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Well, I would say that any fan of manga or comic books should definately check out Akira. I'm also reading 20th Century Boys, which I would also reccomend. Also Full Metal Alchemist.

@NoOne_13: Awesome, thanks :)

@KingOfAsh: I bought the first Fullmetal Alchemist volume today and its pretty awesome. I'll try the others as well, thanks.

Post by Blindside (1,003 posts) See mini bio Level 12

If you like people repeatedly penetrating each other with large pieces of metal, Jackals is a surefire winner.

Post by DocHaus (909 posts) See mini bio Level 18

@guttridgeb: What genre of fiction do you prefer in general? Fantasy? Crime Drama? Comedy? Slice-of-life? Something heartwarming or depressing?

@DocHaus: Mostly sci-fi and fantasy, Star Wars is my favourite franchise. In terms of heartwarming/depressing I don't mind, I read both and find both enjoyable (when written well).

Post by DocHaus (909 posts) See mini bio Level 18

@guttridgeb: 20th Century Boys is amazing but it can get real depressing at times. On the other side of the coin, Fullmetal Alchemist and Trigun should be up your alley.

Also check out Cage of Eden and Bloody Monday. It's like an anime Lost and 24 (respectively), you might like them.

@DocHaus said:

@guttridgeb: 20th Century Boys is amazing but it can get real depressing at times. On the other side of the coin, Fullmetal Alchemist and Trigun should be up your alley.

Also check out Cage of Eden and Bloody Monday. It's like an anime Lost and 24 (respectively), you might like them.

Thanks. I've been watching FMA and I got the first manga recently which I enjoyed. I'll keep an eye out for the others :)

Post by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (60 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@guttridgeb: Well Since you're into fantasy check out berserk one of the best manga ever. Warning though, it is DARK

Post by Shizuo (4 posts) See mini bio Level 6

ES

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel