Bleach Manga #497 - Who You Gonna Call

Topic started by sickVisionz on June 20, 2012. Last post by sickVisionz 2 years, 2 months ago.
Post by sickVisionz (4,263 posts) See mini bio Level 24

Bleach #497 - Kill the Shadow 2

You'll shoot your eye out, You'll shoot your eye out.
You'll shoot your eye out, You'll shoot your eye out.

In a Nutshell

Despite knowing that the Vandenreich could seal their Bankai and willingly sacrificing their powers in the previous chapter, the Shinigami captains are completely baffled and taken aback by the realization that their Bankai won't be of use against the Vandies. Meanwhile, someone in the science division calls in Ichigo "I Carry Soul Society On My Back" Kurosaki to save the day.

High Points

• Kick ass art.
  • Some fighting that was kinda cool.
  • They actually made Matsumoto look awesome.

Low Points

• Captains being idiots.

Rants and Raves

I felt this way about the anime often, but Bleach has a way of making things look cool. Tite Kubo should probably be taken out back and shot as a writer, but I seriously think he has a good eye for framing things in interesting ways and slicing up the page. Maybe he could storyboard movies or something. Anyways, there was a lot of Bleach visual splendor in this chapter and I especially love how they made Matsumoto look while she casts that kido spell. Plus, someone got shot in the eye.

Grade

I give this chapter a B. Chapters like this are about as good as Bleach gets. Cool art, some decent fighting, interesting looking powers, and no focus on pretty boy shinigami, lame ass flaming gay stereotype ballerina arrancar, tutu Espada, luchador Quincies and other nonsense.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,247 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Man, I found this chapter boring. I didn't found anything that enrage me or anything I like, it just there (I probably just mega jaded at Bleach or something)

Post by ohgodwhy (1,534 posts) See mini bio Level 11

Me too, I just don't find Bleach as good as OP or Naruto anymore. It's like the same over and over again and Soul Society is too over dependant on Ichigo to come save their asses every time.

@ohgodwhy said:

Me too, I just don't find Bleach as good as OP or Naruto anymore.

I can't speak for OP, but to be fair, Bleach was never as good as Naruto when it came to the manga.

Post by ohgodwhy (1,534 posts) See mini bio Level 11

@sickVisionz: I feel that way too, I just didn't want to anger any Bleach fans. Although I did genuinely like the Soul Society arc in the anime.

@ohgodwhy: That's the anime people turning miracles. I've never read the SS arc but I have seen stuff that was terrible in the manga but ended up pretty darn good in the anime. I think the SS Arc is in that category.

Post by taichokage (13,014 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now
Wow. Shunsui is believed to be the strongest of all captains aside from Yamaji himself and possibly his only other senior Unohana. If he's already wounded and hasn't landed a blow himself, the captains are in for trouble because if he can't handle his opponent, the rest likely can't either. But at least he may not need to lose his bankai in order to fight evenly with them because his shikai like Yamaji's is monster powerful and stronger than some bankai. But Akon violating his rights and putting the time to communicate with one lone shinigami (Ichigo) may be a testimony to his new power. Obviously he is held in high esteem. The question is, is Ichigo at his previous monster level or stronger, because his version that fought Aizen could probably take out most of the invading Vandenreich alone. Also Renji appears to be stronger too. Byakuya seems to respect him enough where he can trust him to defeat enemies that even he can't do with shikai alone.
Post by Lurkero (405 posts) See mini bio Level 7

Bleach has never been well written.

Its basically 1) Troubling situation happens 2) Captains bumble around a bit with the new enemies 3) Ichigo arrives and loses 4) Captains stall 5) Ichigo arrives with a new powerup 6) Ichigo wins 7) Repeat from step 1

I still enjoy the action in Bleach, however (when they aren't explaining how each of their moves work).

Post by All_StarSupes (770 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Shunsui is now retarded? Because that's the only reason I can see for him to get injured so easily.

@All_StarSupes: Well, I give the old man Vandy some credit. He switched to his Bankai mode to land one good clean hit when he saw an opening and switched out of it once he connected. He's got the smarts to not waste his energy by staying in that mode for the entire fight or not give away every secret by remaining in it forever for all to see it's strengths and weaknesses. I say that makes the hit less Shunsui being stupid and more the old man getting one over on him... although Shinsui is an idiot for thinking this guy was so weak that he wouldn't even have to bother using his Shikai form against him.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel