It's time once again for us manga reporters to get our hopes up that manga will actually get its due at this year's Will Eisner Awards at San Diego Comic Con: the nominations are now online. Here are the manga-related noms:
- Best Continuing Series: Monster (Naoki Urasawa), Usagi Yojimbo (Stan Sakai)
- Best Publication for Kids: Cowa! (Akira Toriyama)
- Best Publication for Teens: Skim (Mariko Tamaki and Jillian Tamaki)
- Best Graphic Album – New: Skim
- Best US Edition of International Material – Japan: Cat Eyed Boy (Kazuo Umezu), Dororo (Osamu Tezuka), Monster, The Quest for the Missing Girl (Jiro Taniguchi), Solanin (Inio Asano)
Remember, that's just the manga noms-- obviously they're up against a lot of material from around the world, with the exception of the Japan category at the end. I'm hoping a manga picks up an award outside of that category this year, although it's probably a pipe dream. Still, a Best Continuing Series award would be pretty nice!
Also, has anyone read Skim? It's by a pair of Canadian cousins of Japanese descent, and it has a really interesting art style-- it feels like classic Japanese art. So I thought you guys might be interested in it, even if it's not a “manga” in the most traditional sense.