You have no internet what do you do?

Topic started by Marshal Victory on July 16, 2014. Last post by GeneralVan 1 month, 3 weeks ago.
Post by Marshal Victory (2,543 posts) See mini bio Level 13

The internet diesI Dsl was out for me yesterday. So what does a anime fan do? Pray? Curse the fates an panic? Why yes an then I started watching some anime I had saved for just such a emergency!

1st up finished off on blue ray Soul Eater was down to the last disc any way, but never really seen it all the way threw. Think Excalibur stole the show for me tho. Probably because I would like to yell Baka! as much as he does.Ok that killed a few hours. I use http://www.arcsoft.com/totalmedia-theatre/ as my player on my computer an skiling the intros an end songs an crits were never easier.

Then with no internet an to sick to play any comp games off line I drowned my sorrow in more anime! Black Lagoon + Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage have on blue ray dvd combo an a bloody marathon was off to a high body count start. Seen more an caught more of the subtle use of dialogue an action in the series. From the 1st episode it tells you straight up it knows what it is. Which is to say self aware an does not care. It takes shots at its own dialogue as well as hollywood.

It sets the mood so well with its opening an closing music. A high energy almost metal song at the start to a down sober tune at the end. Kind of telling us when the adrenaline rush has passed whats left is dull remorse an regrets. Which sum up the shows bloody ride. Then I started on Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail . Never watched all of the series back to back an it flows fairly well. You see character evolution done with insight an history when watching it all together.

This was the MADHouse Studios that I love. Over the top action an animation. None of this over color saturation haze blur style they have had last few years on an off. Clear crisp style an lines all presented with no blur to hide the mistakes. Brutal gore unhindered by lens flair an unapologetic.

For me no time was wasted watching these discs of blue. A satisfying us of time to entertainment ratio. But it does beg the question.... What would you watch anime wise in a situtation similar to this? What anime do you have stored for just such a emergency?

Post by takashichea (13,756 posts) See mini bio Level 25

When I had internet problems, I actually used the computer labs at school or the library. The only big collection of shows I have to watch are not anime. I got the complete collection of Avatar the Air Bender and Wolverine's X-Men animated series.

Post by Whats_out_the_bag (1,595 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Start collecting anime bro. I love a shit load of anime in my room, I just sit back and enjoy them. Once you get a nice level you can watch even new anime that you've never seen.

Post by sickVisionz (4,309 posts) See mini bio Level 24

When the internet goes out for me I usually can't do much of anything. My internet is extremely reliable and if it's out, it probably means the power to the entire house is out as well. If the power is out, it's probably because there is a storm (lightning or snow) so it's not like I can go outside or leave and go somewhere else.

I generally just end up burning down my cell phone battery and then going crawling in bed and hoping that by the time I wake up, the power will be back. I've never had the net die during regular weather and without a power outage, but if it did I'd just play games or go to the movie theater or something.

@sickVisionz: Im in the hills of ol Kentucky an in the winter power outage for a few days is not that uncommon. But more common in the winter is dsl to die for half a day or better. An normaly I'll do the same . Having Sleep apnea means as a general rule I can go to sleep almost any time just not stay that way for very long.

This was a 1st for a summer day an not have dsl tho. Hope its a trend that does not grow. Would have played some games offline but was to ill to really enjoy it or put up much of a effort vs the computer.

Looks like tho older anime is migrating to Blue Ray an already spotted a few more titles for the collection, for just such a emergency. With my breathing problems etc etc going out is a rare. An going to a movie is out. Perfumes etc cause me to cough an have some discomfort. So I avoid out side life as much as a actual NEET.

@Whats_out_the_bag: I have a decent amount atm . Anime i own rather a decent start. But I'm on disability so cash flow is rather low an slow. But have been increasing said stock pile. Got Read or Die ova collection for a ten spot used threw amazon market place just the other month.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,376 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I will go to my gym or go over to my friend's house or play some games or reread some of my books or rewatch some of my Anime or work on my drawing. Using the internet is what I do on my spare time, won't bug that much

@Marshal Victory: Amazon, Right Stuf, and funimation. Are my favorite places to get anime cheap.

@Whats_out_the_bag: Used to love Right Stuff but they tried to short change me on a pre order. Had to grip alot to get it back an on time. Not sure if they was short on product or was a glitch. Been kinda wary of them after that :/

But I do check them when I look at stuff on amazon. Funimation has sales? Not seen them do one.

Post by Dream (8,104 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I've been collecting physical copies of anime for a while now. While I have Internet, the data cap I'm hassled with from my ISP prevents me from going full-steam on resorting to legal or not so legal means of getting my anime fix.

@Dream: Where ya from may I ask. Heard of data caps up in Canada. Really put a kink in from friends of mine who play mmorpgs up there.

@Marshal Victory: Upstate New York. The town I live in, I'm three miles out of the village and from getting cable. The wireless provider I get right now has me nailed with a measly 20 GB data cap.

Post by hitsusatsu11 (10,747 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Good thing u had Black Lagoon on hand

@Dream: Helps on the way .. http://www.maximumpc.com/bell_labs_zips_past_google_fiber_set_broadband_speed_record_2014 ! Future never gets here fast enuff to suit me. Data caps are bs. High peek hours over wireless 90% of bandwith is rarely used. Friend of mine used to set up cell phone towers. So ya data caps are to milk the customer.

But looks like some gona milk it while they can http://www.pcworld.com/article/2155286/comcast-exec-says-bandwidth-caps-for-all-to-return-within-five-years.html.

@hitsusatsu11: Still have some held back like Berserk on dvd. Next month may have to get more to hold back depending on what can find on sale.

@Marshal Victory:

Yeah Funimation has sales. They even have a SAVE section, where all of the anime are under 30 bucks, but a lot of good anime are around $20. I fell in love once I saw that.

@Marshal Victory: I wouldn't count Google Fiber getting near me anytime soon or ever as they seem to be aiming that to a very limited number of cities as such where they'll hardly be a threat to cable providers like Comcast or Time Warner Cable. Cable providers don't see any money in laying out cable where I am since the houses along my route are too far apart and I don't see everyone willing to pay $2000 per household to get it laid. My best bet at this point would seem to be local/ regional providers.

I could go into a long rant as to why service providers would love to fully implement data caps in their ideal world. But to make a long explanation short, it's all about money and trying to cripple us from fully resorting to the Internet for regular use of getting content as providers still want to milk TV packages for as long as possible since it's more difficult to get around advertisements on a TV than it is for Internet use.

@Dream: If the copper 10gb solustion pans out then fiber will be a thing of tech history. I'm on Windstream. An they are fairly solid about getn lines back up asap. They upgraded the dsl out here so im on average at 1.5 gb even tho im at the 3gb level . Just so far out . Now since this last outage im hiting 2.3 gb on average says http://www.cnet.com/internet-speed-test/ .

Also for years I was on dial up with 22kb connection. yes that slow. An was able to play mmorpgs like Everquest . People could not belive I could play. Storm would come in cause nose in the line an I would get disconnected .Newer stuff tho would not work tho.

Yeah no competition causes these caps. Its bs pure an simple. Um ya looked at http://www.hughesnet.com friend of mine in Alaska uses it for their work. He recently got dsl as well an keeps the huges net for work.

@Marshal Victory: I put as far distance as possible from satellite Internet. The latency on that sucks and would potentially screw up any downloads or streaming I do online since satellite is more temperamental with maintaining a regular connection with than wireless.

@Dream: Hmm my friend has no data caps on his. its just slow on bad weather days like dial up on upload speed he said.

@Marshal Victory: Check Hughesnet's offerings. They have data caps on their plans for as high as 40 GB a month. Sattelite Internet has periods during late night and early morning hours of unlimited usage being allowed that doesn't effect your data cap, said time periods depending on whomever you have as a provider.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel