Why has Toradora not been licensed?

Topic started by kratos1010 on Jan. 9, 2010. Last post by gia 4 years, 6 months ago.
Post by kratos1010 (78 posts) See mini bio Level 2
If you've seen it, you know what I mean. Its a darn good show, but it seems to have slipped below the radar of the American publishers. Is there still hope, or is there a reason why its been ignored thus far?
Post by JJOR64 (2,074 posts) See mini bio Level 16
I hope this gets licensed as well.  I haven't heard of anything about it getting licensed.  Maybe Funi will pick it up or some other company.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
The conventional wisdom is that "moe doesn't sell well" (I suspect that too many moe fans are also the sort who don't buy anime DVDs), which may explain it. On the other hand, it could be competition for the license; ASCII Media works get licensed across the board (Lucky Star => Bandai, Blue Drop => Section 23, Gunslinger Girl => Geneon/FUNimation, etc).

That said, FUNimation and Section23 seem to be the companies that gamble on the shounen rom-coms the most, although I wouldn't count Media Blasters or Nozomi out of anything either. VIZ and Bandai would probably be the long odds (I could picture Bandai getting it in more affluent times, but ATM I think they're trying to license fewer titles, but ones that are more sure bets).

Speculation on my part, natch.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel