What I'm watching, Spring 2010

Topic started by sickVisionz on May 1, 2010. Last post by Daniel_Newton 2 years, 4 months ago.
Post by sickVisionz (4,242 posts) See mini bio Level 24
I was going to make a thread about this but I figured I might as well as get the quest for making a blog.  This is a quick run down of what I'm watching this season and why I'm watching it.  Some of it new shows and some of it is continuing shows. 

Angel Beats 
I didn't know anything about this show when I first checked it out but I'm really enjoying it.  I saw the first few minutes of episode 1 and thought, "wow, they really just ripped Haruhi Suzumiya from her show and plopped her in to this one."  I still feel that way but you know what?  Haruhi is a cool character and not too many shows (I can't think of any, but just in case a few do exist) have copied her so well.  On top of that, Haruhi never really had serious death, gunfights, great rock AMVs and sword fights.  Plus this is drawn really well.  All of that combined to create something that feels familiar, yet unique and I'm loving it. 

Bleach 
Bleach is like comfort food to me.  It's not particularly good but they throw in enough fights and characters with interesting looking abilities to keep the kid in me happy.  On average, it's only mediocre but when they hit their stride it can be hilarious or deliver a great fight, which is all I'm really expecting it to do. 

House of Five Leaves 
I'm enjoying this one.  It's not particularly funny, there is close to zero action, there doesn't seem to be an overarching plot and it's episodic in the sense that each episode is it's own self-contained story... yet I anticipate it every week.  I really enjoy the characters in this show and the interactions that they have with each other.  That's what keeps me coming back for more.  They could never introduce a steady storyline and I'd be totally satisfied with this show and sing its praise. 

The Tatami Galaxy 
I'm only one episode deep on this show, but I can tell it's going to be a keeper for me.  I like the art style of it and the deviant nature of the characters.  It also makes me laugh out loud on a regular basis.  The only negative, and it's a minor negative, is that it's probably the first show where I'm glued to the bottom of the screen for significant chunks of time.  Some of the characters talk at rocket speed for extended periods of times and the subtitles are flying by. 

Rainbow 
There's a part of me that deeply enjoys disturbing and depressingly spirit-breaking anime.  Rainbow hits on a lot of that for me.  I don't find any of the characters to be appealing or particularly interesting, but their current situation and setting hold my interest. 

Kaichou wa Maid-Sama 
Every season I try to find one serious romance and one jokey silly non-super fanservice romance that I can latch on to.  A while back Itazura na Kiss was filling that role and this season Kaichou wa is doing it for me.  The dynamics between the male and female leads reminds me of Special A (I think it's Special A) but I couldn't get into Special A at all. 

Senkou no Night Raid 
I'm enjoying this one.  It's got a good mix action and interesting short stories that I enjoy a lot.  I'm all for huge overarching plots, but I also enjoy when a show can get in and get out in 24 minutes and execute it really well. 

B Gata H Kei 
For a show about a girl who wants to have sex with 100 people, this show is surprisingly tame and not as ultra panty shot as I figured it would be, which I'm enjoying.  The first episode is packed with that and I figured I'd drop it, which you might think as contradictory considering the next anime I'm going to list, but the next two really toned it down and it's settled into silly and sweet little romance with more awkward and clumsy situation than I can shake a fist at.

Kiss x Sis 
Hmmm.... there's not much I can really say about this one.  It reminds me of Kanokon, a show that I watched and enjoyed but I really felt bad about watching and enjoying.  Some shows have an it's not what it looks like thing or an it's so much more than just that thing going for them.  Kanokon and Kiss x Sis don't really have that.  It's just jokes and ultra pervy stuff. 

Naruto Shippuuden 
An odd choice to follow up Kiss x Sis, but it's what came to mind.  I love Naruto.  Alot of things that I love about Bleach are the same things I love about Naruto, except Naruto actually has a storyline rather than just plot twists.  This season should have a bunch of great fights back-to-back that I've been very excited to see for a few months now. 

One Piece 
I almost feel like I shouldn't have this here since I'm so far behind and nowhere near watching the current season, but meh, my list, my blog my rules.  One Piece takes the nonstop action all of the time from Bleach and replaces it with nonstop comedy all of the time.  Luffy has a really funny voice and character.  That's pretty much the reason I watch it.  I haven't seen a single fight that I thought looked good so the action is like a zero factor, but the comedy level is really high.  I also like that harsh things happen in the storyline and almost everyone's back story is some super depressing tale.  I'm crazy far behind (I only watch it as Hulu updates the backlog... meaning I'm about 300+ episodes behind) but I do plan to continue with it until I'm caught up.

FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood 
I'm not sure whether I like the story more than the original series or not, but this has surprised me a lot.  This series gains a lot in the transition from manga to anime.  There was a point in the manga where I had gotten extremely bored with it but then my interest piqued again.  I've been watching the anime and it's currently at the point where my interest piqued again, but I never experienced the boredom. 

Dragon Ball Kai 
Kai fills the same role as Bleach, except it's HD and nothing beats HD hand drawn art for me.  The storyline is meh, but who cares.  I just saw a dude rip a planet in half with a finger blast.  I came into DBZ late in the series so seeing the beginning is interesting.  The one thing I'm dying to see the most though?  Vegeta came to destroy the Earth and killed some of Bulma's childhood friends... how does he end up banging her out later on?  And not just that, they get married and have a kid.  My desire to see that transition and the fights are a big part of what keep me coming back for me. 

Katanagatari 
I love the art, the story is good, you're guaranteed at least one good fight per episode, it's got a sweet little romance going on, it makes me laugh on a regular basis but can also have sad or depressing moments into it and recently they introduced an Aizen like character who talks crap to everyone before mercilessly pwning them, which is something I always enjoy.  Katanagatari reminds of Angel Beats in that it's able to combine almost every aspect of anime that I enjoy into a single show and execute all of those aspects at a high level.  

Working 
Cute, funny, episodic and slice of life.  There is no season of Minami-ke but this show is a good replacement for what I loved about it.  It's just simple goofy fun.  It's also got my favorite OP of the season. 

--- 
I think that's about it.  I hear a lot of talk about how bad anime has gotten and how there aren't any good shows coming out anymore, but I don't think I've ever been watching and loving this much new anime at any time in the past.  Even if you took out the series that didn't start this season, I'm near double digits.
Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Thank you for being someone who finds interest in Rainbow. I'm watching a number of the anime you have here but I notice you don't have Ichiban. I'm a little behind on the Spring 2010 episodes but that will soon be taken care of.

Post by Cogito (478 posts) See mini bio Level 14
@sotyfan16:  @sickVisionz:  
I've been watching Ichiban, I know the 1st/2nd episode review say it's mostly ecchi/borderline hentai, don;t decide that until you finish episode 3, yes still has hentai and ecchi, but it really becomes more action and comedy oriented, even using the ecchi bits for comedy, and lamp shade hangs the trope. 
Also, in episode five there is a dragon...That Fires Drills From Its Mouth! 
That should be enough reason to watch. 

Also, One Piece gets very good in terms of action later on, keep watching. 

Note: I can't unbolden the last lines :(
@sotyfan16 @Cogito:   I've been meaning to check out Ichiban but I haven't gotten around to it yet.  I might end up checking it out during the downtime between this season and the next.   

*I think the bold glitch happens if you put to @nameX things on one line.  I had to copy all of my text into Notepad and then copy it back to make it go away*
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,182 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Found this blog attached to a wiki page, heh, it's kinda fun checking out blogs from a while back.

Did you enjoy Dragon Ball Z Kai? I've often wondered what new people would think of it going in blind, or at least mostly blind. How far did you get with it?

@Daniel_Newton: Well, I guess I'll wrap it up.

Holy smokes, that's 14 shows I was trying to actively watch at once. I'd never even attempt something like that now.

Dragon Ball Kai... I got tired of waiting one day and cheked out a bunch of old DBZ episodes to see the end of the cell arc. I'm only like 4 episodes from the end but I'll probably never watch them. The news that they wouldn't do the Buu arc bummed me out and made me lose all interest in continuing. One thing I was impressed by though is how damn slow paced DBZ is vs Kai, yet Kai never feels like it's rushing. I've seen the DBZ version for most of the cell battles and I can't really tell what was even cut, but the episode count is like halved. The editors did a really good job.

Angel Beats... this was good. I would have loved more random epiosdes of the gang just goofing off and being silly though. Some people thought the ending was rushed but I thought it was good. I think I would have gotten bored seeing every single character's back story.

Bleach... I don't even remember what was going on in Bleach. Based off the picture it was probably in those forever fights with every character that I could give a crap about. I think 2010 ended on a role that
House of Five Leaves... I thought this was a good series. I plan on buying the release.
The Tatami Galaxy... I stalled on this because it got so samey every episode and the last few episodes were meh to me, but I eventually finished it and enjoyed it. I will buy this.
Rainbow... Dropped it. It's been in my Hulu queue forever. I think I'm like 6 episodes deep. It's a 20+ episode show so I'll probably never get back around to finishing. It's very difficult for me to start series that I'm more than 13 episodes behind on.
Kaichou wa Maid-Sama... I got to like episode 16 or 17 and dropped this. This was around the time that I got sick of romance shows with no actual romance or relationships in them.
Senkou no Night Raid... dropped this. I didn't dislike it, but the fansubs stalled and when they came back I forgot about the series. It's on Netflix but I haven't felt compelled to finish it. Probably never will.
B Gata H Kei... sweet little show that's not as pervy as it sounds. I enjoyed it and plan to pick it up eventually.
Kiss x Sis... ahh, my show of shame. Similar to B Gata, this is not as pervy as it sounds, it's like 50x worse. I wanted something like Kanokon and ended up with something where a dude dreams about getting pissed on and gets a nose bleed when girls actually do piss on him. Plus, I wanted this to be way more serious than it ever had any plans on being. There was never going to be a Myself;Yourself situation where there are serious shame and social repercussions for incest.... certainly no suicide attempts from the guilt.
Naruto Shippuuden... What was going on... the picture is Akatsuki Orochimaru so I guess this was around the time of his death. I don't even remember what was happening. I'm still watching it now so it was good enough to not make me drop it, although I don't know what I was referencing with "bunch of great fights back-to-back that I've been very excited to see for a few months now."
One Piece... I said that I liked how everyone had a sob story background but eventually I got sick of it and after a while the no good fights wore me down. This is Maid-sama ended up as victims of my changing tastes.
FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood... I've been like 8 episodes away from the ending for a while but haven't been compelled to finish it.
Katanagatari... this show was amazing. It's the serious that got me into importing because I loved it so much that I felt compelled to directly pay the people who made it.
Working... cute and legitimately funny Too many moe shows are just cute and try to use that like cute = comedy. I've never gotten into that and luckily this series never forgot to actually have jokes and gags.

I hear a lot of talk about how bad anime has gotten and how there aren't any good shows coming out anymore, but I don't think I've ever been watching and loving this much new anime at any time in the past.
I still feel this way. Just counting what gets simulcasted (I don't watch fansubs anymore), multiple good shows are broadcast every season and a handful of truly great ones comes out each year. Maybe it's because, as you can see in this list, my tastes are all over the place and I'm not stuck in any one genre.
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,182 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@sickVisionz: Wow so you couldn't wait for new episodes and ended up watching Z instead? Haha, guess you must have enjoyed it quite a bit then, that's cool. Yeah the episode count difference between Z and Kai is kind of astonishing. What they took out was pretty much all filler that wasn't in the manga so that's probably why it didn't end up feeling too rushed, it was going at the original pace of the manga. I've not finished Kai yet, I've been watching the blu-ray releases (hearing Goku say bastard is kind of awesome) but I'm not in a rush since I've seen every episode of Z at least twice. I think they did a fantastic job with Kai, and yeah, I'm bummed out that they didn't get to cover the Buu stuff and finish all of Z too, but I guess it just wasn't popular enough unfortunately.

I've seen a few episodes of Angel Beats and was really enjoying it but I haven't got back to that series yet. I've only ever heard good things about it though so I'll have to watch the rest soon.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel