What grinds my gears

Topic started by Desisashi on April 10, 2009. Last post by Kou_Leifoh 5 years, 5 months ago.
Post by Desisashi (1,801 posts) See mini bio Level 8
ok what grinds my gears is the fact that when i work my ass to go see an anime viewing and it dosen't get me angry but its something tha concerns me that they always switch it to japanese dub. Whats up with that? its almost like they came to learn the language as well as watch the action i mean seriously it seems to show little appreciation for that fact that we have english dub anime which isn't bad ya know but they totally neglect it which is just bogiss and one more thing to the opnion that english dub sucks due to the voice actors that are not your liking well i just say too bad cuz that opnion which is probably used to much is why they frickin use the japanese dub instead the use of the language i was trained to use for my whole life now its like i have to learn japanese and i'll admit they have subtitles but thats not good enough since japanese can said very fast and some won't be able to read it quick enough and you'll be sayin "damn what did he just say?" and you'll be sayin that over and over tryin to read those subtitles some of but not all of you but fine if you like listening to the japanese dub thats fine but it just feels kinda unfair since im like one of the only ones to like listening to the english dub when they only feature the jap dub at the viewings but im not revolting against it im just gonna to each his own but im a lover of the english dub and they should use it as much as the jap dub and thats what grinds my gears thank you for reading.

warm regards Desisashi

p.s. whoever thinks that the bounts are lame bad guys are going down im serious i will frickin kill you. i'll tear your arm off stick it up your ass and call you a guysicle.

ok maybe that was the wrong way to go but i really think bounts rule 
Post by Baku_Sensei (464 posts) See mini bio Level 10
... punctuation. Sensei has spoken.
Post by Sigue (860 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Holy wall o' text Batman.

That being said, the Bount arc sucked and they are lame bad guys. Very lame.
sensei can eat his own words

look sigue just cuz they are an anime exclusive concept dosen't make them lame
Post by Nerx (13,843 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Bounts are LAAMEE, just a mediocre filler at best... the Shinigami accompanying the Bounts however is cool.
well at least you feel that way
Post by Neku (198 posts) See mini bio Level 5
Good dubs, like those in Fullmetal Alchemist and Death Note are good, but for the most part, you should always go with the subs.
Post by Sigue (860 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Neku said:
"Good dubs, like those in Fullmetal Alchemist and Death Note are good, but for the most part, you should always go with the subs."
That. Should have commented on this the first time, but my first reaction was to point out how lame the Bount arc was. That being said, a fairly large number of dubs are simply bad. Recent series generally have decent dubs, but trying to fit dialog into the mouth movements is always tricky, and sometimes the voices just don't fit. The reason people use the subtitle track is because the voices will often sound and fit better than they do in the dubs.
well i like dubs
Post by ScarletKittie (132 posts) See mini bio Level 16
The reason they probably show the sub rather than the dub is to keep it more 'pure'. Back in the day when dubs were the only way to watch anime it seemed more acceptable to people, but now that subs are so widely available, I think most people like to have the authentic Japanese feel. That's my take on it at least. I personally like subs better, but that's only because most dubs are casted horribly and it takes away from the overall experience.
Post by Kou_Leifoh (613 posts) See mini bio Level 10
I grew up on dubs because of Toonami. The dubs are not that bad, I simply enjoyed the DBZ English more than the Japanese. But one of the more rare cases where I would chose the Japanese over the English is the later episodes of Tenchi Muyo OVA.

Just listen to the original dub, and listen to the later ones.

Ryoko sounds terrible in the later episodes.
Post by Niko (865 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Where is the anime viewing at? Have you already discussed with whoever is running it to get some dubs shown? If it's something like a club, and the majority want to watch subs, there's not much you can do. It's a personal preference, and typically, the preferences of most people in a club wins out. However, you can try to demonstrate some good dubs to the people running it outside of the event in hopes that they'll enjoy it and show it that way.

My college club usually shows only subs, but sometimes on the preference of the person providing something that night, we may show a dub, or depending on the theme like our Toonami day. There's some we'll only watch dubbed too, like Golden Boy.
Post by Kou_Leifoh (613 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Niko said:
"Where is the anime viewing at? Have you already discussed with whoever is running it to get some dubs shown? If it's something like a club, and the majority want to watch subs, there's not much you can do. It's a personal preference, and typically, the preferences of most people in a club wins out. However, you can try to demonstrate some good dubs to the people running it outside of the event in hopes that they'll enjoy it and show it that way.My college club usually shows only subs, but sometimes on the preference of the person providing something that night, we may show a dub, or depending on the theme like our Toonami day. There's some we'll only watch dubbed too, like Golden Boy."
You guys have a Toonami day?
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel