what do people tell you when u tell them u watch anime/manga

Topic started by sjolle on May 23, 2010. Last post by kira112 4 years, 4 months ago.
Post by sjolle (24 posts) See mini bio Level 14
so yeah its ben on my mind for a while now ... how do people react to you when you tell them that you're watching anime / manga

ive allways gotten the impression that people thinks that anime = hentai wich allways tends to amuse me since they automaticly think ecchi anime is the only anime that's there

so my thoughts is what have YOU experianced of reactions when you tell people you watch anime / manga
Post by Quinn1697 (3 posts) See mini bio Level 2
Most people don't think anime=hentai. Most people don't even know what hentai is. 
Whenever i tell my friend to watch a anime, though, he always say something like "Stop that! you've already told me to watch like 5 other anime and I haven't finished one!"
Post by Mortein (1,558 posts) See mini bio Level 9
where I came from most people don't even know what anime is, so I tell them I watch cartoons :D
Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,319 posts) See mini bio Level 19
  Rosario + Vampire
  Rosario + Vampire
My parents almost always think Hentai when I mention Anime/Manga around them (my dad remembers seeing this CNN report about that 
Taboo Charming Mother  Hentai show that was causing a outrage among parents last year). They flipped out when they saw the covers on my latest order of manga (All 10 volumes of the Rosario + Vampire manga...especially the covers of Volume 2, 3, 5, and 8) and gave me grief about it.

Other people (such as my classmates and friends) all think that I am strange and a freak for watching anime or reading manga. Sometimes at college, I will pull out one of my Shonen Jump magazines and the cold, suspicious looks I get from people makes me get bumps on my arms.
Post by Chengy (1,711 posts) See mini bio Level 17

barely any of my friends know what hentai is, but the majority of my mates dont care or just laugh it off with a comment like geek or w.e, some of the others watch it themselves
Post by Sombre (113 posts) See mini bio Level 11
I just don't tell anyone. Hide your power levels, people!
Post by wwfunderaker (485 posts) See mini bio Level 15
When i mention anime, most people think im just watching cartoons. Dont really care what people say.
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
They usually just say I'm an otaku. Nothing further than that. 
Post by sjolle (24 posts) See mini bio Level 14
usualy if i talk about anime / manga  people tends to think of it as something ecchi wich allways amuses me since they lack the knowledge
Post by rein (5,465 posts) See mini bio Level 15
They give Me their mothers and sisters for consumption.
Post by Sonata (35,428 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I never received any kind of grief from it,  at time when I bring Manga into work people want to take a look at it:)
Post by Lemegeton300 (300 posts) See mini bio Level 10
they laugh and call me childish because they just think they are cartoons. i gave up trying to explain anime to them a long time ago
Post by Michiru (20 posts) See mini bio Level 9
I usaully get what's that? or oh yeah that's a cute Cartoon. an old neighbor of mine found I liked Anime so she gave me her Disney Movies to watch. lol So not the same thing. Most ppl don't know What Hentai is so I rarely get anything like that. 
Post by Ryokan (291 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Depend. 

Some think I just watch another kind of cartoon, which is true in a sense. Those are the most probably to think I'm childish. 

But most of the people I know are at least as geek and anime fan than me. (No mention perverted, lol ! ) so for them, the usual answer is : "Cool ! Which one ?"
Post by AnimeObsessor (252 posts) See mini bio Level 15
I think some people will understand if I tell them.
Post by JJOR64 (2,074 posts) See mini bio Level 16
"Anime is for jerks."
Post by hitsusatsu11 (10,747 posts) See mini bio Level 20
well i find most ppl look down on it, though I keep a Goku medallion hanging on my car mirror and while I was driving a buddy from college he looked at it and said "cool, is that Goku?" Which surprised me since this same buddy of mine has no idea what anime is, and ridiculed this other guy who was reading manga in class. (referred to it as that Japanese crap)

I myself liked DBZ and Gundam wing when I was a kid, but when i grew older i looked down on anime until a few friends convinced me to start watching Naruto and Bleach, and since then i got into more diverse titles.
Post by PrettyCoolGuy (46 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Strangely, almost all the people in my High School class liked anime, or at least appreciated its weirdness (A total of 42 people. I went to a small school) other people I tell about usually just say, "really? cool."  or "Is it any good?" I've created many an anime fan that way. I haven't had many problems with people bashing it so, yeah.

Post by sickVisionz (4,297 posts) See mini bio Level 24
@PrettyCoolGuy: This is what the reaction usually was when I was in college.  It might have been because I was friends with a couple of people who were really popular and turned out to be super anime fans, but whenever anime came up people either said something like, "That's those cartoons where people be f**king, right?" or "Oh, I've seen a couple." 

I never got any shock and awe or disgust.  Everyone I worked with seemed to have some idea of what it was, although I'm not sure why so many who hadn't seen one immediately thought it was all hentai.  They all weren't otaku and some of them could only describe a show in super basic terms (A girl asked if anime was like that Cartoon Network show with the school girl and the lady with a big boomerang) but almost everyone at least knew what it was. 

DBZ came out when I was in middle school and high school so I think a lot of people my age at least have fond memories of watching that as a kid.
Post by PrettyCoolGuy (46 posts) See mini bio Level 9
@sickVisionz: Exactly. DBZ, Sailor Moon, Kenshin, all those shows on Toonami were on after school all the time when I was in elementary school and on through my Jr. high years. So everyone I knew had some idea of what it was or, like me, had a Quote, "Dragonball Z childhood" So it wasn't really a thing that was looked down upon.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel